Are Catholics the legends of planet earth?

Hehe :slight_smile:
Why are we all Catholics?
There are many occasions to doubt our faith throughout our lives or be tested, so why do you continue with it? And why do you not become a Muslim? Or an agnostic person? :slight_smile:

Personally, I am a Catholic because the world is really bad with a lot of selfish people all doing things for themselves - I know how the world operates. I didn’t seem to see the point in a world full of individuals having hate in their hearts and with having ‘no meaning’, in their eyes, to their lives.

I am a really fun, loving and generous person that would only want to have children through God, because otherwise there’s no reason for passion. I just wouldn’t have added another person into this world with no hope or faith.

One thing for sure is that I couldn’t have gone on much longer before I found God. I can’t think of what other route I would have taken other than this if there was no God, I can’t imagine life without God so it’s hard to work out :slight_smile:

ANYWAY, I think that Catholics are Catholics because they are great people? And if we are good then we will find the true path?

Be good to hear why you are Catholics :thumbsup:

I’m Catholic because I truly believe the Church is who she says she is. And also, for a Christian, suffering has meaning. For everyone else, suffering is deemed as meaningless torture. Not a way to live.

Even if 99% of other Catholics throughout the world weren’t practicing their faith or were behaving in an un-Christ-like way, I would still be Catholic because again, I believe in what the Church professes.

My mind, heart, soul, and body belong to God and there isn’t anyone (besides myself) that can separate me from Him.

A life without God is no life at all.

Where else would we go? The Catholic Church has the fullness of truth. :amen:

[quote="jenlovesyu, post:2, topic:199601"]
I'm Catholic because I truly believe the Church is who she says she is. And also, for a Christian, suffering has meaning. For everyone else, suffering is deemed as meaningless torture. Not a way to live.

Even if 99% of other Catholics throughout the world weren't practicing their faith or were behaving in an un-Christ-like way, I would still be Catholic because again, I believe in what the Church professes.

My mind, heart, soul, and body belong to God and there isn't anyone (besides myself) that can separate me from Him.

A life without God is no life at all.

[/quote]

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. If we take out all of the worry of what people think of us and the pressures in daily life we start to think what we are really about, 'what is the point in actually doing anything? Is there a purpose? Or are we just meaningless?' goes through my mind.

My decision to try to do good and make other people happy was the main reason. Do you think that people don't come to the Catholic Church because they don't take time to think? Or they don't care? I am very passionate and nice, so maybe it could be due to these two characteristics why we are Catholics? And we are also less superficial? That makes 3?

Passion, love and substance are the reasons that we are Catholic, then? :)

So the Catholic Church gives meaning to your life? Or you follow it because of ‘the truth’? :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking again :o Are these the three reasons why we turn to the Catholic Church:

• when we think about love and relationships?
  • when we think about why we should be passionate?
  • and when we think about if we should have children? And why?

I’m just trying to think of the foundation of being a Catholic and what triggered us to become Catholics in the first place. I’m thinking about what I should say to my future children and why they should be Catholics :slight_smile:

We are catholic because we believe in the suffering of Christ on the cross, that He willingly gave up His own life, that He was the son of God and that He rose from the dead. We also believe in the church he founded on peter. So we try to live Christ-like lives by Loving all around us, foe and friend alike as Jesus did.

[quote="HickmanJosh, post:7, topic:199601"]
We are catholic because we believe in the suffering of Christ on the cross, that He willingly gave up His own life, that He was the son of God and that He rose from the dead. We also believe in the church he founded on peter. So we try to live Christ-like lives by Loving all around us, foe and friend alike as Jesus did.

[/quote]

Yes, but I am thinking along the lines of why would actually consider that there was more to life than living like an atheist? And why do we feel like we need God in the first place? And why do people suddenly convert to being a catholic after living as atheists?

On my journey to becoming a Catholic:
1) I wanted to do good.
2) I wondered why I should care? Is there a point in caring? Is there a point to us? Surely, if there is no point to us, like the way that most people behave, then why bother? Most peoples lives are based around themselves and they don't care for one another.
3) If we are in a world that is all about personal pleasure, then is there a point? Why form relationships? And why have children? Why be passionate? Life would be pointless and it wouldn't matter if you killed someone in this kind of mindset, would it? I mean, why care? If we don't respect each other and only care for ourselves, why care if someone dies? BASICALLY, there is no point in life and no point in being passionate without God, do we agree? Like if this was it and there was no God, then there would be no reason for me to love anyone or be passionate - I would just do whatever I wanted for my own ammusment.
4) I personally, couldn't cope with the midset of atheist people and I would have ended up in jail, so I turned to God by trying to make a Muslim woman happy, as I would see a reason and passion behind life with God in it. Do I believe in more than what we see infront of us? Seems pretty real to me with people that claim to have seen ghosts and so on.
5) Why Catholicisim over Islam? There seems to be a lot of logic and miracles that seem to point in this direction. There are also testimonies of Hell that people talk about after God brougth them back to life.

Conclusion

Without the belief in God, there is no reason to care or be passionate. What are people's foundations to be passionate if there is no God? What is love? In a dimension that exists purely on it's own and that is it, with people basing their lives on personal pleasure, there is no point in that for me to be passionate.

I have not done much with my life until recently, because I didn't have God as my foundation to be passionate or even care about anyone. So to form any kind of relationship with anyone I God in my life as the foundation of everything. Otherwise there is no point.

Is this just me being boring? Is this just my 'personality'? Why do I have to be a deep, passionate person?

Does it boil down to 'Why should I give a s*** about anything?' ;)

We are lost without God. There is no reason to give a s*** without God.
I love God hehe and thank Him for the miracles to guide us to the truth :heart:
:heart: Love you, God :heart: hehe :slight_smile:

I don’t know what to say to non-Catholics about why we are Catholic :confused: They have different mindsets :blush:

Any advice on how to talk to non-Catholics that are interested in our faith? :blush:

[quote="crazydyl, post:9, topic:199601"]
Any advice on how to talk to non-Catholics that are interested in our faith? :blush:

[/quote]

With love, since that is how Christ himself approached it...you do not have to agree, or even understand really...but just listen and answer any questions they would have. They will see the truth if they are open to listening, other than that, pray that their hearts soften...

[quote="crazydyl, post:8, topic:199601"]
Yes, but I am thinking along the lines of why would actually consider that there was more to life than living like an atheist? And why do we feel like we need God in the first place? And why do people suddenly convert to being a catholic after living as atheists?

On my journey to becoming a Catholic:
1) I wanted to do good.
2) I wondered why I should care? Is there a point in caring? Is there a point to us? Surely, if there is no point to us, like the way that most people behave, then why bother? Most peoples lives are based around themselves and they don't care for one another.
3) If we are in a world that is all about personal pleasure, then is there a point? Why form relationships? And why have children? Why be passionate? Life would be pointless and it wouldn't matter if you killed someone in this kind of mindset, would it? I mean, why care? If we don't respect each other and only care for ourselves, why care if someone dies? BASICALLY, there is no point in life and no point in being passionate without God, do we agree? Like if this was it and there was no God, then there would be no reason for me to love anyone or be passionate - I would just do whatever I wanted for my own ammusment.
4) I personally, couldn't cope with the midset of atheist people and I would have ended up in jail, so I turned to God by trying to make a Muslim woman happy, as I would see a reason and passion behind life with God in it. Do I believe in more than what we see infront of us? Seems pretty real to me with people that claim to have seen ghosts and so on.
5) Why Catholicisim over Islam? There seems to be a lot of logic and miracles that seem to point in this direction. There are also testimonies of Hell that people talk about after God brougth them back to life.

Conclusion

Without the belief in God, there is no reason to care or be passionate. What are people's foundations to be passionate if there is no God? What is love? In a dimension that exists purely on it's own and that is it, with people basing their lives on personal pleasure, there is no point in that for me to be passionate.

I have not done much with my life until recently, because I didn't have God as my foundation to be passionate or even care about anyone. So to form any kind of relationship with anyone I God in my life as the foundation of everything. Otherwise there is no point.

Is this just me being boring? Is this just my 'personality'? Why do I have to be a deep, passionate person?

Does it boil down to 'Why should I give a s*** about anything?' ;)

[/quote]

Crazydyl, I have actually chosen to become Catholic for reasons similar to why you chose to become Catholic. It sounds kind of pessimistic, but I came to the conclusion that if there is no God, if there is no way of knowing what Truth is, if this life is all about fulfilling personal gain or pleasure, then there is no point in living at all.

If God didn't exist and there wasn't a Heaven and a Hell, then it's like, what's the point in doing any good in this world if it is just going to amount to nothing in the end?
So I totally understand where you are coming from.

But most importantly for me, I truly desired to know Love. That's what ultimately led me to God. I had to believe that Real Love existed because it made me miserable to believe that this life was all about the "every man for himself" mentality. Love is what sustains my life. Or I should say, Love is Who sustains my life, for God is love.

I have my own personal reasons why I could never be Muslim. One of the big ones is that they don't consider Jesus to be God. If Jesus isn't God then there wasn't a point to His own suffering on the cross and the Christian faith is then rendered meaningless.

[quote="crazydyl, post:8, topic:199601"]
Yes, but I am thinking along the lines of why would actually consider that there was more to life than living like an atheist?

Atheism for me was empty, it was a form of rebellion and "freedom", i was more motivated to be a non-believer because of anger in my life-ect.

Maybe their just tired of being empty
[/quote]

[quote="crazydyl, post:5, topic:199601"]
So the Catholic Church gives meaning to your life? Or you follow it because of 'the truth'? :)

[/quote]

Why the quotes around the truth? I am Catholic because it is as true as the fact that I am sitting here, and all other faiths, including the faith of atheism, which I practiced for many years, are objectively false. There really is no choice, if you really study the issue and are honest about what you find. Eventually, this truth led me to a personal relationship with God, and now I have a joy that is indescribable.

Peace,
Gary:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.