Are both species common where you live?

I was thinking about communion in both species earlier and realized I've never been to a mass where only one was offered. I've been to most of the churches in my Archdiocese for mass and I've never seen one form only. I hear people on this forum talk about having the Cup on a limited basis and it seems so foreign to me. My own parish uses both forms every day and Sunday. In your church do they use both species? Do most of the parishes in your diocese or archdiocese use both species?

For my diocese: In small parishes, generally yes. But in big parishes, generally no. It just isn't practical to offer the chalice to the laity in big parishes. It holds up the line, and there is a greater risk of it spilling. I go to a parish of 100 people, but the chalice holds up the line, because there can sometimes be 5 people in line for the chalice.

Both species is the norm in my parish. Though we may only partake of The Body of Christ if there is going to be a lot of people at a particular Mass. Like on Holy days of obligation. Though I think sometimes, even then, we still use both species until we run out of the precious blood.

Both species is the norm where I live.
Mary.

Yes. Both here.

In the two parishes I frequent, one does, one doesn't -- except the "does" has just suspended the Cup for the " cold and flu season."

The previous Cardinal had asked all parishes in our archdiocese to make both species available on Sundays (for the Ordinary Form of the Mass.) I believe the new archbishop has continued that policy.

Generally both species. There has been the odd time when the Priest has opted for the single species (not sure why but he would have good reason).

Depends on the parish. Even some of the larger parishes offer it but I think it is a matter of personal choice. I have attended masses where either one or both were offered. It just depends really.

Our Parish is small, and we have no Deacon. The number of people attending on weekdays is small, unless it's a Holy Day of Obligation. We do have both species on both Saturday Vigil Mass and on Sunday, but not during the week. Most of the EMHC's who assist by serving the Chalice are either working or are volunteers in critical services, so only one is usually at the weekday Masses. Therefore, only the Host is offered on weekdays, and both species on weekends and Holy Days.

Yes, at all Masses.

In our diocese both species are present at all Masses.

DGB

I did not realize it was a common Latin practice to not have both species. At the parishes I've attended in my area there is always both species (although I did have an argument with a priest once because I had served and he refused to permit me to serve the Blood because it was a "time impracticality" since I had already received the Body - of which I had an issue since I'm used to receiving both at the same instance anyway).

Particularly for weekdays, I find it a little odd that that intinction isn't used. In general, the congregation on weekdays is small, and it would be rather easy for the priest to use an intinction set.

I live in Mexico, and most of the time we have just one, the host. I even had one time where I was only given the cup, not the host, and told that would "count" just the same as both.
We have one all the time.

[quote="MorEphrem, post:13, topic:347529"]
I did not realize it was a common Latin practice to not have both species. At the parishes I've attended in my area there is always both species (although I did have an argument with a priest once because I had served and he refused to permit me to serve the Blood because it was a "time impracticality" since I had already received the Body - of which I had an issue since I'm used to receiving both at the same instance anyway).

[/quote]

Only recently has the chalice been offered to the laity. It's only been offered to the laity since the early 70s. Before that, the last time the laity were offered it was the 1200s.

P.S., please do not complain about not being able to receive the Blood, unless you have a gluten intolerance that prevents you from receiving the Host. You receive Christ fully and equally under both species, so there should be no reason for you to complain.

In my parish both the bread and wine are available at all Masses. The only time was when there is a directive by the archdiocese to refrain during "flu season."

The average weekend Mass has about 350 attendees and our daily Masses have about 70 attendees. Both species are available at all Masses

At my parish, we receive the host.

We generally have both available.

Keep in mind that even when the Cup is available, you don't have to receive from it, if you prefer not to.

We have a pretty large parish for the US. Depending on the Mass, we have between 200 to 600 people attending.

[quote="bben15, post:16, topic:347529"]

P.S., please do not complain about not being able to receive the Blood, unless you have a gluten intolerance that prevents you from receiving the Host. You receive Christ fully and equally under both species, so there should be no reason for you to complain.

[/quote]

I am entitled to the discipline of my own Church, of which gives both species unless one is inaccessible. I did not contest the "fullness" of Presence in one species, however, if both are available I am to be facilitated in receiving what my Church's discipline dictates. It is like if a communed infant under the age of 7 attended a Latin mass; they would be entitled to the reception of communion because of the discipline of their Church and despite the scandal or objections Latin laity or clergy might raise they are entitled to it.

Christ did not say this is my Body and Blood: take your pick. :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.