Are males in 'traditional' marriages sexist?

The answer, apparently, is yes, at least according to a study that was released this year. The authors define ‘traditional’ as the husband working and the wife not.

Specifically mentioned in the study is the possible influence of religious beliefs:

Finally, another benefit may be spiritual in nature since specific tenets within
religious doctrines sometimes focus on gender relations and men’s and women’s roles for childrearing (Davis & Greenstein, 2009). So, for instance, a follower of a particular religion may feel more spiritually endowed by believing that it is women’s primary responsibility to nurture the children in her family.

Also mentioned is gender “essentialism,” something that should be familiar to posters who read the threads about gender roles. The Church does teach that inherent differences do exist between the genders, although not necessarily in the ways listed below.

Both of these are aligned with a third reason, “gender essentialism” which is the idea that women and men are fundamentally and innately different in skills and interests.

I mention these two aspects only because they have come up explicitly on this forum. I am not an expert on the issue, so if anyone has any other studies (agreeing or disagreeing with this recent one), please share.

Where is and who did the study mentioned by Abstract in your quote? I would like to read who answered the questions , the male or the female employees? how the questions were worded because the stated theory as it is worded seemed to me to be highly biased in the first place.

Aside from that ,if the study hypothesized that women were better at organization ( which ofcourse we are ;)) then I am sure the wording could have been done to prove that perception.

When my wife and I got married, I had a decent job, and she worked at a fast food place.
We wanted kids but didnt want a babysitter to raise them. She decided that it would be best if she because a,stay at one mom. I love hot meals when I come home from work and she loves watching soap operas. Am I sexist? Or is she? I think we have a good thing! My friends are jealous of my free time because she does all the household chores and Our evenings are open for us to visit and do stuff. Our kids are far ahead of other kids their age and are being raised exactly how we want them too. We don't have as nice of vehicles or as large living space but that's the only downfall.

When I first read the part of men denying better qualified women promotions due to gender, needless to say my first reaction was to have my hair stand up on my head. Knowing what it has been liked to be a woman bullied by men at work.

However, concentrating on those types of studies puts a wedge between me and God. I need to trust God and follow his will and I will be OK in th end. Sure we have trends in societies which will always be unfair to some group or another, but we will also always have people who go against the tide and will be happy.

It is such an individual issue a study in a way does not capture reality

CM

[quote="PeterJohn, post:3, topic:287106"]
When my wife and I got married, I had a decent job, and she worked at a fast food place.
We wanted kids but didnt want a babysitter to raise them. She decided that it would be best if she because a,stay at one mom. I love hot meals when I come home from work and she loves watching soap operas. Am I sexist? Or is she? I think we have a good thing! My friends are jealous of my free time because she does all the household chores and Our evenings are open for us to visit and do stuff. Our kids are far ahead of other kids their age and are being raised exactly how we want them too. We don't have as nice of vehicles or as large living space but that's the only downfall.

[/quote]

So you both opted for quality over quantity and have a far more fulfilling life...

:thumbsup:

Is all I have for you

Where is and who did the study mentioned by Abstract in your quote? All I see is an arbitrary and obviously biased opinion.

The names of the academics who conducted the study are listed on the linked page. The purpose of a study is to provide empirical justification (and the resultant paper trail) so that the claim of bias must be justified given that the procedural method is transparent. You may view the paper in its entirety through the link I sent.

[quote="cmscms, post:4, topic:287106"]
When I first read the part of men denying better qualified women promotions due to gender

[/quote]

I would think any business would deny someone a promotion because they're not the best suited. Qualifications may not always indicate this. Aptitude & attitude is far more important than a piece of paper.

That being said anyone who promotes on a basis that doesn't aim to better their organization (gender, religion, sexual preference) really shouldn't be involved in determining promotions.

Well that's just my $0.02

I'd like to be a stay at home mom as soon as my husband has a stable enough career for us to begin having children. I don't see this as being sexist at all, at least not in our case. It's just what I want to do, that's all.

[quote="Debora123, post:8, topic:287106"]
I'd like to be a stay at home mom as soon as my husband has a stable enough career for us to begin having children. I don't see this as being sexist at all, at least not in our case. It's just what I want to do, that's all.

[/quote]

Once that happens, beware of radical feminists!

[quote="Debora123, post:8, topic:287106"]

[/quote]

I am glad that works for your family, but I do not think that anyone is claiming that such a setup is sexist; rather, that men in such a home situation are sexist in general. The study I posted concluded that they are.

[quote="Crescentinus, post:9, topic:287106"]

[/quote]

Or people who will claim that radical feminists are secretly plotting to come after you.:shrug:

[quote="LucyLight, post:11, topic:287106"]
Or people who will claim that radical feminists are secretly plotting to come after you.:shrug:

[/quote]

My point is, radical feminists have this hatred against traditional marriage. They view it as misogyny. They especially hate stay-at-home mothers.

Well I'm a sahm and I'm not feeling the hate. I live in a pretty liberal area and you would be suprised at the amount of sahm moms.

My point to you is that a lot of people around here blame everything on a certain group of women and their definition of radical feminist can be pretty broad. I apologize if that's not what you were doing but its a common theme around here.

I personally am appalled at the title of the thread. The very idea that traditional marriages are even called into question as 'sexist' hints at the millieu that has been generated by feminists.

[quote="Crescentinus, post:9, topic:287106"]

[/quote]

Have never had this problem. Ever. I suppose there always room for a first.

[quote="Nimzovik, post:14, topic:287106"]
I personally am appalled at the title of the thread. The very idea that traditional marriages are even called into question as 'sexist' hints at the millieu that has been generated by feminists.

[/quote]

The study is not claiming that traditional marriages are sexist but that men in traditional marriages are more likely to be.

Based on my own personal experience(big disclaimer here) of American men, the group that I think would be the most sexist are certain groups of devoutly protestant men. They also happen to be in traditional marriages. I think Catholics who are in full communion with the church do not tend to be. My experience with some of these groups make me glad to be Catholic!

It's an interesting article and does shed some light on attitudes that might be unfair to women in the workplace. Where women wish to participate in the workplace, they should not be encumbered with unfair bias.

That said, I think it's problematic that the authors seem to assume that a stalled "gender revolution" is a problem to begin with. What do they mean exactly by this and (depending on that answer) why is it a problem?

The participation of women in the workforce is a complex issue that does not simply boil down to sexist attitudes. The authors themselves mention gender essentialism, but don't really elaborate any further. While I agree that there seems, in some corporate cultures, to be a "pocket of resistance" to the "gender revolution", have they weighed this against attitudes among women to children and maternity leave, short or extended?

I think more enlightened understanding of this issue is often hindered by the presumption that it is sexist attitudes that drives perceived inequality, rather than equally exploring issues such as the choices professional women make in having and raising children.

This being from a social "science" review makes me think of this quote from Starship Troopers

imdb.com/title/tt0120201/quotes?qt0257110

Jean Rasczak: All right, let's sum up. This year in history, we talked about the failure of democracy. How the social scientists of the 21st Century brought our world to the brink of chaos. We talked about the veterans, how they took control and imposed the stability that has lasted for generations since. We talked about the rights and privileges between those who served in the armed forces and those who haven't, therefore called citizens and civilians.
[to a student]
Jean Rasczak: You. Why are only citizens allowed to vote?
Student: It's a reward. Something the federation gives you for doing federal service.
Jean Rasczak: No. Something given has no basis in value. When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.

I'm a SAHM and it suits me fine...I don't think it's sexist.

I just need a constant reminder that my job is much harder then Hubbys...:D

I have.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.