Are most Episcopalians the radical liberal type or no?

For example, you have weird theologians like Marcus Borg or John Shelby Spong who were active clergy but basically were atheists or pantheists following the peaceful teachings of Jesus.

And then i see an active episcopalian referring to God as female and saying Jesus was an illiterate peasant.

So are these heresies the ‘norm’?

I knew they had some conflict with the Church of England Anglicans over gays. Don’t they perform gay marriages now I think?

Then there’s this…

patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2013/05/ho-lee-cow-2.html

Wow, well their Liturgy is much more traditional, on that level they are conservative. On other hand, they seem quite liberal in some respects.

Speaking personally - here in the Pacific NW, people who describe themselves as Anglicans are a saintly people. Those who describe themselves as Episcopalians are apt to have a ‘coexists’ sticker on their Toyota Prius - the split between the two is quite complete.

Episcopal:

http://themcj.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Katharine-Jefferts-Schori.jpg

Anglican:

Those CoExist bumper stickers grate on me.

Anglicans are usually folk who left the Episcopal Church, either to become part of the Anglican Continuum, or perhaps are members of the Anglican Church in North America.

The OP is too broad a subject to address, particularly when I’m tired. But the concept of the variability of Anglicans/Episcopalians would form a part of the answer.

GKC

most members of the Episcopal Church are normal Christians and members of a Church with a long history-we encourage discussion and individual thoughts on all issues-we believe in the principles in the Nicene Creed which we say at every service-we have the same sacraments that RC have

Where we differ from the RC Church (which we respect) are in the following areas:

1: issues of human sexuality

2: female ordination

3: sacrament of reconciliation -our understanding of it

4: we view the Pope as a Holy Man -not our spiritual leader:cool:

I personally am a Physician -socially conservative - and love my Church warts and all

In naming a few of our more colorful characters you forgot Matthew Fox and several hundred former Roman Catholic Priests (Fr. Cutie of course in Miami)

The typical Episcopalian goes to Mass, confesses his/her sins, receives absolution, venerates Christ in the holy Sacrament and receives holy Communion. So how do they differ from other Christians?

As a Lutheran, I have had great experiences with Episcopalians and always look forward to being in their presence at Mass.

I am leaving the Episcopal Church precisely because of these theological views. Completely untenable, especially if you declare the Bible as part of your doctrine of authority.

The typical Episcopalian, as I have witnessed first hand for many years, does not confess their sins (at least not in the sacramental sense), and many parishes do not receive holy Communion on regular basis.

That being said there are many good and well intentioned Episcopalians that remain in the church, and many that do a lot of very good work for the poor and marginalized for society. I will always count among some of the most ardent believers I know as Episcopalians.

Although, I personally could no longer in good conscious remain in worship in a church that allows the heresies (from an orthodox and Catholic viewpoint) that the OP described. It is slowly, but rest assured certainly, becoming the norm. Just look at some of the resolutions passed by their General Convention last year generalconvention.org/gc/gc2012. There is a bishop that declares himself a non-believer.… what else is there to say?

There is an antidote :slight_smile:

http://www.contradictmovement.org/images/3f1837ef038b6efa72100b3773b9fb35.jpg

(complete text)

Humility is what The Lord seeks

It is safe to say that those who remain and are not liberal are “theologically flexible” enough to justify in their minds being in community with those who are as you described.

The CoE is pretty much where the Episcopal Church is theologically speaking. You have to go to the ACNA member churches or to the Global South (Africa) to get more theologically conservative members of the Anglican Communion.

in all honesty, there is a number of splits and turmoil in the Anglican communion between liberal and conservative. It would not be fair to label most Episcopalians as liberal or that Episcopalians are liberal and Anglicans are the more conservative. There are a number of dividing issues in the Anglican community and one cannot make a blanket statement that most are “radical liberal” because if that were true, there would not be a number of Episcopalians splitting off from each other. This is also true for a number of other mainline Protestant denominations like United Methodists, Lutherans, Presbytarians etc.

Yep. Motley, them Anglicans.

GKC

Not to disagree with your comment, however, with rare exception, only Anglo Catholics call the Eucharist “Mass” and some on rare occasions might go to confession.

At this point in the Episcopal Church, many members who are conservative have left the Episcopal Church and either are part of a Continuing group or have joined an Ordinariate for Anglicans/Episcopalians or some have become Orthodox.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

The last picture you posted is of a Catholic “Anglican Use” parish, fully part of the Catholic Church, not Anglican.

God Bless

Bernadette

Good eye!

It’s from here: stalbanfellowship.org/letter-and-articles/fr-phillips-5202010

Our Church has Holy Communion at every service-regarding the Sacrament of reconciliation we have a general confession at each service-we also have Private confession by request -a difference from RC is that we believe that we bring our sins directly to the Divine and the Priest acknowledgs the forgiveness of sins -

Never heard Jesus referred to as not masculine -none of the episcopal Parishes around have ever done that ( we would hear) I attend a middle of the road Parish liturgically -

I agree that Bishop’s Schorri’s get up is a bit much -wonder if she had red slippers on?

Bishop Pike was out there ( now deceased) Bishop Sponge-did get in trouble with the Church but survived essentially by leaving active ministry

Most of our congregation I would say are liberal in their social views - but not excessively so-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.