Are Catholics more energized and confident than ever?

I am new to the faith (2 years), but have attended Catholic Church for the 13 previous years of my marriage. I don’t know if it is just me simply “seeing the light” (I don’t think it is), but I have seen over the last few years an energy in Catholicism that I haven’t seen before. Websites like this, forum discussions, debates with learned Catholic apologists triumphing over their Protestant antagonists, radio programs, EWTN, Tony Blair converting, etc., etc…(rumor has it that George W. will convert when he leaves office. He did appoint 2 Catholic Supreme Court Justices, met twice in the last couple of months with the Pope and seemed to have a great time, his brother Jeb is a convert…). Whatever it is, something appears to be happening here. Anyway, to sum it all up, the old stereotype of the cowering Catholic trembling silently when confronted and being browbeat with Bible verses and pamphlets seems to be over. Am I misguided, or is something happening here?

Certainly could be.

I found that the aggressive presentations of anti-Catholic propaganda attacks made me dig into it all to find out the truth so ultimately it backfired big time! :smiley: It also equipped me to deal with future encounters of the evangelistic kind.

I tell about it in my testimony.

Are Catholics more energized and confident than ever?
ABSOLUTELY!
I can feel it in every fiber - something is happening in The Church and I get the sense that something is also happening world wide and people are starting to wake up to the reality that we humans can’t do it on our own and we need God to sort out all our problems.

I also feel that God is now immanently ready to act to correct heresies and humanity as a whole may be in for a very grave wake up call or it may be still possible to avert if Catholics get back their holiness and start praying like there is no tomorrow.

Something is definately happening.

James

Hi,
I read your testimony. Wonderful! Good for you.
I too have come back to the church about 7 years ago. I , too, am a cradle-catholic.
I was looking for a catholic bible study class but couldn’t find one so of all things I hooked up with 2 JW’s. Now I know what you are thinking—but it was the best thing that I could’ve done. I knew enough about my Catholic faith to know when they were off the mark. Unfortunately, I didn’t know my bible well enough so it forced me to study so I could explain why I believed what I did as a catholic.
As you may have guessed I didn’t get any where with them but because of them I have a greater knowledge of my own faith and a wonderful little library of reference books. I also don’t study with them any more because I believe bible study should be fun and not frustrating.
I found a bible study lead by a deacon and enjoy it fully.
Did you know that tears are a gift of the Holy Spirit?
I too cry sometimes at Holy Communion and I thank God every day that he has called me back and to never let me wander again.
God bless you for sharing your testimony.
JeanneH

Cool! Isn’t the Holy Spirit amazing!

I was looking for a catholic bible study class but couldn’t find one so of all things I hooked up with 2 JW’s. Now I know what you are thinking—but it was the best thing that I could’ve done. I knew enough about my Catholic faith to know when they were off the mark. Unfortunately, I didn’t know my bible well enough so it forced me to study so I could explain why I believed what I did as a Catholic.

Boy, that had to be weird! :rotfl:

I also had to engage in discussions and debates with n-Cs who challenged me about Catholic teaching, (or supposed Catholic Teachings. :rolleyes: ) and having been a fairly diligent Bible student as an n-C I discovered that my knowledge of the scripture is (at least) equal to their and in many cases better. (still is in fact…:shrug: )

As you may have guessed I didn’t get any where with them but because of them I have a greater knowledge of my own faith and a wonderful little library of reference books. I also don’t study with them any more because I believe bible study should be fun and not frustrating.

Yep, that was how I have found it with them. I sometimes find myself interacting with JWs and they find it a bit weird that a Catholic knows the Bible and the doctrines of Christianity better than they do. You’re right though…it’s rare to get anywhere with them. You just have to pray for 'em.

I also have a pretty decent library now and will probably spend the rest of my life reading and rereading my way through it.

I found a bible study lead by a deacon and enjoy it fully.

That is really cool. RCIA was great for my wife and I.

Did you know that tears are a gift of the Holy Spirit?

I heard that after I came home to the faith. I sensed it, but it was good to hear it from others.

I too cry sometimes at Holy Communion and I thank God every day that he has called me back and to never let me wander again.

God bless you for sharing your testimony.
JeanneHExactly! :slight_smile: One of the priests that taught us in RCIA was teaching the Eucharist and when I brought up this verse from the Douay-Rheims New Testament of the Our Father, “Give us this day our supersubstantial bread.” he grinned and pointed out that the word that St. Jerome was trying to translate is really difficult by infers that it is something that we simply cannot live without.
I know what it means now because I have experienced it firsthand.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.

Something’s happening.

Stay tuned…

:wink:

SK

You will find that new converts to a religion have more witnessing engery than those who grew up in it. Ex-Jws for example make some of the most powerful witnesses for the their new religion.

Yes, but there is more going on than just the convert enthusiasm. It’s rippling through craddles as well.

SK

My opinion which counts for just about nothing (that and a $1.49) might buy you a cup of coffee…

For many years it was accepted that you would just follow the faith of our parents. Then parents stopped teaching their kids. Some kids (now adults) who were raised without instruction yearned for God (Thank you Holy Spirit) and sought him out. Then it became popular to defend the choice you made about which Church you chose and certain denominations started recruiting to get their numbers up… because we know… more bodies = more money. Greed influenced many to start criticizing other denominations and Catholics… well Catholics, not being well catechised were the last to jump on the educate and apologize bandwagon. Overall I think this is a prime example of God using evil for good… because we had to learn more about our faith to defend it.

That being said, I am totally happy with the changes I have seen in just one generation. I grew up going to church because that’s what Catholics did… I didn’t learn the why’s of our faith… and not all of the what’s either. It wasn’t until I had children and started teaching them about God that I needed to find the answers to the what’s and why’s. I have 3 living children that I transferred to Catholic schools when they were between 2nd and 7th grades. I thought I would have to catch them up on catechism to go to school there but since I had spent so much time teaching them as toddlers and young children, it turned out that i was doing a pretty good job. Through that school and their high school I have had to chaperone for many different occassions… one of which was a Children’s Christian Art festival… where there were people of all denominations participating. We ran into some groups that thought they would save these little heathen Catholic children… it was quite amusing to see the beautiful little faces shine as they defended our holy mother and their faith!

Just about a year and a half ago I went on a school trip to Washington DC for the March for Life… the thing that impressed me the most was not the kids zeal for the unborn but that at every event we went to, they were offered reconciliation and the lines at each event were LONG. That told me something right there about the changes in the Church. One of “My Girls” for the weekend asked me to wait outside the confession area for her to go… when she came out she hugged me and told me how good reconciliation makes her feel… I’m telling you… AWESOME!!!

Even in the most minute things I can see how much better our younger generation understands and knows… the fact that my ds (not his best moment) knew that if he got the boys together and went to their coach and asked about masturbation, the coach would immediately get the Chaplain and there would be no gym class that day… which is what they all wanted to get out of…

I also have another son who I swear should be an apologist or a lawyer…he went to public school because of his learning disabilities… he successfully started a Christian Club in the school that was shutting down anything that wasn’t politically correct… albeit it was a Christian skateboarding club which I thought was hysterical… then he argued with his health teacher about birth control and got a chapter on abstinence added to the class… but then he had to teach it (meant to make him suffer for besting the teacher) and he loved it!

These are the kids of our future… and it looks very promising indeed!!!

Fantastic testimony!

Yes.

I was born late 1960, cradle Catholic.

Didn’t go to Parochial school, but from what I read, it wouldn’t have mattered unless I was extraordinarily lucky.

My catechism was bad (I would use a stronger word but this is a polite forum, mostly). Cant say I had the slightest idea what the Real Presense meat until well after I left the faith age 16. Lets say I was a victim of non-rigourous, liberal theological “relevant” Catholic religious instruction that was so vague, so general, it meant almost nothing. That and I suffered through far too many hippy-dippy “folk Masses”–so trite, so much into laity strumming guitars to re-worked John Denver music–you get the idea.

I think the Holy Spirit is working through the laity in a good way now–taking up apologetics to teach and defend the Faith with confidence–to demand that we worship in confidence and beauty. And there IS a rise in vocations among pious,orthodox and straight men–beacuase we had two Pontiffs in a row that saw (is seeing) where the problem occured.

yes i agree. something is hapenning.

my priest once said, the Church has been in the desert for forty years. i did not quite understand what he meant. but now i know what he meant… we are comming out of the desert.

Glory be to God forever!

I think some Catholics are on fire like the people who frequent this website and others. However, there are plenty out there who just going through the motions.

I live next to a Catholic Church and so many are clueless when it comes to their faith and apologetics. The church has 4,000 families or some huge number like that and there was a Benadictine Brother assigned to the parish who gave a bible study on Tuesday night. Brother Christian was a convert and knew the Old Testament like no one I have ever met yet only about 7or 8 people attended this class. What a travesty!

John

OMGosh!!! Same where I grew up too… I grew up just outside Philly… nice to know it wasn’t just an East Coast thing. The J Denver songs… hillarious!!! Don’t forget the Godspell songs and ohhh… we did guitars and recorders (soprano and tenor) for All Good Gifts… but the one that I hated even as a kid… the “Thank you God” version that sounded hillbilly…

I worked with a lot of protestants in my last job and this very subject came up quite often.

I always told them that for a long time I was growing up and taught to be ashamed of my religion (from others, media, schools, other Catholics, etc). And that the Church had gone through so much evil. I also told them that that particular period of Church history is over. And the Church is still there and is getting strong again. Honestly how could we go any lower?

But that’s over now. We are stronger, those of us who are left are better taught, and it is self taught. By our own desire to learn and not forced upon us. We lead by example and that is something that with a few exceptions was lacking in many of the decades past. And we are surprisingly young. I’m 29 years old about to be 30 in a few weeks.

Satan had his chance but couldn’t capitalize on it. He’ll never get as good of a chance as he did for the past 50 years. We might even become smaller in number, but we will clearly be stronger and more tenacious. People will be drawn and drawn back to this . The only place to go is up.

RSF

I know I am.

(More energized and confident in my Catholic faith than ever!)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow!
:dancing:

YES! :bowdown:

My Parish (St Lucy’s) was in Altamont, outside of Albany NY–so maybe still an “East Coast thing”–but I’ve heard it was all across the USA–and yes, “Godspell” songs too, and I heard, believe it or not, at another nearby parish, they used the Beatles “All You Need is Love” as a hymn:blush:

Thanks for all of the replies. I know that I feel something going on. And I do not believe that it has to do with my own enthusiasm about my faith. I see converts (where I work, on EWTN, on the national news [Tony Blair], on the Supreme Court [5 outo f 9 are Catholic], etc). The apologetics movement is sweeping me along with it, as I am wanting to learn more about my faith, to live it as best I can, and to defend it when necessary. This website forum is fantastic. To think that all of this started due to someone wanting to “save” Catholics and putting fliers on Karl Keating’s car…God bless the person who tucked that piece of paper under Mr. Keating’s windshield wiper. :thumbsup: . Thanks again everyone.

God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.