Are Catholics Allowed to Mary Non-Catholics?

Am I allowed to date a woman who rejects the authority of the Roman Pontiff and all the sacraments?

Could I marry her?

Of course you could.

Everyone in this thread is telling me I can’t :frowning:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=739908

Before the Second Vatican Council it was highly discouraged to marry non-Catholics as this leads to problems in the home, especially with Catholic identity. After the Council this idea was done away with. But, I think the idea that one should marry another Catholic is a good practical principle in any case and besides there are hundreds of millions of Catholic women to choose from out there, why choose another pond to fish in;) Get it.

[quote="fordhamstudent, post:4, topic:309251"]
Before the Second Vatican Council it was highly discouraged to marry non-Catholics as this leads to problems in the home, especially with Catholic identity. After the Council this idea was done away with. But, I think the idea that one should marry another Catholic is a good practical principle in any case and besides there are hundreds of millions of Catholic women to choose from out there, why choose another pond to fish in;) Get it.

[/quote]

There is no other pond...Catholic means "universal"...what one says or "believes" is one thing...how one lives is what's really important.

[quote="PopeLover, post:3, topic:309251"]
Everyone in this thread is telling me I can't :(

[/quote]

We are telling you it's a very bad idea!!, not that you can't. I'm curious as to what your FSSP priest would say when you two show up for marriage prep and she's a sedevacantist. As I told you in the other thread, go talk with him.

[/quote]

That's just fear based religious thinking....Trust God...Love People.

[quote="tskrobacz, post:7, topic:309251"]
That's just fear based religious thinking....Trust God...Love People.

[/quote]

Have you even read the thread and do you know she's a member of the SSPV. They (the SSPV) are the ones with fear-based (and heretical) thinking. You don't want to know what that group thinks about the ECC or anyone else that's not part of their version of Catholicism.

[quote="LightBound, post:8, topic:309251"]
Have you even read the thread and do you know she's a member of the SSPV. They (the SSPV) are the ones with fear-based (and heretical) thinking. You don't want to know what that group thinks about the ECC or anyone else that's not part of their version of Catholicism.

[/quote]

Oh my...she's not left handed too is she?

[quote="tskrobacz, post:9, topic:309251"]
Oh my...she's not left handed too is she?

[/quote]

:rolleyes: No, I think she might be ambidextrous though!! Better watch out for ones like that! :p

I am so confused now :(

What does the Holy Roman Church say?

[quote="PopeLover, post:11, topic:309251"]

[/quote]

Love.

[quote="PopeLover, post:11, topic:309251"]

[/quote]

^^^^^^ Your question itself is a great example of the problem here -- you care what the Holy Roman Church says.

She doesn't. She says that she knows better than the Church.

Why would you want to marry someone who looks down on your Church?

[quote="fordhamstudent, post:4, topic:309251"]
Before the Second Vatican Council it was highly discouraged to marry non-Catholics as this leads to problems in the home, especially with Catholic identity. After the Council this idea was done away with.

[/quote]

It is not true that we did away with this idea. If you will look in Canon Law, you will see that marriages to non-Catholics are prohibited without the permission of the ordinary, who can grant permission for a "just and reasonable cause". (Cann. 1124-1125.) A just cause is a low barrier in Canon Law, but the fact remains that it is still up to the discretion of your bishop. (And this is the Code of 1983, which came 20 years after Vatican II, so please don't correlate everything with the Council.)

To the OP: The Church, in these cases, allows us the freedom to make our own prudential judgements about whom to marry. You will get a lot of advice from both sides in this matter. It might be best for you to seek a spiritual director whom you trust, and discuss your future life with him. The vocation of marriage is a life-changing one, and not to be taken into lightly.

The traditional teaching of the Roman Church is that mixed marriages are forbidden, if you are coming at this from a traditionalist perspective. See: newadvent.org/cathen/09698a.htm

The contemporary teaching of the Church is reflected in this article: ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/MIXED.TXT

Please speak to your priest about the situation. He is the best one to advise you. :)

[/quote]

No, they are telling you to be very cautious.

Marrying someone who is not Catholic, in full communion with the Pope, can make for a very difficult marriage and family life. You will have issues over where to go to church, what to teach your children, potentially over end of life issues and even where to be buried.

There are enough things even for two Catholics to disagree over when married and raising a family. To deliberately make things even more difficult isn't wise. That is what people are warning you about.

There is also a difference between someone of another faith entirely, a Christian who grew up as a protestant, and a person who should be Catholic, but who denies the authority of the Pope. In the first two instances there are known differences and usually others who have navigated (for good or for ill) that road before you. In the case of the SSPV person, differences will crop up in areas where you least expect it, it will be more difficult to separate truth from confusion, and you are likely to have very little support.

Share your concerns with your priest and take his advice seriously. I doubt he will tell you there isnothing to worry about.

BOTH are important. And marrying someone in schism is a BAD idea.

And don’t put “believes” in quotes like that.

Maybe he has a point to put it in quotes. I assume both PopeLover and the girl are young, maybe very young, so her love affair with SSPV may be only a short phase in her life (I bet her sedevacantist ideas are quite recent). Young people often go through such phases and then evolve. It’s like growing pains or the latest fashion. There must be a reason why PopeLover likes her so much; if she were narrow-minded, arrogant, hateful towards the “unenlightened” (add any other feature of a Rabid Schismatic with Deep and Structured Convictions), I guess he would have noticed.

@ PopeLover: Don’t be discouraged. Talk to her first! Just be careful not to give her the impression that you entertain the idea of being “converted” (I mean you really don’t have to go to a SSPV chapel to prove that you love her and that you want to know her better :slight_smile: )

Yes, they are allowed to marry. I will use myself as an example. My father was a Lutheran and mom was a Roman Catholic. They were married in the Catholic church and though my father never converted, he saw to it that all of the children were raised and schooled in the Catholic faith. Every Sunday he attended mass with his family without fail. Our parish priest was an honored guest in our home and they were good friends. Years later when he died, his funeral was held in our Catholic church. The priest giving the eulogy at my father's funeral said that he was truly a man of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.