Are Halloween Attractions like haunted houses okay?

Is it okay for a person, trying to live out their Catholic faith to go to haunted house attractions or other Halloween attractions for fun?

Like with many things in life, context is everything. What is the purpose of the haunted house, who is running it, what kinds of things does it contain, etc.?

The root of enjoying scary things is using our imagination to safely confront our fears. In and of itself there is nothing wrong with that. Where things can go awry is if the “haunted house” is a celebration or admiration of violence or evil. From my memories as a child I don’t remember any of the local haunted houses in my hometown containing anything like that, they were essentially just elaborate camp fire stories played out in a scary way that was fun. But in today’s world we need to be a little more discerning.

So while there is no official Church rule on this, I would simply encourage people to ask common sense questions to themselves about the purpose and nature of the attraction they are visiting and decide accordingly…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.