Are bodyguards dispensable human beings?

I don’t know, I was just thinking… God created us all equal, right? Are bodyguards then trained that they’re …dispensable, or that their life isn’t worth as much as the person they’re protecting? I don’t know why I thought of this, maybe I’m just looking at the concept of having bodyguards all wrong, but I’d like to know.

Rather than being “dispensable,” I would say that those who choose to be bodyguards are indispensable to those people they protect. A bodyguard who is killed cannot continue to protect. Insofar as I understand it, a bodyguard’s job is primarily to prevent violence from occurring in the first place. It is an indicator that security has failed if a bodyguard has to throw his body into the path of an oncoming bullet. But, if the worst happens, then the bodyguard is a hero for being willing to lay down his life to protect someone whose safety is necessary for the common good of all (e.g., a president, a pope). Jesus said:

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.