Are Catholics “saved” or “born again?

Are Catholics “saved” or “born again? If so when?

“Are you saved?” asks the Fundamentalist.

The Catholic should reply: "As the Bible says, I am already saved **(Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), **

but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12),

and I have the hope that I will be saved **(Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). **

Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling **(Phil. 2:12), **

with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

Assurance of Salvation?
catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

SALVATION in Scripture
scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html

Are Catholics Born Again?
catholic.com/library/Are_Catholics_Born_Again.asp

Born Again in Water Baptism in Scripture
scripturecatholic.com/baptism.html

ARTICLE 1
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
In the Catechism of the Catholic Church
usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2.htm#art1

Catechism of the Catholic Church
**1010 **
Because of Christ, Christian death has a positive meaning: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."576 "The saying is sure: if we have died with him, we will also live with him."577 What is essentially new about Christian death is this: through Baptism, the Christian has already “died with Christ” sacramentally, in order to live a new life; and if we die in Christ’s grace, physical death completes this “dying with Christ” and so completes our incorporation into him in his redeeming act:

It is better for me to die in (eis) Christ Jesus than to reign over the ends of the earth. Him it is I seek—who died for us. Him it is I desire—who rose for us. I am on the point of giving birth. . . . Let me receive pure light; when I shall have arrived there, then shall I be a man.578

John 3

3Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

4Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”

5Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is **born of water and the Spirit **he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6"That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7"Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

8"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

9Nicodemus said to Him, “How can these things be?”

22After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He was spending time with them and baptizing.

Catholics (Christians) are “born again” in baptism and “saved” from the eternal punishment due to Original Sin and all their past personal sins. In baptism, they enter a state of grace and, if they remain in that state to the end by avoiding mortal sin, they will inherit eternal life.

Yes and no. All Christians are “born again” through baptism. But baptism isn’t a free ticket to heaven. There are many baptised who don’t make it to heaven.

Christ never said being born again assures you of salvation.

[FONT=georgia]How Is A Catholic Saved?[/FONT]

That’s right–being born again (in Baptism) is the beginning, not the end. It puts us on the right path, but we still have to travel it to the end :slight_smile:

Just a minor nit, but we don’t know that there are many who don’t make it to heaven since we have no idea who does and who does not make it to heaven (Save the canonized saints). I think it is more precise to say there may be many baptized who don’t make it to heaven.

Bill

Thanks for the nit.:thumbsup: Since God wishes all to be saved and would look for even one lost sheep, even one soul in hell is one soul too many.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.