Are muslim claims that Muhammad is the descendant of Ishmael true?

Muslims claim that Muhammad is the descendant of Ishmael and his son Kedar/Qedar. The Qedarites, northern Arabic tribe is named after Kedar, according to several sources including the Bible. According to the Bible, members of the tribe are the descendants of Kedar and they are Arabs. Fihr is an ancestor of Muhammad and a descendant of Kedar. Muhammad’s tribe the Quraish is named after Fihr. So on the first look it seems that Muhammad cannot be a prophet because he is not of the race of David, but he just might be a descendant of Abraham, which would make him valid in this sense. But are these muslim claims true? Is Muhammad really a descendant of Ishmael and Kedar, or is it just a later muslim forgery?

1 Like

That’s all it is - claims -

There are no actual records of a true ancestry from the Islamic Mohammad.

He’s mother was Amina from the clan of the Qurash and she lived in Mecca

He’s father was Abdullah, don’t know what clan and he lived in Mecca

There are no actual records of Mohammads real birth day as birth/death records were not record in that region

I’m enclosing a link to the kingdoms of the Kedar Arabs starting with Ishmael and his first son… and as you can see, there are many gaps in there where the names are not recorded.

historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsMiddEast/ArabicKedar.htm
I
n closing, it is just a claim Muslims make. They need to attach themselves to Biblical names.

Also notice that Ishmael is not a prophet in Judaism nor Christianity.

Keep in mind that the OT states about Ishmael in Genesis 16

He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone’s hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers.

Scientifically, given that we mostly have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents etc., it is likely that all of us are descendants of Issac, Ismael and all the other children of Abraham (assuming that their lineages did not die out).

:amen::amen:

I don’t think there’s any way to know. It is a 1500-year-old claim based on tradition. Such is the convention for ancient literature. The claim that Jesus was a descendant of David is equally based on tradition and equally unknowable. I would say that for both Christians and Muslims, the historical fact doesn’t really matter, since they accept the word of the sacred texts.

Anyone ever heard this song?
I’m My Own Grandpa- Ray Stevens ( with family tree diagram …
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw
Artist: Ray Stevens
:smiley:

Also don’t forget that Isaac and Ishmael both buried their father. And therefore also no mention of building the Kaaba before that:hmmm: Thus, claims such as Mohammed is descendant of Ishmael also must be considered inconsistent.

MJ

The fathers and roman writers seemed to have thought of the arabs as descendants of Ishmael but its difficult to say that with any certainty.

Someone spent some time putting this Family Tree together :wink:

majesticislam.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/family-tree-from-adam-to-prophet-muhammed-as/

Regards Tony

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.