Are Evangelicals Christians

Hi I understand that protestants are considered Christians by Catholics because they preserved marriage and baptism. My question is about Evangelical Churches. Many Evangelicals do not practice infant baptism but believers baptism where you’re baptized after you accept Jesus as your savior.

Does this mean Evangelicals aren’t Christians?

Many at the bible study fellowship at Newport covedent in Bellevue Washington say no baptism is nessesary because the man on the cross was told he would be in paridise that with Jesus and he wasnt baptized.......

[quote="mitex, post:1, topic:310383"]
Hi I understand that protestants are considered Christians by Catholics because they preserved marriage and baptism. My question is about Evangelical Churches. Many Evangelicals do not practice infant baptism but believers baptism where you're baptized after you accept Jesus as your savior.

Does this mean Evangelicals aren't Christians?

[/quote]

They are Christian as long as they believe, and are baptized in the Trinitarian formula using water. Some sects do not even baptize any more, citing the fragmentary theology of Romans 3:28! Since Christ is the one who determines what being Christian is (Matthew 28:19, Mark 16:16), those who are not baptized do not appear to be Christian. They are not keeping Christ's commands. Even Saint Paul says that he does not save you - only Christ does.

You seem to be referring only to sacraments specifically, but no; Evangelists are absolutely Christians. Protestants are Christians. They believe in the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit. (When I was a kid, it was Ghost, but it was decided that that gives a bad connotation...)

As an aside, I'll never forget the day I told a Mennonite that of course, Catholics are Chirstians :eek: after she assured me they are not. "Kinda the first ones, in fact," I said. She was none too happy with my comment. But then, she might only be going on what she was taught.

Definition of EVANGELICAL from Merriam Webster (only cuz I am distantly related)

1 of, relating to, or being in agreement with the Christian gospel especially as it is presented in the four Gospels
2 protestant
3 emphasizing salvation by faith in the atoning death of Jesus Christ through personal conversion, the authority of Scripture, and the importance of preaching as contrasted with ritual

Hi I understand that protestants are considered Christians by Catholics because they preserved marriage and baptism. My question is about Evangelical Churches. Many Evangelicals do not practice infant baptism but believers baptism where you're baptized after you accept Jesus as your savior.

[/quote]

if they think they are they could be.

if baptized probably yes.

Merry Christmas
God bless

As long as they believe in the Most Holy Trinity and are baptized in the same, then yes.

All believers who are baptized with water in the trinitarian formula* are actually in a form of communion with the Catholic Church, albeit an imperfect communion.

*One eternal God in three Divine Persons

But what about those churches that don't emphasize baptism? I think that was the OP's point. I personally have a good friend of mine (ironically he was baptized as a Lutheran as an infant and in his evangelical church which I think is E-Free or at least based on that denomination) who says that a Christian doesn't need to be baptized but only needs to believe (never mind that John baptized Jesus, so much for sola scripture:D).

[quote="benjammin, post:8, topic:310383"]
But what about those churches that don't emphasize baptism? I think that was the OP's point. I personally have a good friend of mine (ironically he was baptized as a Lutheran as an infant and in his evangelical church which I think is E-Free or at least based on that denomination) who says that a Christian doesn't need to be baptized but only needs to believe (never mind that John baptized Jesus, so much for sola scripture:D).

[/quote]

Those are the Pauline soloists. Romans 3:28 and nothing else matters. Never mind what Jesus (our, um, Savior) said, we don't need no stinkin' baptism, only faith!

Maybe OP can clarify, as I thought the same thing you did, but could not tell for sure.

When asked about the greatest day in his life, Pope John Paul II said that it wasn't his election as Pope, or his elevation to Cardinal, or Bishop, or even his ordination as a Priest. In fact, he could not even remember the greatest day of his life: the day he was baptized. And, until the late 1800s, that was the universal rite of passage for Christians.

[/quote]

Do you know any Evangelical Protestants?

What are their lives like? Do they live a life of obedience to Jesus? Do they honor Him as Lord? Do they love Him and try to serve Him?

Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled." I grew up Evangelical Protestant, and I can say that most Evangelical Protestants that I knew and know hunger and thirst for righteousness and are totally committed to Jesus Christ.

Will Jesus keep His promises?

Jesus also said, "Seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened to you, ask and it shall be given." Most Evangelical Protestants that I knew and know are constantly seeking, knocking, and asking the Lord to change them, to make them more like Jesus.

Will Jesus keep His promises?

Finally, if their church leaders teach that baptism isn't necessary, and they obey their leaders, then will God hold them accountable for not being baptized, or will He honor their obedience?

Most Evangelicals DO believe in Baptism as a demonstration of obedience to Jesus Christ. They may not understand the reason behind it, but they do it anyway. THAT'S true faith and obedience--when we follow Christ even though we're not sure what He is asking of us.

God will bring them home.

I haven’t heard of a Protestant church that said Baptism isn’t an important rite for Christians and shouldn’t be emphasized. Is it possible your friend (general “friend”) meant it as, “If you believe in your heart that you are a sinner and that Christ (God with us and God made flesh) died for your sins on the Cross, and you seek repentance, but for an unfortunate reason, you did not have a chance to get Baptized, this is not automatic sentencing to hell?” (e.g., thief on the cross)

[quote="EIF5A, post:11, topic:310383"]
I haven't heard of a Protestant church that said Baptism isn't an important rite for Christians and shouldn't be emphasized. Is it possible your friend (general "friend") meant it as, "If you believe in your heart that you are a sinner and that Christ (God with us and God made flesh) died for your sins on the Cross, and you seek repentance, but for an unfortunate reason, you did not have a chance to get Baptized, this is not automatic sentencing to hell?" (e.g., thief on the cross)

[/quote]

I've yet to meet a Protestant who follows that hasn't been Bapatized. It is as important to them as it is for Catholics. The ritual itself is as important, as well. There is a different appreciation for doing it as an adult, however; with full appreciation for its meaning. There is a different appreciation that Jesus will not fail those who may not have had the opportunity to do, since so many become baptized as adults.

[/quote]

I would say they are, IMO.

[/quote]

As Lutherans, we believe "Decision Theology" is heterodox, and believing heterodox doctrines has inherent dangers. But that doesn't mean they are not Christians. We would say for the most part they are, and we leave it to God's grace.

Jon

[quote="JonNC, post:14, topic:310383"]
As Lutherans, we believe "Decision Theology" is heterodox, and believing heterodox doctrines has inherent dangers. But that doesn't mean they are not Christians. We would say for the most part they are, and we leave it to God's grace.

Jon

[/quote]

Thank you, and I'd refine that answer: They are. Period. Who do they worship?

[quote="cheezey, post:15, topic:310383"]
Thank you, and I'd refine that answer: They are. Period. Who do they worship?

[/quote]

What I meant by the "for the most part" is that we know that within His church there are those who are goats, rather than sheep. This is true in any communion.

Jon

As an former evangelical as of only a few weeks ago, I assure you that they are Christians.

But within the evangelical community there are many who are Sunday Christians.

I believe this is perpetuated by the emotionally addictive atmosphere (immersing social network/smoke, lights, professional style music) in addition a 45 minute sermon that many use as their sole means of Bible study.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church accepts Trinitarian Baptisms.
We need to be careful with asking who is and who is not a Chrisitan. That was a practice I was into as a fundamentalist (who have no problems making that judgment), I abandoned that when I reverted and despair at my previous arrogance.
Who is and who is not a Christian is above our pay grade.

[quote="JustaServant, post:18, topic:310383"]
The Catholic Church accepts Trinitarian Baptisms.
We need to be careful with asking who is and who is not a Chrisitan. That was a practice I was into as a fundamentalist (who have no problems making that judgment), I abandoned that when I reverted and despair at my previous arrogance.
Who is and who is not a Christian is above our pay grade.

[/quote]

I'm going to start the new year by agreeing with JustaServant.

[quote="katholikos12, post:17, topic:310383"]
As an former evangelical as of only a few weeks ago, I assure you that they are Christians.

But within the evangelical community there are many who are Sunday Christians.

I believe this is perpetuated by the emotionally addictive atmosphere (immersing social network/smoke, lights, professional style music) in addition a 45 minute sermon that many use as their sole means of Bible study.

[/quote]

My newly converted brother - from atheist to Catholic!! :thumbsup: may be a Sunday Christian. He used the Lord's name in vain when he discovered his mashed potatoes to be lumpy. He swore again at the pickle jar lid. He called someone a fool. In some ways, it's as if he converted into a cultural (cradle) Christian; as if just going through the motions. And I am not just referring to his kitchen habits. Upon being told that his sister was penniless, jobless, and soon homeless, his response was "well, good luck with that." I am in no way lumping him in with any one category, but again, as a recent and **purposefully **converted religious person, no matter the faith, by the way, I think most would say... What???!!! :confused: :eek: :tsktsk: :banghead: :dts:What kind of Christian attitude is THAT? If he were still an atheist, I'd be equally perturbed at that answer.
In short, I think there are Sunday Christians in every Christian denomination. ALL are wrong to leave it at that...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.