Are godparents required by canon law?

I’m the single mom w/ 2 toddlers (ages 2 and 3). I would like for them to be baptised, but I do not have anyone who could stand up to be their Godparents. Most of my family members are Baptist (although we all grew up Catholic). Can my 2 toddlers be baptised with just me present or do they absolutely have to have Godparents. I’ve been putting this off for some time now because I don’t know what to do.

While Church law strongly encourages parents to choose baptismal sponsors for their children, they are not required by canon law.

Canon 872: “Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it."

I encourage you to make an appointment to speak with your parish priest about this matter. He will be happy to help you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.