Are Catholics required to believe that there will come a "False Prophet"

Where in scripture does the Bible teach about a false prophet, and are we to take it literally? What exactly is a wolf in "sheeps clothing", and would he be a religious leader or political, or both?

What makes you think there haven't already been dozens, hundreds, or thousands of false prophets already since the time of Christ? Arius, Nestorius, Mohammed, Martin Luther, Joseph Smith, Nietzsche, Margaret Sanger, etc., etc., etc.

[quote="JMJ_coder, post:2, topic:323932"]
What makes you think there haven't already been dozens, hundreds, or thousands of false prophets already since the time of Christ? Arius, Nestorius, Mohammed, Martin Luther, Joseph Smith, Nietzsche, Margaret Sanger, etc., etc., etc.

[/quote]

Buddah, Charles Taze Russle, Ellen G White :thumbsup:

Revelation 13 and 20 speak of him, and appears to be a 'religious' figure who has power given to him by Satan to do supernatural acts and to lead people to follow the Antichrist. And yes, there have always be been false prophets and antichrists, but near the end of the world there will be a short period of time when there will be those who Scripture speaks of who are the Antichrist and the False Prophet who will be great persecutors of the Church. Catholics are not required to follow a specific brand of doctrine on this view I just gave. but that is a traditional Catholic understanding.

[quote="JMJ_coder, post:2, topic:323932"]

[/quote]

[quote="BVMFatima, post:3, topic:323932"]
Buddah, Charles Taze Russle, Ellen G White :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Yeah, well isn't there an official Catholic position on this? You mean to tell me that the "false prophet" could mean more than one..? But the bible doesn't say "false prophets" as in plural does it..? Specifically?

...this must be one of the only parts of the Bible that the Church hierarchy doesn't even understand itself.:confused:

This is worth getting if you are interested in a Catholic view of the end times.
store.catholicproductions.com/jesus-and-the-end-times-a-catholic-view-of-the-last-days-cd/

• Pax

I'll just answer this part:

[quote="TEPO, post:1, topic:323932"]
What exactly is a wolf in "sheeps clothing", and would he be a religious leader or political, or both?

[/quote]

The reference is Matt 7:15. According to the Fathers quoted in the Catena Aurea, our Lord is speaking of hypocrites and/or heretics. A sample:

Pseudo-Chrysostom: . . . Christians are called sheep, and the sheep’s clothing is a form of Christianity and of feigned religion. . . .

[quote="TEPO, post:5, topic:323932"]
...this must be one of the only parts of the Bible that the Church hierarchy doesn't even understand itself.:confused:

[/quote]

Very few Scriptures have actually had a dogmatic interpretation. But to the question, no, it is not necessary to believe in a false prophet. First, Revelation was written to the people living at the time primarily. It is written in a symbolic style known of apocolyptic literature. There is no need to believe in a false prophet any more than there are that only 24 or 144,000 get into heaven.

Scripture says to beware of false prophets, who are wolves in sheeps clothing.

The more I read the Old Testament, the more I am convinced the Apocalypse is not what it appears to be. For example, Jeremiah speaks of water turning bitter in Jerusalem, and this is really about the fact that the Jews rejected the living waters of God. Is not Wormwood turning the waters bitter and killing a third of man in the Apocalypse about apostasy and spiritual death?

Another example, Cain is marked so that no one can kill them. So are the 144000 virgins.

[quote="TEPO, post:5, topic:323932"]
Yeah, well isn't there an official Catholic position on this? You mean to tell me that the "false prophet" could mean more than one..? But the bible doesn't say "false prophets" as in plural does it..? Specifically?

[/quote]

Scott Hahn is the one to read on this subject. I would suggest "The Lambs Supper"
Very cute baby girl by the way. :)

some great reading...markmallett.com/blog/the-coming-counterfeit/

=TEPO;10654921]Where in scripture does the Bible teach about a false prophet, and are we to take it literally? What exactly is a wolf in “sheeps clothing”, and would he be a religious leader or political, or both?

Awesome picture dad:thumbsup:

There is “no waiting”

There are thousands of them in our midst.

Anyone Teaching a faith in Competition to the Only Faith taught by Christ [Catholism!]; to some degree, is more or less fitting this term and prophesy.:o

A “wolf in sheeps clothing” is someone who claims to be “of and for God” but teaches false, inaccurate, incomplete, or misunderstood religious positions. Thus leading souls away from God; and endangering their salvation.

Because God is One

One God [perfect] can logically have and hold ONLY One set of faith beliefs on long defined issues. Amen!:highprayer::signofcross:

I think it's pretty evident now. The false prophets could be false visionaries with apocalyptic messages or claiming to see God. It could also be the false prophets of consumerism, material goods, fame and power. By giving people what they want, Satan lures people away from God. His goal was always to thwart God. But we all know who wins out in the end.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.