Are humans weak "physical" composition a result of sin?

Any inputs are welcome and greatly appreciated.

I guess it kind of depends on what you mean by “weak”. While even in the healthiest bodies there are limitations and vulnerabilities, the human body in health and wellness is an amazing creation. I have clients who are engineers who marvel at the amazing capabilities and mechanical functions.-- as I watch the Olympics my mind is blown away by what the body is capable of.
In my own situation my body is not what it could be in fact because of sin.(gluttony, laziness, and funny enough- even pride.)—In the bigger picture, before the fall of our first parents; no sickness and death didn’t exist.

According to a literal interpretation of scripture, and a physical interpretation of the fall and the consequent “death”.

Are bodies are the way they are because that’s how they evolved.

YES. Before the fall we were not and at our redemption we will not. YES.

I used to wonder, given what little information we have about Adam and Eve’s physical bodies, and with all the longevity in the Old Testament, if man kind was originally intended to be immortal like the angels. Essentially, they were created to be in what we would now call their “glorified” body.

Make sense?

I know that longevity figures back then are debatable, and this is just my thoery. :slight_smile:

I think so. I think that our physical weaknesses and limitations are not a part of God’s original creation but are the results of the fall of mankind.

Why did God give men physical bodies at all? According to the bible when people die they can still feel joy and pain and remorse. They are still aware. They can still learn and remember. So what was God’s reason for creating us with physical bodies? If we can exist perfectly well without a physical body, why did God create them?

:shrug:

God created them for the sake of love–to allow us to enjoy certain things. Food, for example. Not only did God not have to create us to need food, even if he did, it could’ve all tasted like grass. You know? Just a thought.

But won’t there be plenty of things to enjoy in heaven? It doesn’t seem like God would need to give us physical bodies in order to give us things to enjoy. It just seems to me that since God did give us physical bodies, then He must have had a specific reason. There must be something that we couldn’t get without them. But what is it?

To make us human.

In what way are we not human in heaven? (Or hell for that matter)

:confused:

I think that God gave human beings physical bodies because having bodies made it possible for them to rear up a family, to populate the earth with their own kind, and to be stewards of God’s creation.

The Bible says in Genesis 1:28: “And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and all living creatures that move upon the earth.”

And the Bible also says in Genesis 2:15: “And the Lord God took man, and put him into the paradise for pleasure, to dress it, and keep it.”

I think without our bodies, we are not fully human, are we?. God is a Spirit, infinitely perfect spirit. Angels are pure spirits. Humans are embodied spirits. :shrug:

Correct. It is indeed our physicality that makes us human.

Human weakness is a result of Original Sin. Humans being physical creatures is not. It is a good thing! We just happen to have lost a lot of things we were supposed to have (work being hobbylike…etc). Us being physical is the way we are meant to be and that’s why hurting someone in the physical world has such huge implications in the spiritual one. The idea that all matter is evil and spirit is good is a Gnostic concept and I believe it is heretical.

In fact Jesus makes “all things new” and I believe it is defined Catholic doctrine that even after we die, we will not be separated from a physical reality forever.

he gave us physical bodies so we could think and functiona and be consciouss! we are not spirits we are a combination of spirit and matter. therefore we rely on our bodies to gather information, think, and basically do anything at all. without our bodies we would basically be unconsciouss essence.

The bodies we breathe in now are not eternal, because our life is fuelled by entropy-driven chemistry.

Yet we were meant to be eternal.

For that, we need what S. Paul called the spiritual body, pneumatikon soma.

The natural body cannot give us eternity; it’s task is to walk the person to the everlasting life.

ICXC NIKA

I think our degenerative nature is due to the fall of man which led to a condition that simply kept getting worse and worse as time progressed e.g death, diseases, a rather volatile earth etc. No doubt, in the beginning we were perfectly conformed to God’s will, in need of absolutely nothing, perhaps equipped with transfigured, glorified bodies, the kind we all hope to receive when we enter into the heavenly Jerusalem. Something then happened (sin) that separated the first humans from Gods infinite will and boundless grace, leaving all of creation which consist of mankind to fend for themselves. Paul actually confirms this idea:

Romans 8:

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 thath] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. 22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.