Are Christians in Hell part of the Church?

The Church includes Christians in Heaven, Christians in Purgatory, and Christians on earth; but does she also include Christians in Hell?

Assuming there are baptized Christians in Hell, would they still be part of the Church? Catholics in mortal sins are still part of the Church so it would seem that those who die in mortal sin would still remain part of the Church.

Ummmmmmm… NO!

[quote=tuopaolo]The Church includes Christians in Heaven, Christians in Purgatory, and Christians on earth; but does she also include Christians in Hell?

Assuming there are baptized Christians in Hell, would they still be part of the Church? Catholics in mortal sins are still part of the Church so it would seem that those who die in mortal sin would still remain part of the Church.
[/quote]

First you need to define what a christian is. Then you can answer your question. :wink: God Bless

[quote=tuopaolo]The Church includes Christians in Heaven, Christians in Purgatory, and Christians on earth; but does she also include Christians in Hell?

[/quote]

A christian who is baptized, and died in full faith that Jesus Christ is their Lord and savior and lived that life out, most likely wouldn’t be in hell. I don’t believe in fact that anyone would be in hell that believed in Jesus with their whole heart and soul

In Him,
Tim

[quote=tuopaolo]… Catholics in mortal sins are still part of the Church …
[/quote]

Anyone in the state of mortal sin is dead. By repenting, confessing and being reconciled in the Church, we are given the life of grace again.

If someone is in mortal sin, and dies in that state, they go immediately to hell.

Of course, part of the definition for mortal sin here is that the person persists in it without being sorry.

If we are sorry before we have a chance to make it to confession, and die in a car wreck, then our disposition will be open to God’s mercy.

But technically, someone in “mortal sin” is not in the communion of saints, even if they still call themselves Catholic.

hurst

[quote=hurst]Anyone in the state of mortal sin is dead. By repenting, confessing and being reconciled in the Church, we are given the life of grace again.

If someone is in mortal sin, and dies in that state, they go immediately to hell.

Of course, part of the definition for mortal sin here is that the person persists in it without being sorry.

If we are sorry before we have a chance to make it to confession, and die in a car wreck, then our disposition will be open to God’s mercy.

But technically, someone in “mortal sin” is not in the communion of saints, even if they still call themselves Catholic.

hurst
[/quote]

Though committing mortal puts us out of that communion with God, it is reversible – it is not a final decision (hopefully!). But, death seals such a decision and makes it final.

[/quote]

A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ.

There are no Christians in Hell.

Blessings,
Richard

[quote=Richard_Hurtz]A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ.

There are no Christians in Hell.

Blessings,
Richard
[/quote]

Rather well said, from a certain perspective. A person in hell is a person who has rejected God, therefore, even though they may have received all the sacraments, they have rejected thier healing and spiritual nurishment and power resulting if spiritual death.

[/quote]

No one is in Hell yet. Hell is the *“Lake of Fire,” * and no will go there until after the judgment described in Rev. 20:11-15. It is called the *“second death.” *

No one GOES to Hell because he/she sinned. People will go to Hell because they refused to BELIEVE in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Hence, it is UNBELIEF that places them in Hell, not sin. Their sins will certainly effect the degree of their penalty in Hell, but it is UNBELIEF itself that puts them there.

“He who believes in Him is NOT judged; he who does not believe is judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God” (John 3:18).

God had His judgment day on sin 2000 years ago when Jesus Christ took upon Himself the sins of the world as a* substitutionary sin-sacrifice*. Those were your and my sins that were poured upon Him. He died in your and my stead. He took our judgment upon Himself so that if and when we put out faith in Him we are not judged but have eternal life. This is the basic Gospel message (read John 3:14-18).

Hell will be filled with unbelievers, even those baptized. Heaven will be filled with men and women who sinned but BELIEVED God’s message concerning His Son.

“Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name every one who BELIEVES in Him has RECEIVED forgiveness of sins” (Acts 10:43).

God bless you,
L.

[quote=linus]No one is in Hell yet. Hell is the *“Lake of Fire,” * and no will go there until after the judgment described in Rev. 20:11-15. It is called the *“second death.” *

No one GOES to Hell because he/she sinned. People will go to Hell because they refused to BELIEVE in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Hence, it is UNBELIEF that places them in Hell, not sin. Their sins will certainly effect the degree of their penalty in Hell, but it is UNBELIEF itself that puts them there.

"He who believes in Him is NOT judged; he who does not believe is judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18).

God had His judgment day on sin 2000 years ago when Jesus Christ took upon Himself the sins of the world as a* substitutionary sin-sacrifice*. Those were your and my sins that were poured upon Him. He died in your and my stead. He took our judgment upon Himself so that if and when we put out faith in Him we are not judged but have eternal life. This is the basic Gospel message (read John 3:14-18).

Hell will be filled with unbelievers, even those baptized. Heaven will be filled with men and women who sinned but BELIEVED God’s message concerning His Son.

"Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name every one who BELIEVES in Him has RECEIVED forgiveness of sins" (Acts 10:43).

God bless you,
L.
[/quote]

Correct - good explanation

Blesings,
Richard

[quote=linus]No one is in Hell yet. Hell is the *“Lake of Fire,” *and no will go there until after the judgment described in Rev. 20:11-15. It is called the *“second death.” *

[/quote]

Wrong! People who die in mortal sin go straight to Hell - after all, they have just had their judgment. The Last Judgment, to which you referred above, does not change anything, just shows forth the Glory of God, and at that time, all of us - those in Heaven and those in Hell (there will be no more Purgatory after the Last Judgment) will now have our resurrected bodies.

The Church is broken down into 3 categories:

1. The Church Triumpant (those in heaven)
  2. The Church Suffering (those in purgatory)
  3. The Church Militant (those on in this world)

Any member of the Church would have to fit into one of those three groups.

[quote=linus]No one is in Hell yet. Hell is the *“Lake of Fire,” * and no will go there until after the judgment described in Rev. 20:11-15. It is called the *“second death.” *

[/quote]

Are you saying unbelief isn’t a sin?

I think deliberate unbelief would be a mortal sin.

And if you need perfect belief to go to heaven, then no one could go (without first going through purgatory). In the Gospels there is a prayer that says, “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.”

[quote=martino]The Church is broken down into 3 categories:

1. The Church Triumpant (those in heaven)
  2. The Church Suffering (those in purgatory)
  3. The Church Militant (those on in this world)

Any member of the Church would have to fit into one of those three groups.
[/quote]

Does the Church Militant include baptized Catholics who are in mortal sin? I thought the answer was Yes; I thought that if a Catholic commits a mortal sin, he still is a member of the Church. And if the answer is Yes, then how come baptized Catholics who are in mortal sin count as members of the Church in this life, but not in the after life? This is the part I’m having trouble understanding :slight_smile:

[quote=tuopaolo]Does the Church Militant include baptized Catholics who are in mortal sin? I thought the answer was Yes; I thought that if a Catholic commits a mortal sin, he still is a member of the Church. And if the answer is Yes, then how come baptized Catholics who are in mortal sin count as members of the Church in this life, but not in the after life? This is the part I’m having trouble understanding :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Perhaps they remain in the church until the judgment.

[quote=Prometheum_x]Perhaps they remain in the church until the judgment.
[/quote]

Do you mean until the Particular Judgment (after death) or until the Last Judgment (when Christ returns)? To me the second one would make more sense.

[quote=Joan M]Wrong! People who die in mortal sin go straight to Hell - after all, they have just had their judgment. The Last Judgment, to which you referred above, does not change anything, just shows forth the Glory of God, and at that time, all of us - those in Heaven and those in Hell (there will be no more Purgatory after the Last Judgment) will now have our resurrected bodies.
[/quote]

Maybe according to your word but not God’s.

REV. 20:12-15 “And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

1. Those who stand at this judgment are referred to as “the dead.”
  2. They are judged according to their deeds.
  3. None are drawn from heaven itself, and certainly not from Hell, their eternal destination.

Now contrast what is revealed above regarding the last judgment of the “dead” with the words of Christ Himself:

JOHN 5:24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him
who sent Me, HAS eternal life, and does NOT come into judgment, but has passed
out of death into life.

From the time one truly believes in the Person and work of Jesus Christ he/she is numbered not amongst the “dead” but amongst those who have “passed out of death into LIFE.”

1PET. 3:18 "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

ALL sins are “mortal.” (1) We’re dealing with an infinitely, holy God and (2) all of us are born sinners, born already dead in Adam - made alive and “made righteous” ONLY through faith in the “Last Adam,” Jesus Christ (read Rom. 5:12-21; Eph. 2:1-10). Sins are not merely overt actions but extend even to the slightest impure thoughts. But ALL sins are forgiven by God through personal faith in the Sin-bearer who took our judgment, in our stead, upon Himself on the cross, so that through faith in Him alone, we would inherit Life Eternal.

If you think divine judgment and the threat of eternal Hell is a sin-issue, then you have not truly understood the Gospel message nor believed in the “once for all” work of the Sin-bearer on your behalf, and His own words that those who believe in Him HAVE eternal LIFE and DO NOT come into judgment but have passed out of death into LIFE.

Blessings,
L.

[quote=tuopaolo]Are you saying unbelief isn’t a sin?

I think deliberate unbelief would be a mortal sin.

And if you need perfect belief to go to heaven, then no one could go (without first going through purgatory). In the Gospels there is a prayer that says, “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.”
[/quote]

I’m saying UNBELIEF is the only sin that will cause you to stand judgment and be thrown into the Lake of Fire at the last judgment. A judgment for UNBELIEVERS only!!! Purgatory is not a Biblical concept/teaching.

Blessings,
L.

[quote=tuopaolo]Do you mean until the Particular Judgment (after death) or until the Last Judgment (when Christ returns)? To me the second one would make more sense.
[/quote]

Not sure. I would be inclined towards the Last Judgment as well

[quote=linus]I’m saying UNBELIEF is the only sin that will cause you to stand judgment and be thrown into the Lake of Fire at the last judgment. A judgment for UNBELIEVERS only!!! Purgatory is not a Biblical concept/teaching.

Blessings,
L.
[/quote]

Sure it is:

Most of us die with some attachment to sin still remaining.
We know we are perfect in heaven.
Therefore, somehow we are purified of that and made perfect between the moment of death and our entrance into heaven.

That’s what we Catholics call purgatory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.