Are capital sins always mortal sins?

OK, I need some help figuring this out. I posed this question to “Ask an Apologist” a few weeks ago, but apparently, it was not deemed worthy of an answer.:o

Any way, I know that the seven deadly, or capital sins, of sloth, gluttony, pride, greed, wrath, lust, and envy are sins, but at what point do move from being a venial sin to a mortal sin? Or are they always mortal sins? For instance, if I go to a party and over eat a bit, not to the point that I am ill, but maybe just a bit uncomfortable, is that a mortal or venial sin? Or if I just don’t feel like doing all of my housework one day, because I’m tired, etc., am in in a state of mortal sin because I’m being “lazy.”

Can someone please explain this to me like I’m a 3rd grader.

Thank you for your time.

When committing a mortal sin there are three things necessary. First, it has to be a gravely serious sin, second, you have to know that it is a mortal sin, and third, you have to fully intend to do that sin.

Going to a party and overeating a bit is not a mortal sin. It is a venial sin at most. First, overeating a bit is not a serious sin unless it becomes a habit, second, most of the time we don’t realize we are overeating until it is too late, and third, our appetites can get the better of us at times and we can be caught out.

Not doing your housework one day because you are tired is not a sin at all. It definitely fulfils none of the conditions necessary for a sin to be mortal. You are tired and you rest for one day and probably deserve it. :slight_smile:

Please don’t give up on the Apologist. It can take a while.

Capital sins aren’t necessarily mortal sins. If you eat yourself to death, or you’re too lazy to pull someone who’s drowning out of a pool, etc, you are probably looking at serious sin; but certainly not if occasionally you take a couple of extra chocolate cake slices, or give yourself a needed break…

I hope you’re not so hard on yourself as to think taking an occasional break from housework is a mortal sin.
Jesus went out for a meal occasionally, and spent time at at least one wedding party. As St. Teresa of Avila/Jesus said, “there’s a time for fasting and a time for feasting!”

Within reasonable bounds you ought to nurture yourself as chronic self-neglect can lead to illness and depression

A feeling of anger, lust, envy etc isn’t of itself a sin. Natural feelings aren’t sin. The degree to which you consent or harbour feelings can have some sinfulness. If you murder someone or act in such a way a to deliberately harm, or you wilfully neglect someone in your care to their detriment, you’re sinning.

Thank you for your replies, you have been very helpful!:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.