Are Christians obligated to tithe 10% of our gross income or net income?

I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to be tithing. Is it 10% of my gross income or 10% of my net income? Thanks for your help!

The obligation to tithe (give 10% of one’s gross income) was only ever binding on the Jews. Jesus fulfilled this Old Law (cf. Mt 5:17) so even Jews are no longer bound by it. But this doesn’t mean we’re not obligated to support our Churches – we are – there is just no longer a specific percentage required.

Scripture provides insight on how Christians should give: “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income” (1 Cor 16:2).

Also, “Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Cor 9:6-7).

So, there is no mandatory requirement to give a specific amount of money or percentage of our income. We should each decide for ourselves how much to give and then do so in the true spirit of giving a gift.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.