Are all properly Baptized Christians, Catholic?

http://barnabasnagy.com/wp-content/uploads/catholic_vs_protestant_.gif

Are all properly Baptized Christians, Catholic? In other words, are non-Catholic Christians, Catholic and don’t know it, or at least, “part” Catholic?

Can we agree that, on all the points where Catholics and Protestants agree that those beliefs were Catholic beliefs before they were Protestant beliefs?

Therefore, all non-Catholic Christian beliefs the originate in Catholicism are Catholic beliefs, shared by non-Catholic Christians?

Additionally, if a non-Catholic Christian agrees with 90% of what the Catholic Church teaches, isn’t that person, in a sense….90% Catholic in his/her beliefs?

First came Jesus (New Testament era.) …Then came the 12 Apostles….Then came His Catholic Church….Then, 300-500 years later, came the Bible. ….Then another 1000 years came Protestant, non-Catholic Christians.

The Bible is a Catholic book, which was collected, sorted, with some verses accepted and others rejected, approved and authorized by the Roman Catholic Church and by Roman Catholic Popes; protected, preserved and passed down to all the world, including non-Catholic Protestant Christians.

Are all properly Baptized Christians, Catholic? How is it possible for a non-Catholic Christian denomination to use a Catholic book, the Bible and who share Catholic beliefs… not be “part" Catholic”?

Your Thoughts?

This is what Catholics believe –

[size=3][FONT=Verdana][size=3][FONT=Verdana]The Nicene Creed****[/size][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
one in Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:

by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.

For our sake he was crucified
under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered, died, and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son
he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic
and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism
for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
**and the life of the world to come. **
Amen.

[/FONT][/FONT]

How much of this do you believe? Is there anything in the Nicene that you have a disagreement?

Our thoughts, or theirs?

We believe (as you know) that there is only one church, and all who are baptized are part of it - more or less “perfectly,” depending on their understanding and acceptance/obedience.

They believe that we fell into apostasy or corruption and so lost authority (after providentially providing them with an authoritative Book), or that we never had authority in the first place because Jesus didn’t intend to establish a church. The latter groups don’t know or don’t recognize that the Bible they depend upon depended upon the church’s authority.

No, not all Baptized Christians are Catholic. They are still are Christian brothers and sisters but they are not Catholic. The Catholic church is different from the Protestant church. When a Protestant becomes a Catholic they had to get rebaptized in the Catholic Church.

I don’t think that we as Catholics need to become Protestants. We can still be Christian brothers and sisters but we do not share the same faith. We believe in many things that Protestants do not believe in. Like in Holy Communion we Catholics believe Jesus is the bread and is really the bread we receive. Protestants do not think it is actually Jesus in the bread and wine but only in memory of him. That is one big difference. We also honor Mother Mary and Protestants do not honor Mary in the same way.

I personally like being Catholic and I don’t want to become Protestant. I have good Protestant friends who I love and have fellowship with, but we do not believe the same. I don’t think Protestants should be allowed to take communion in the Catholic church.

I know I am old fashion.

Christine

haven’t read all posts but i know non-Catholics who seem more Catholic… and definitely more enthused about Jesus than Catholics…

even so, i voted that they were part-Catholic…

There is nothing like being fully Catholic… nothing in this world

especially one who knows about and visits the **Blessed Sacrament **oftne…

not often enough, though… :frowning:

All persons who have come to faith in Christ are part of the holy catholic church. Sadly, most Christians have not been validly baptized.

I agree with the Nicene Creed as posted above.

Most people who are received who have been baptised in Protestant churches are NOT rebaptised. Most receive Confirmation and Eucharist. Only those who have not been baptised or whose baptisms were invalid (baptized without water, or not in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) are rebaptized. The Catholic church recognizes Christian baptism without regard for denomination, because the agent in Baptism is God, not the human minister. Christ is not divided.

When we are baptized we become members of the Body of Christ through the grace of God. It has nothing to do with being a Roman Catholic, an Anglican or a Baptist but about accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior and receiving through God’s boundless mercy His gift of grace.

All baptized Christians are members of the Body of Christ! I am a Christian first, then a member of the Episcopal Church.

God Bless!
Your Sister in Christ

How do you account for this statement? Neither Scripture nor tradition says that full immersion is the only valid form of baptism. The Didache itself says that sprinkling is perfectly acceptable. The Didache is an early second century church manual used by early Christians. For 1,500 years the Catholic method of baptism was perfectly fine. Most Protestants and Catholics baptize in the name of the Holy Trinity, some immersion some by sprinkling. Both are equally valid.

Anyone baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity who accepts Christ as their saviour and redeemer is a Christian. But being Catholic means adhering to the creeds, respecting Holy Tradition (in other words, not ordaining women, being “ok” with abortion, turning a blind eye to re-marriage after divorce, accepting gay ‘marriage,’ etc.) and having apostolic succession. Belief in the Eucharist is crucial as well. All Catholics are Christian but not all Christians are Catholic. It’s kind of like a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn’t a square lol…

Respecting Holy Tradition? Has the Roman Catholic Church gone back to following the tradition that Jesus set by allowing men to be married when they enter the priesthood like Jesus’ apostles?

It is easy to say that we are “Catholics”, “Episcopalian”, or “Methodist” but walking the Christian faith is where many of us stumble. Getting your ticket punched in your Church on Sunday is easy. It is about being a follower of Jesus Christ and allowing His love to shine through us in our daily lives that gets tough. As Christians, we are blessed to know that God is always with us and always available with open arms.

As far as Baptism, I have often questioned that we should do more of them down at the river or at the Gulf (:wink: ) instead of in our Churches only surrounded by like minded Christians. Witnessing Baptisms are very emotional for me and remind me of the responsibility that I have as a child of God to share His message.

God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.