Are eastern sacraments recognized by the Roman Catholic church?

The title says it all, but I was curious if the roman rite acknowledges sacraments like confession, eucharist, etc. as valid? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you are speaking of the Eastern Catholic Churches, they are in full communion with Rome; any Catholic can receive the Sacraments in a Catholic Church.

For the Orthodox Churches, since the episcopacy has Apostolic Succession, the sacraments are valid but there is not yet full Eucharistic communion between them and the Catholic Churches, Eastern or Western.

Adding to Fr. Deacon Randy’s post, supra, the Catholic Church (Roman and Eastern) recognizes all the sacraments of the apostolic Churches of the East and of the PNCC.

The apostolic Churches of the East includes:

(1) all of the Eastern Orthodox Churches;
(2) all of the Oriental Orthodox Churches; and
(3) the Assyrian Churches.

However, although the Catholic Church sees no impediment for their faithful to partake of the sacraments in the Catholic Church, the said apostolic Eastern Churches and the PNCC officially do not reciprocate.

Unofficially, there is intercommunion (sharing of the Eucharist) in many areas between separated Churches, such as between the Melkite Catholic Church and the Antiochian Orthodox Church and between the Chaldean Catholic Church and the Assyrian Church of the East.

The Assyrian Church of the East and the Catholic Church intercommune, even on an official leve, right?

I mean I, as a Catholic, would be entitled to receive the Eucharist at an Assyrian liturgy, if I weren’t in a state of mortal sin, yes?

Are you asking about the Eastern Catholic Churches or the Eastern Orthodox?

Eastern Orthodox, ie Greek orthodox, Serbian Orthodox, etc. I live in a community with many churches roman catholic and eastern orthodox. Taking example from Pope John Paul II who attempted to help heal the gap in faith still took the time to (I can’t find a word to describe it) mingle? with those of the eastern orthodox faith. Are any sacraments in communion with the Roman Catholic church? Which ones?
Is confession in their church in communion with our church?

Of course I think there is value in the different expressions of faith and I embrace them as my brothers, or maybe as distant cousins. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks so much for the insight. God Bless!!

Canon Law for the Catholics recognizes the licitness and validity of the sacraments of the Orthodox Churches (Eastern and Oriental) and the Assyrian Church of the East, as well as the validity of the PNCC.

It is usually handled on a case by case basis. One pastor might allow you to receive, while another would be shocked you asked.

If you go to an Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian Church, or Polish National Catholic Church and are permitted to receive by the local hierarch and/or priests, yes, it’s valid, and yes, it carries grace and counts. But you can not count on being allowed those sacraments happening.

In the case of the Assyrians, they are in intercommunion with the Chaldeans, IIRC. They are not in intercommunion with Rome, just with the Chaldeans. So if you are a Chaldean Catholic, yes, you can reasonably expect the sacraments in an Assyrian Church. If not, no, you should not expect, but may ask.

But if you ask, be polite, and accept the answer without argument.

Their Sacraments or Holy Mysteries are recognized as valid. The communion rail at Catholic churches is open to our Orthodox brothers and sisters. However a Catholic needs to get permission to receive in a Church which is not in full communion with the Holy See, unless it’s in an emergency such as near death or when there are no Catholic churches available.

Who would I need to get permission from? The bishop? what’s the purpose of getting permission anyway? I don’t really see the point of asking.

The pastor of the parish. Who might refer you to the Bishop, or might not.

In Rural Alaska, you’re more likely to get a “Yes, but don’t tell the bishop” kind of response.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.