Are LGBT people welcome in the Catholic faith?

HI,
I have been researching many beliefs since being protestant, then pagan, then atheist. The reason I left my original faith is because I am a lgbt person. I just wish to know if I am welcome in this belief system. :shrug:

The Church welcomes people with same sex attraction with open and loving arms, and condemns all unjust discrimination. The Church condemns same sex acts as they are disordered (the sexual act is ordered towards reproduction, and all acts must a)be within marriage, b) between one man and one woman c) open to life. This is not possible for same sex acts, thus they are disordered). The Church recognizes that same sex attraction is a major cross for a person to carry throughout one’s life and is willing to provide such people with loving support to help them live a chaste life, as all Catholics are required to do according to their state in life.

The LGBT lifestyle, however, is not conducive to this chaste way of living, and as such, the Church strongly discourages those wih same sex attraction from being involved with it.

First of all, welcome to CAF :wave:

The Catholic faith does not discriminate against anyone for any reason. Having said that, sexual relations are reserved for those in a traditional marriage of one man and one woman. All others remain celibate no matter what their sexual orientation might be. This means heterosexual men and women, as well.

If you wish to go deeper into the hows and whys the Catechism of the Catholic Church is the best place to look: Marriage. LGBT persons.

The LGBT lifestyle, however, is not conducive to this chaste way of living

I don’t think it’s advantageous to talk of a “LGBT lifestyle”. It pigeon-holes. What’s the straight lifestyle? There are many. Some are celibate. Some are married and monogamous. Some fornicate, or commit adultery.

In any case, to the original poster -

I have been researching many beliefs since being protestant, then pagan, then atheist.

It seems reasonable that we should try to believe that which is true. Whether a religion agrees with everything you do in your lifestyle shouldn’t be important as to whether it is true or not. God doesn’t cease to exist if we want him to. I’ll say right now that I’m not good at following everything this faith teaches, but I respect its authority, and I recognize that that authority is founded on truth: that there is a God (which to me seems obvious), that He did reveal himself in history, most notably in the person of Jesus Christ, whose message very much agrees with my vision of God, and the vision of what the Son of God the Father would be.

There are certainly Catholics that are more hostile to people who identify as gay, but most are accepting of them as people, and being understanding of their condition, while not condoning any disordered acts (which is the official Catholic teaching). Some Catholics go beyond that, and are accepting of the acts as well (which strays from Catholic teaching). We’re certainly not as accepting as some Christian faiths, but again, if they’re the proper Church to be part of, that should be more important.

Good luck in your journey. I wish you all the best.

Some realism is needed here.

As individuals, Catholics are probably as divided on LGBT issues as the rest of the population.

In our churches, we don’t hear the other teachings of our faith, as we ought. Needless to say, I’ve never heard and most Catholics probably have never heard any preaching or certainly nothing like the “support” that this previous comment refers to.

The “support” that the Church offers to LGBT individuals is the same support that it offers to all, and that is the Gospel in the Catholic Tradition.

I don’t think the church’s position on homosexuality, etc. is very well defined as it needs to be.

It’s not going to help an individual struggle with the issues of loneliness in life, and the desire for carnal happiness that we nearly all possess. The Church preaches the gospel as it is found in scripture, for the first point. This is a Gospel of self-sacrifice, in which we ALL are called to holiness and to “mortify” our earthly passions and desires. We are referred to as a kingdom of priests – priests in the sense that we sacrifice ourselves to God, in imitation of Christ.

The participants on this website love threads about homosexuality, but you’re asking exactly the correct question. It’s unpredictable if people will just pile on, judgmentally, about the evil of the homosexual lifestyle.

The life well-lived is one oriented to Jesus Christ, the holiness that this involves, and the happiness even in this life that such a life brings. This is not in accordance with the changing opinions and standards of society. The Church encourages ALL to live for others, even “cheerfully” as the Bible says.

Many churches virtually advertise that they are “full gospel” churches. The Catholic Church at its best has always been a full gospel church. You need look no further. But, you will find many in the Church who may not live up to the standards that they ought.
We are a church of sinners, and the Church is nevertheless a Church of reconciliation.

In what we call the Catechism of the Catholic Church, a book that contains the “deposit of faith” – what we believe – it says the following:

1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

Even if a person commits an act that objectively is “grave matter” – one that objectively leads to spiritual death and separation from God – people do not always act with complete freedom, as 1735 says, and so are not automatically condemned. This paragraph speaks of the mercy of God, first of all.

So, we have not all “come to our senses” and managed to orgainize our lives as we should according to Gospel principles. But, we are called TO DO SO. So, the Catholic Church is the Church of reconciliation, and called all people to holiness and reconciliation with God.

Last I heard, the Unitarian/Universalist Church (whose members can believe anything they want, like witchcraft, etc.) WELCOME LGBT people. But, would you feel safe there, intellectually and morally? You may feel welcome there, even comfortable, but would you be living a true gospel life?

let me clear the air. Me being lgbt was not the only reason, it did make me start asking questions. It was not the only reason.

There is no marriage if it’s not between one man and one woman. It isn’t a traditional marriage. There is no such thing as a traditional marriage. Contrary to nature unions are not “non-traditional marriages” because they are not marriages.

What other questions did you have?

We are not “homophobic” - homosexuals are not second-rate members of the Church, and can function normally in the life of Christ and the Church.

That said, no one, homosexual or otherwise, is allowed to fornicate, nor to commit adultery, nor to commit sodomy or other homosexual actions. There is nothing wrong with “feelings” - you can’t control those. But acting on them, or willing them to remain with you, that, that cannot continue.

As a man with my own sexual problems, I know how enjoyable it can be. But to love God, we must put His desires for us before our desires.

Welcome to CAF. Please know that you are most welcome here and potentially as a Catholic regardless of your sexual orientation. That answers your question. I hope you will leave it at that for now. As you grow in understanding of our faith, then worry about what the Church teaches about how we should or should not live our life. Because to understand how we should live, we really must start with Christ and learning to love Him. Without that, you will be lost. I hope you will consider picking up a copy of Something Other Than God by Jennifer Fulwiler. God Bless.

JMR

You are most welcome here, anytime! We will be happy to answer all of your questions, whatever the topic. :hug3:

Welcome! To answer your original question, yes, LGBT people are welcome in the Catholic faith. I know many Catholic LGBT people that I am privileged to call my friends. :thumbsup:

Welcome – of course! If by welcome you mean endorsement of LGB behavior, then you will not get an endorsement of that from the Church. But we are welcoming here and I would expect all good Catholics to embrace you with love as with any person and as they would expect to receive themselves, upholding the truth, and offering true love whether popular or unpopular. The Church offers love and truth to all. In fact, the term “Catholic” means “universal.” :o

The Church welcomes sinners. That is why we are all there in the first place.

What other reasons made you leave your old faith?

What made you an atheist? Did you actually cease to believe in God?

Are you looking to be accepted or are you looking for Christ?

lifeteen.com/catholics-care-about-gays-the-myth-debunked/

vimeo.com/93079367

:slight_smile: ALL are welcome!

Exactly so. The Church teaches that sexual activity belongs only within marriage, and marriage is a lifelong commitment between a man and a woman. Sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong for anyone no matter their sexual orientation. Homosexual activity is not condoned, neither is fornication, adultery, or divorce.

The Church welcomes you, there are quite a few Catholics who wont.

1. Sodomy isn’t inherently a homosexual thing, a woman fellating a man is sodomy
  2. Homosexuality is about a lot more than sex.

Correction here Joie. A woman fellating a man to completion is sodomy. Oral sex is acceptable within the framework of marriage as long as the completion does not take place during it and as long as it is part of the overall marital act.

That would be a clarification via addendum not a correction per se.

1)What?! No! Sodomy is when two men use their genitals to stimulate each other, as if they were a man and a woman.

If it is a male and a female engaging in oral, it is a different kind of sin, yes, but that’s not sodomy.

1. Yes, which is why I - and the Church - says only acting on homosexual tendencies is wrong. And the only actions that really arise from homosexuality as a biological trait, rather than a culture, is sodomy, lust, adultery, and/or other sexual sins.

Actually, Joie is right. Any sexual act inherently closed to life is considered sodomy. This includes sex between gay men, sex between lesbians, heterosexual oral/anal/anything else other than vaginal to completion, etc. Some theologians even include intentionally contraceptive sex (pill used for contraception, condoms, IUD, etc.) to be sodomy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.