Are gays allowed to attend the mass?

English is not my first language, so I apologize for any misspellings.

My question is clear, Are gays allowed to attend the mass on Sundays?

Please O please,let’s not go into big argument, let’s just focus on the question and it’s answer.

God bless.

Of course. In fact, if they are Catholic, they are obligated to attend.

Thank you for the answer.

Are they allowed to eat from the host or not?

P.S I talk about the gays who are accept themselves as gays and catholic, like gays who don’t wanna change who they are and at the same time they want to be catholic.

Any Catholic who is in a state of grace (that is, has confessed and been absolved of any known mortal sin) may partake of Holy Communion. Anyone who is currently living in a state of mortal sin (whatever that sin may be), especially with no intention of stopping said sin, should NOT participate in Holy Communion.
That being said, just BEING homosexual is not a sin. Someone may accept that they are homosexual but not act upon it. There is no sin there.

As all Christians are called to a life of Chasity so are those who are homosexual.

The sin is not in being homosexual but in participating in homosexuality.

Anyone who is aware of grave (mortal) sin must not commit sacrilege by receiving our Lord.

That is not just the gays, also the straight people who sleep with others with no marriage…etc. So from your answer, they are allowed to attend the mass but they are not allowed to eat from the host. please correct me if I’m wrong.

Your first part is correct. Anyone in mortal sin may not present himself for Holy Communion. A Catholic who is in mortal sin is still obligated to attend Holy Mass, but may NOT partake of Holy Communion.
I just want to be sure you understand what I was saying. Just being homosexual is not sinful. As long as the person does not act upon those feelings (and has not committed any unconfessed mortal sin), he can indeed partake of Holy Communion.

I fully understand your answer. Thank you so much and I think accepting gays or also other people with all kinds of sins to attend the mass is a big and nice step, some other churches don’t even allow gays to go inside and some of them allow them but not without keep making them feel horrible.

Do you? See below:

Thank you so much and I think accepting gays or also other people with all kinds of sins to attend the mass is a big and nice step,

Gays are not necessarily sinning. Being gay is not a sin. Telling people you are gay is not a sin. Acknowledging that you are gay is not a sin. Engaging romantic or sexual with some of the same sex is a sin.

If all sinners where barred from Mass, there would be no one there.
This is what the Catholic Catechism states the emphasis is mine

Chastity and homosexuality
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial.** They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity**. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Yep, I do understand, being gay is not a sin but having gay sex is a sin. Hope you didn’t forget that English is not my first language, so I might made a mistake on how I wrote my reply.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you so very much for the answer and the quote :)))

No problem. I am glad that your question was answered satisfactorily!

You’re welcome.
It may just be the language difference, but I get the idea from your posts that you do think that being gay is a sin. It is not. Talking about “allowing gays” to attend Mass puts homosexuals on a different level than heterosexuals. They are not. All people, heterosexual or homosexual, are sinners NOT because of our sexual orientation, but because of our behavior. All of us, if Catholic, are still obligated to attend Mass, confess our sins, and live our lives in accordance with Church teachings.

Edit: I just saw your other response that you posted while I was typing this. I am glad to hear that you do understand the difference. And, yes, I do believe it is the language issue.

“Gay sex” is a subcategory of sodomy called sodomia perfecta, a man and a woman can also commit the sin of sodomy which is known as sodomia imperfecta. Both are sodomy and both are sinful.

Yes. No one will ask about your sexual orientation.

God bless,
Ed

Are sinners allowed to attend mass?

Of course they are!

Even non-Catholics can attend Catholic mass.

Why would they not be allowed?

Are there actually certain people who are “not allowed” to attend a Catholic mass?

Everyone can attend mass, so long as they don’t cause a disturbance. Though only Catholics can take communion.

Yes, this is what I thought. That is why her question confused me!
Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.