Are Christians Permitted to attend a Muslim Wedding Feast?

Just curious...

Muslims may take multiple wives although I hear this is somewhat less common. If that would be the case, going to a wedding might mean you support and condone their lifestyle which although fine in their eyes, not so fine good for a Christian as the church teaches this could do damage to your own soul by promoting polygamy. So it possibly puts you in a position of having to ask sensitive questions, while being very respectful.

i am not qualified to give you any advice on how to approach the matter. just a thought I had.

If no one knows here, I would ask a good priest that knows about these things or an apologist like Patrick Madrid or Fr. Pockwa on EWTN radio or SPQN radio or Catholic answers radio.

Say the Muslim man intends to take just one wife; since marriage is in conformity with the natural law it does not seem like there would be a problem for a Christian to attend under these circumstances.

Agree/Disagree?

This should address your concerns:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=167154

As described, Catholics may attend valid marriages between non-Catholics, including non-Christians. So yes, as far as I know it's perfectly fine for Catholics to attend valid muslim wedding feasts.

Muslim men marry women and tend to have children. I'd say go for it.

[quote="Augustine3, post:3, topic:313985"]
Say the Muslim man intends to take just one wife; since marriage is in conformity with the natural law it does not seem like there would be a problem for a Christian to attend under these circumstances.

Agree/Disagree?

[/quote]

Agree. Like you would do when you get an invite (to a wedding).

Edit: I am not too sure though if the invitation is for second or third or fourth wives. Perhaps for those you should decline discreetly. For me, I wouldn't go.

I've attended several Muslim wedding feasts. (The ceremony usually occurs in private and only the reception is open to guests.)

I've also attended Hindu weddings and Jewish weddings and civil wedding ceremonies for non-believers.

How is this wrong?

No, it is not wrong.:slight_smile:

Catholicism accepts that marriage occurs when a couple voluntarily come together in marriage though it may not be a sacramental marriage. However there are marriages that are out of the norm which are against the Church’s teaching and belief, for examples, same sex marriage and polygamy. The question is, would it be by attending such marriages it implies their approval and recognition? Or are Catholics comfortable in a ceremony that is an affront to their belief? I think the Church discourages us from paticipating in them but even if she does, on the personal level, I would not go anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.