Are catholics more likely to believe in salvation for non christians than protestants?

does it seem that catholics are more likely to beleive in salbvation for non christians than protestants? I hear protestants who say that all who do not beleive in christ will go to hell, where as many present day catholics say that thoes who through no fault of their own are outside of christianity can still be saved by God’s grace.

Yes…but be sure that you understand that that actually means that we are saying that we do not know how God will accomplish their conversions, NOT that we believe that they do not need to come to Christ.
Pax tecum,

Yep, both Catholics and Protestants agree that Christ is necessary for salvation.

But Protestants (or conservative Protestants) usually say that if you haven’t officially accepted Christ in this lifetime, then you’re definitively bound for hell.:thumbsup: Whereas Catholics make no such claim.

It seems to be a function of knowledge.

If you live in the darkest jungle and have never heard the gospel, have you turned away from God in the way that someone who has heard it and rejected it has?

Natural law is written on our souls, so to some extent the truth is available to every man, no matter how remote from one another.

A related issue is what happened to the noble pagans, righteous men with the misfortune to live before Christ.

The Catholic Church’s answer—which bespeaks great humility—is we do not know. God’s mercy is infinite and beyond our ken.

Not to be offensive, but 6G have ya ever picked up a bible?

Salvation and NON CHRISTian are in DIRECT opposition to each other, unless you doubt CHRIST’s words…:confused:

Acts 4:12
“Neither is there salvation in any other [than Jesus]: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

“I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.** No one **comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)

John 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name”

Ephesians 1:7a says, “**In Him (Jesus Christ) we have redemption **through his blood, the forgiveness of sins.”

Romans 10:9 tells us how: “That if you **confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart **that God raised Him from the dead,you will be saved.”

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10b)." In the hereafter, it means the promise of heaven: "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where** I** am (John 14:3)."

If ya don’t believe in HIM how’s he gonna be present to you.

What we have here is Protestants thinking that unless you accept Christ as your personal savior you are going to hell. While it is true that all salvation comes through Christ it is not to mean that you have to accept him as the Protestants think. It is God’s desire that all men be saved. If a man does not know of Christ or his teachings through no fault of his own and he has a heart that is good he is lost according to Protestants. This smacks in the face of common sense that God will punish someone eternally for his ignorance. For instance this would doom all who died before Christ came and died for our sins. That doesn’t sound right does it?

“Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God” (Gen. 6:9). Noah didn’t know of Christ, but he did have faith based on the knowledge of God he possessed at the time.

Did Noah go to hell because he did not know Christ and accept him as his “personal Lord and Savior” Read the bible again and the CC. Throw in your God given common sense and the knowledge that God loves all men and desires all to be saved.

We don’t doubt Christ’s words. We recognize them as commands and still allow Him to be God. To say that one CANNOT go to heaven because for whatever reason he never acknowledged Christ, is to become infinite mercy and infinite justice. I don’t know about you, but we leave that call with God.

All go to the Father through Christ whether they know it or not. Christ ultimately makes that decision in His infinite wisdom. Not you or any other human being can make that call because only God reads hearts and would do whatever it would take to see every person worthy of Him. Unless there is an intentional rejection of Christ and even then, all things are possible ( Luke 1:37 Just wanted you to know that I picked up my bible;) )…God Bless…teachccd:)

I would not pretend to know how God will actually deal with non-Christians, particularly those who have never heard of Jesus. I trust His goodness and mercy and have full faith that whatever He does will be right and in accord with His own will and purposes. He has not told us the answer and I will not speculate.

Sounds like you and I walk hand in hand…:slight_smile:

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.