Are catechumens damned?

If a catechumen wants to be baptized but dies beforehand and has mortal sin on his soul, is there a reasonable hope for his salvation? Is that hope altered in any way if the catechumen must be baptized conditionally due to a sketchy baptism in another church?

Nope. The church teaches that catechumens are Catholics and would have a baptism of desire.

(BTW…hobbits don’t wear shoes…:D)

CM has it right, this is how it was explained to me when I went thru RCIA.

BTW: Hobbit, there are only a few “churches” and very specific circumstances where your past Baptisim wouldn’t be considered valid - this is something that you should discuss with your Pastor or RCIA director. :slight_smile:

OP, get a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, or read online.

The Church has always believed that catechumens are covered by baptism of desire.

Catechism of the Catholic Church Paragraph 1281:

1281 Those who die for the faith, those who are catechumens, and all those who, without knowing of the Church but acting under the inspiration of grace, seek God sincerely and strive to fulfill his will, can be saved even if they have not been baptized (cf. LG 16).

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1259 For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#VI

You’re thinking of Yankees.

Nope.

But hobbitshoe in their gardens. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks everyone. I had been wondering if baptism of desire applied here. As far as RCIA is concerned…they sent me here. Thanks again for your help!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.