Are drinking games Morally Justifiable?

This is something that I have wrestled with for a while. I know a lot of catholic people who will readily do shots or play drinking games. These same people would agree with the concepts of moderation and temperance, as do I, yet it would seem that we come up with completely different conclusions when it comes to the topic of drinking games. So, are drinking games Morally Justifiable? I’m particularly interested in discussion of what drinking games are ordered toward, what they accomplish, if they encourage and create the occasion of sin, and if moderation is possible within them. Also, with their popularity in secular culture, and how they are perceived, if the practice lends itself to scandal, no matter how carefully it is practiced. Thank you so much in advance for weighing in, I really struggle with this.

1 Like

Hmm. You seem to be asking all the right questions…

It would appear you’re well on your way to reasoning things out for yourself in a mature way – albeit with the Lord’s guidance. You may not need other people “weighing in” and offering (what can only be) “opinion” on this matter.

My recommendation is just to continue with your reflections – and allow the Lord to lead you to the answer…

2 Likes

No, they are not morally justifiable…but you know that.

3 Likes

If alcohol is a struggle for you, don’t use it. Take a month off from alcohol. Then two or three months. After a while, you won’t miss it at all. Find new social and physical activities to replace the time wasted drinking.

3 Likes

I don’t know about drinking games, but a religious guy I once heard of had a pretty cool party trick #waterintowine.

6 Likes

You know the answer. They cause you to drink to excess.

You don’t have to partake. You can watch them make asses of themselves while you drink in moderation.

The good news is that drinking games die out when people become adults with responsibilities. People don’t play them with their toddlers running around. Their shelf life ends in college.

If drinking in moderation is difficult for you, get help before you develop a really big problem. You will be glad you did.

1 Like

Were you drunk when typing this question out to us ?

Or were you hung-over the next day … after vomiting ?
Or after the cops pulled you over, at night, and make you walk the line ?
or is this question, typed by you, after you came home from church ?

Drinking - is no game.

"So, are drinking games Morally Justifiable?
I’m particularly interested in discussion of what
drinking games are ordered toward,
what they accomplish, if they encourage
and create the occasion of sin, "

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.