Are beliefs a sin?

This question came up on another thread about homosexuality, and other beliefs that are sinful.
If one believes that it is acceptable to another but doesn’t practice themselves via any sin than is one sinning?
In other word s if you condone it than is it your belief also?

dessert

This would be a sin, but I’m not sure how grave a sin it would be - that would mostly depend on the individual person.

Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver said the following in a recent address (which First Things has posted in full):

But tolerating lies about the nature of the human person is a sin. Tolerating grave evil in a society is an equally grave evil. And using “tolerance” as an excuse for not living and witnessing Jesus Christ in our private lives and in our public actions is not an act of civility. It’s a form of cowardice.

We can never act in a manner that compromises our Catholic witness. To do so is sinful. When we act towards beliefs in a manner that compromises the integrity of our witness, we sin.

Blessings,

Gerry

Hi
leaving the specific issue aside, I would add to the topic in more general terms.
Yes, beliefs are sins if we make no effort to correct them, since actions generate from sins. Human could err, they are prone to make mistakes as even JesusYeshuaIssa as per ChrisitanScriptures made some mistakes as did most of the ProphetsMessengers being only human being made mistake, no exception. Sin is altogether a different thin, it is purposeful rebellion against GodAllahYHWH, which no ProphetMessenger ever committed.
So to purity one’s bleifs one should make a concerted effort, listening to the rational, reasonable and logical argumemt of the fellow human beings and accepting the truth readily and happily, in no case one should be arrogant and shut one’s ears.
May GodAllahYHWH bless you!
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

What “mistakes” are you referring to? Jesus, being God the Son, made none.

And I’m unclear on what is meant by “actions generate from sins.” St. Paul commented once, “be angry, but do not sin.” He was not commending anger, just noting its ubiquitous nature, and noting that it could lead to sin, but the statement makes it clear that anger itself was not a sin. We can sin by forming an intent, even though we are thwarted in carrying it out, but passing thoughts, feelings, or emotions are not, in themselves, sinful, though they can lead to sinful actions – or not.

Blessings,

Gerry

Hi
To me Paul never followded Jesus or apostles, he was their enemy in the first place.
He always misunderstood the words of JesusYeshuaIssa.
I however respect your religion.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

Did Muhammed ever kill another human?

Hi
I don’t think he ever killed any person? He was a peaceful person.
Thanks

dessert posted;

This question came up on another thread about homosexuality, and other beliefs that are sinful.
If one believes that it is acceptable to another but doesn’t practice themselves via any sin than is one sinning?
In other word s if you condone it than is it your belief also?

I am not homosexual. But I will always challenge any derogatory language or insult against homosexuals. Does that makes me complicit? :slight_smile:

So this is wrong?

Nevertheless, with every allowance for exaggeration, Mohammed is shown by his life and deeds to have been a man of dauntless courage, great generalship, strong patriotism, merciful by nature, and quick to forgive. And yet he was ruthless in his dealings with the Jews, when once he had ceased to hope for their submission. He approved of assassination, when it furthered his cause; however barbarous or treacherous the means, the end justified it in his eyes; and in more than one case he not only approved, but also instigated the crime.

newadvent.org/cathen/10424a.htm

I am an Ahmadi - a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

:thumbsup:

Generally, it has been my experience that homosexuals find it insulting when people tell them the Truth of their sins. “Who are you to tell me what to do. How insulting!”

Should we NOT tell them the truth because it is insulting to them?

ricmat said:

Should we NOT tell them the truth because it is insulting to them?

Providng they have the right to tell me [and you] about our shortcomings.

A good guide about whether we should tell someone about their sins is from Matthew ch 7 v 1-2 “Pass no judgement and you will not be judged. For as you judge others, so you will yourselves be judged and whatever measure you deal out to others will be dealt back to you”!

Of course they have the right to tell us of our shortcomings. I have many, and I’m probably not aware of some.

One of the spiritual works of mercy is to “admonish the sinner”. This doesn’t mean to “judge them” as in “you’re going to hell”, but only means to speak the truth - “what you are doing is a sin - go and sin no more.”

I’m sorry…but this (to me) sounds almost “high and mighty”. Who are any of us sinners to tell someone “go and sin no more”?

It is only high and mighty if the person saying it thinks of it that way. The fact that it is perceived as high and mighty by sombody else doesn’t actually make it high and mighty.

OK - you don’t have to use those exact words…but the idea is that when somebody sins, TELL THEM THAT THEY ARE SINNING! Not do do so is actually a sin for you. Really.

Our whole society is screwed up because of political correctness and moral relativism. And fear of speaking the truth.

Someone needs to speak the truth, and if not us, then who?

According to the Catechism several forms of beleifs are sins, Like condoning sins of others, failing to denounce sinful acts, and things of those nature are actually sins, so like people who support gay rights and abortion even in suporting, not partaking in the acts themselves is still grave sin, because it allows and encourages the fall of others into sin.

" Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you, not as the world gives do I give it to you. " John 14;27 NAB
New Catholic Answer Bible

Peace ; the traditional Hebrew salutation sa’lo’m , but Jesus’ ‘Shalom’ is a gift of salvation, connoting the bounty of messianic blessing. **

Pax; Peace;Shalom; to all on this memorial day Dessert

Respect my religion? No you don’t.

St Paul WAS an apostle, so the observations that he was an “enemy” are just not on. You may think you know what my religion is, but statements like that are clear proof that you have no idea what the Christian faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church entails. And you can’t respect what you don’t know about.

Blessings,

Gerry

Paul had to deal with persecution from both the Jews and the Gentiles.
The apostle was opposed by some Jews simply for preaching Jesus and by others (who believed in Jesus) for not requiring Gentiles to become proselytes to Judaism.
Paul was opposed by gentiles because he led his converts to abandon their traditional gods.
Paul demonstrated deep commitment to the churches he planted, and his emotional ties to the new converts were deep.

Pax; Dessert

" Be Jesus … Share Jesus"
Blessed Mother Teresa **

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.