Are any of these sinful?

I have a few questions as to a few things and whether or not they are sinful. I always see Jesus drawn with long hair, but I heard someone say that it is a sin to have long hair. I also am reading “The Maker’s Diet” and he pointed to a place in Leviticus where it warns us against body piercing and tatoos, and though he said it was for health reasons, I’m just wondering if there are moral reasons behind that as well. Anyway, here are the things I have a question about:

short hair/long hair? How long is too long?

Shaving? Lev 19:22 "You shall not round off the hair from your temples nor mar the edge of your beard"

Piercing?

Something unrelated, but I keep spilling my coffee on my desk so I thouhgt I would ask…

Is caffiene a sin?

Why would caffiene be a sin?

The passage the anti-long hair folks use most is this:
1 Corinthians 11:14
"Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears his hair long it is a disgrace to him,"

I, being a rebellious type anyway, tend to think this verse is open to some skepticism as to what constitues “long hair”. Also I wonder about St.Paul’s analogy because if his example is nature, then why does the lion have the mane?

As for Tatoos and piercings…again St. Paul calls our bodies the temple of the Holy Spirit and I know that ther is a passage in the OT that forbade the Jews from tatooes. Personally, my momma always taught me not to even write on myself…

Mosaic law regarding things like clothing, food, tattoos, et cetera, is not now nor has it ever been binding on anyone except Jews. Now, that said, certain types of piercing are just plain foolish (i.e., tongue piercing).

The so-called prohibition against long hair has to be read within its cultural context. “Long hair” in Jesus’ day and age, heavily influenced as it was by Greek culture, meant that men would seldom ever wear their hair longer than shoulder length. Longer than that, and the hair become “womanish.” I don’t think it’s too much to ask that men not be “womanish,” but bear in mind that what that means is heavily conditioned by culture.

Also keep in mind my hair hasn’t been much longer than 1/4-inch for going on 20 years (not counting a few years in college when I couldn’t afford regular haircuts). So maybe I’m not the best person to be talking about what constitutes “long.” :smiley:

– Mark L. Chance.

Well, would it be a sin for a man to wear a skirt?
I think a lot of people would think cross-dressing is a sin, but nobody thinks kilts are sinful, and Jesus didn’t exactly wear pants…

So then, basically the problem with shaving and having long hair is that it makes you look womanish then?

The Scots wear kilts.

[quote=katybird]Well, would it be a sin for a man to wear a skirt?
I think a lot of people would think cross-dressing is a sin, but nobody thinks kilts are sinful, and Jesus didn’t exactly wear pants…
[/quote]

Things such as hair styles and clothing styles are very much culturally relative. There is nothing instrinsically “female” about having long hair, nor is there anything intrinsically “female” about wearing a skirt.

I think the funny thing is when people get the tattoos, they are doing so to be different, and in affect, they are conforming to a nonconformist group. Kind of like being nondenominational. It’s not possible.

Btw, all three of my brothers have their last name tattooed across their chest. My dad is proud.

Some would say that tattoos are mutilation and therefore sinful. But what about earrings then? I guess it depends on what and where the tattoo is and what the intent is. Sinful or not, I think they are a very bad idea.

Hair length has no moral quality. It is neither intrinsically sinful or intrinsically good. Cross-dressing would be sinful, unless it was for some kind of costume or play or something like that.

Caffeine, like anything else, is not sinful in moderation. If it becomes unhealthy for you or you become unduly dependent on it, then it is sinful.

[quote=katybird]Well, would it be a sin for a man to wear a skirt?
[/quote]

Kilts are not Skirts, they are Kilts.

A Skirt is an american term for short dress, which you would not have seen on women back when Kilts were introduced. All dresses were long, cept maybe that of harlots and such.

Jesus’s hair didn’t look like someone from an 80’s rock video either, and he also wasn’t white. LOL

Peace of the Lord be with you all.
NotSoBigDan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.