Are Christians Losing the Apologetics War with Islam?

That’s the question asked here:

catholicworldreport.com/Item/3475/Are_We_Losing_the_Apologetics_War_with_Islam.aspx

What the author of that article doesn’t seem to understand is that if there is a war at all, it’s a spiritual one. By painting us as those big bad scary muslims who are out for your children, you’re already losing, because true spirituality is about love. You can’t have love when you have fear.

I pray all the time, I have a beard and I say ‘Allahu akbar’ from time to time, but you know what I don’t have? I don’t have fear. I don’t fear that the people who are different than I am are out to get me. If you have fear, what on earth can you accomplish?

Are we losing the war on Apologetics? I would say somewhat. The issue is exactly what that article says, Honor and strength. What makes Christianity unique is God was victorious not through bloody battles and physical strength like you see in Norse Mythology or Greek Mythology. No, God defeated evil through love, the ultimate sacrifice by giving his life for those he loves. People just don’t like the idea (especially men) that sacrifice and humility are qualities we should strive for. People rather be strong and powerful and be able to destroy their enemies. That is why Christianity is unique and it is the undeniable truth. They may cling to strength, honor, power and violence but all the darkness in the world can’t snuff out a single flame and when this world comes to an end, all that strength will help them no more.

God Bless

Of course there is a spiritual war, but the article is emphasizing the physical war - which is very real. The histroy of Islam is one of war - from the seventh century to the present moment. And often as not it is a real war between Muslims.

By painting us as those big bad scary muslims who are out for your children, you’re already losing, because true spirituality is about love. You can’t have love when you have fear.

I didn’t knotice any fear in the article. It is a practical statement of the present situation. Christians love even those who use violence against them and attempt to reduce them to second class citizens.

I pray all the time, I have a beard and I say ‘Allahu akbar’ from time to time, but you know what I don’t have? I don’t have fear. I don’t fear that the people who are different than I am are out to get me. If you have fear, what on earth can you accomplish?

That is good and I have no fear either. On the other hand I have a very high standard when it comes to recognizing who are my enemies and who are my friends.

Pax
Linus2nd

As much as 4% of the population are sociopaths, 1% psychopaths, and more with other antisocial personality disorders. Read interviews with them, they are crazy as bed bugs and reading the history of the religion shows it’s origins in the same vein of psychopathy.

Shouldn’t be surprised that these nuts are attracted to the violence, power, and anarchy of the situation in Syria and Iraq. It is truly “mecca” for them-- a license to do what comes naturally: torture, kill, and seek domination over others.

If you did an antisocial personality disorder assessment of the average jihad recruit, I bet they’d be off the charts.

On the whole, I don’t think it is an apologetics war at all. Normal people don’t respond to religious propaganda by grabbing a knife and cutting off the mailman’s head no matter what Facebook has on it.

Yes. You could also look into the political motives. The Arab people have a long memory and they look at the past when they had successful Islamic States (Ottoman Empire, Assyrian, Arab Empire) and they long of this again because it was the peak of there culture and civilization. They long to restore what they see as a great period for their religion. Ever since the fall of the Ottoman and the break up of the Middle East, it has only seen oppressive dictators while the western world flourished and began to engage in the Middle East. Granted what they are doing and what they are trying to achieve though these immoral actions do not help their cause. During the peak of these Islamic States they had strict order and law, unlike today where the Middle East is in utter anarchy. They see Islamic Law as a solution to this.

You must also take into account financial situations. Many member of ISIS are not fanatics in a religious sense but join because ISIS pays higher then the average income of the Egyptian or other countries over there so some people join to provide for their family. Of course this is all hypothetical analysis but I believe it is a mix of such things as what you speak of (antisocial behavior) and things such as income, Islamic ideologies and group think.

Randy,
So long as Islamists continue to behead people, I don’t see them winning the propaganda war. I am far more concerned about the propaganda war we are ***not ***winning against western, progressive secularists, the recent election notwithstanding.

Jon

foxnews.com/world/2014/11/06/want-to-kill-isis-deserter-recounts-training-torture-and-terror/

We seem to forget we bombed Iraq without UN approval whilst looking for invisible WMDs, thousands died, and two million became refugees, loosing everything.

These people will never get justice or compensation for their lose, and we are surprised when they retaliate.

We are all created by the same God, the same God hears all our prayers, we should learn to compete with kindness.

:clapping:

Invisible? Well, they were well-hidden, but the truth comes out:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799223/marines-guarded-saddam-s-chemical-weapons-site-reveals-one-mysterious-bunker-called-dragon-s-egg.html

Those are not the people joining ISIS, well, excepting Saddam’s displaced elite guard who were-- yes, you guessed it-- *already *torturing, murdering, psychopaths.

Amen dear friend!!

Yes.

Christianity seems to be counterintuitive.

Lose yourself so you may find yourself, love your enemies, turn the other cheek.
It is so contrary to human nature. The emphasis is humility.

I remember someone calling Christianity the religion of slaves and women. Go around the world today and it is often the oppressed and the marginalized that are drawn to it.

There is also Jesus admonishment that anyone who wants to be considered greatest must make themselves the least.

Counterintuitive indeed.

It is Counterintuitive, or must appear so for those who believe they must die for God, that in Christianity, God died for us.

Jon

Are we losing the apologetics war? I would say it depends on where you live. If you live in a Muslim country then yes we may be losing. But if you live in the US I’d say no. I think people get lost by trying to explain the faith trying to convince someone to join it. But it should be known we need to proclaim the faith. If their heart is open then you may gain a brother. But if not then it is enough that they know and then your best witness is to live your life practicing what you preach.

There is only One Faith on this Earth to Date that has only used Love to Conquer which begins the fulfillment of this passage.

Isaiah 2:2And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

3And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

4And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

God bless all that Search - Regards Tony

[quote=tonyfish58]There is only One Faith on this Earth to Date that has only used Love to Conquer
[/quote]

Really? So you’re just going to igore the massacres in the Old Testament, ignore the Crusades, ignore the Inquisition? Those acts were not demonstrations of love.

Crusades where defensive reaction to Islamic invasion. You take away religion it would be no different then one nation defending itself, it also stsrted as defensive pilgramages the crusades where not about conquest but defense and reclaiming lost lands. There were more deaths and burnings caused by secular governments during the inquisition because witch craft was feared by the people those secular governments did it to keep favor. People who where jailed during that time actually asked to be moved to catholic facilities because treatment was more human. Love is willing the best for someone, love is NOT warm fuzzy feeling, affection and turning a blind eye to injustice. For example I will the best for ISIS member but I still hope that their organization is destroyed but I will that those people turn from their evil ways. Try and read some history that wasn’t influenced after the anti catholic protastant reformation.

I don’t think Tony was referring to Christianity :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.