Are children who die very young automatically saints?

Hi,
I know that question sounds a bit odd - my apologies! Let me explain:
At the sad funeral of a very young child several months ago, our wonderful pastor declared that children who die “before the age of reason” are saints.

So, during the intercessions portion of the Eucharistic Prayer at every Sunday Mass he’s said since then, he’s taken to including several children of the parish who have died in the past several years:
“We pray for Saint A - 3 years old; for Saint B - 1 1/2 years old; for Saint C - one hour old; for Saint D - minutes old…”

I’m sure he means no harm but God forgive me, to be honest I feel like cringing every time I hear that.
is he right regarding their sainthood? And is he permitted to include them like that?
Thanks! God bless.

The following link should answer your question. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Prior to making their First Holy Communion and a child dies, is the child considered an Angel?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.