Are muslim women allowed to marry non muslims?

In what part of the quran are the verses that forbid the union of a muslim woman with a non-muslim man?

** In the name of Allah , the Most Gracious , Ever Merciful **

http://theislampath.com/smf/Smileys/default/salam.gif

Marrying a Non-Muslim Male

Q. I live in the United States and I have many friends who are Christians. Some of these friends are males. Recently, my feelings for a male friend have grown deeper. I feel I am falling in love with him. It is at the point where I want to marry him, since he also has feelings for me.

However, I do not want to commit anything that is against Islam. Why is it okay for men to marry Christian women yet Muslim women are not allowed to marry Christian men?

ans. …A Muslim male or female should not marry a non-Muslim male or female. Allah Almighty says: “ Wed not idolatresses till they believe; for lo! a believing bondwoman is better than an idolatress though she please you; and give not your daughters in marriage to idolaters till they believe, for lo! a believing slave is better than an idolater though he please you. These invite unto the Fire, and Allah inviteth unto the Garden, and unto forgiveness by His grace, and expoundeth thus His revelations to mankind that haply they may remember.” (Al-Baqarah: 221)

The only exception is given to Muslim men who are allowed to marry the girls from among the People of the Book. Allah Almighty says: “This day are (all) good things made lawful for you. The food of those who have received the Scripture is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them. And so are the virtuous women of the believers and the virtuous women of those who received the Scripture before you (lawful for you) when ye give them their marriage portions and live with them in honor, not in fornication, nor taking them as secret concubines. Whoso denieth the faith, his work is vain and he will be among the losers in the Hereafter.” (Al-Ma’dah: 5)

For the satisfaction of your heart, let me explain why Muslim men are allowed to marry women from among the People of the Book and why Muslim women are not allowed to do so.

First of all, it is not an honor or a privilege to marry a non-Muslim. It is a burden and a big responsibility. It is better to abstain from such marriages. Muslim men who are living in non-Muslim countries in particular should not marry non-Muslim women. However, man being the head of his household is more capable to handle the needs and problems of his non-Muslim (Christian or Jewish) wife. Muslims believe that Moses and Jesus, peace and blessings be upon them all, were Prophets of Allah and so they give them full honor and respect.

Jews and Christians do not consider Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, as the Prophet of Allah. Thus they are unable to give the same respect and honor to him and to his followers. A Jewish or Christian woman with a Muslim husband will be in a much better position than a Muslim woman with a Jewish or a Christian husband. Even then, there are many non-Muslim women who married outside their faith say that they wish their religion too had forbidden them, because they know how difficult and hard it is to be the wife of a husband who has a different faith.

A Muslim woman should know that Allah has really honored her and made it easy for her by not allowing her to marry a non-Muslim man.

According to the Qur’an, the husband is the head of the household and his wife should obey him. Allah does not put the Muslim woman in a position that a non-Muslim becomes her head in her own private life. Allah has spared her to suffer from being under the authority of a non-Muslim husband.

Please abandon the idea of marrying a non-Muslim, unless he truly accepts Islam. If you marry a non-Muslim, this will be a major sin. You will be living in sin and your relationship with that non-Muslim will be illegitimate in the eyes of Allah. May Allah protect you from all sins, Amen.”

Allah Almighty knows best.

islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543072

what you have shown me the is the opinion of a scholar.

show me a verse in the quran that forbids the marriage of a muslim woman to a non-muslim man.

if you can’t then you are forbidding that which Allah has permitted.

According to chapter Al-Ma’dah: 5 , Muslim men are allowed to marry chaste Jewish & Christian women. There is no verse in holy Quran that says Muslim Women are allowed to marry non-Muslims. Why not ask your wife to show the verse if there is any ?

I don’t believe that there are any verses in the koran stating that a “woman can marry a man from the people of the book”.

All of the marriage verses I’ve been reading all morning are for men telling them what to do/not to do - there is no guide for women.

It seems like allah wanted to guide the men only and not the women, but we already know why the women don’t have the same rights as men by now…

nope . by not allowing Muslim Women to marry non-Muslims , there is a guide line :slight_smile:

why go for same rights in each matter ? God created men & women differently ; duties & responsiblities are also different. Surely u don’t think we human being are more intelligent or knowledgable than our Creator ?

You haven’t been reading very closely. 2.221 sets out the standard for both men and women. They are exactly parallel.

Men are not to marry from among “al-mus’rikun”; they should prefer an believing slave to a free pagan. Likewise when choosing a spouse for “your daughters”, do not marry your daughters to “al-mus’rikun”, but prefer a believing slave over a free pagan (no matter how much you like the pagan…i.e., no matter how advantageous the marriage).

I do not think the passage from 5.5 says anything new or different though it does clarify what the contrast between pagan and believer covers.

I think MuslimWoman has explained pretty well why it has played out differently in practice for so long.

I believe the discussion was for “people of the book” - NOT pagans and slaves.

the distinction made in 2.221 is between al-mus’rikun (which I am translating as pagans) and believers. We are told not to marry the pagan. 5.5 helps us clarify.

Regardless of what you wrote - the bottom line is what I said earlier.

A muslim man can marry from the “people of the book” - Christian/Jew
A muslim woman **cannot **marry from the “people of the book” - Christian/Jew

What you said earlier is that men get guidance and women do not. This is not only obviously false, but in the preeminent passage on who we ought to marry that is found in the Qur’an (2.221) we receive exactly the same guidance (I think this is the point that algebra was, in fact, trying to bring out in his original question, in a not so subtle way).

The reasons that it has played out differently in practice for men and women are addressed well enough by MuslimWoman.

Show me the verse where it states that a “muslim woman” can marry a **man **from “people of the book”.

I have already pointed out, on multiple occasions now 2.221 and given an interpretation of it.

So, you show me where it says they can’t. That we don’t marry Christians and Jews, and why is a different issue. But al-mus’rikun clearly does not include those who faithfully follow the One in accordance with previous “books”.

Algebra should please correct me if I am wrong, but the whole point of the question was to point out that the Qur’an itself does not forbid women from marrying those who faithfully follow the One in accordance with earlier “books” (e.g., Christians and Jews).

That is correct.

I am married to a muslim woman. To date I have not seen a passage in the quran or for that matter from the ahadith, that forbids a marriage to a christian or jew.

I have just seen islamic scholars opining.

And if I am not mistaken they are calling haraam something that Allah has not deemed haraam.

So they are in error.

The koran **only **states that men can marry wormen from “people of the book”… it does not say that muslim women can marry “people of the book”.

MW posted a fatwa or tasfir stating that only men can marry “people of the book” women.

I concur based on my statement earlier that the verse is for men only, not women.

Algebra stated, from what I gather, **claims that there is nothing in the koran that states otherwise - that there is no verse in the koran where it claims muslim women cannot marry Jews/Christians. ** In addition, he also claimed that “it does not forbid the union” of this.

He is correct. There is nothing in the koran that a muslim woman cannot marry a Jew/Christian - but the islamic thought is that it is not proper practice.

I think in order to hold such a reading you have to think that 5.5 is saying something new, in addition to what was already said in 2.221. In order for that to be the case 2.221 would have to be profoundly unhelpful passage: You are not allowed to marry pagans, “believers” would only apply to Muslims, and there are a whole broad group of people, neither pagan nor Muslim who are unaddressed. That does not, it seems to me, comport with the sense of 2.221 which, it seems, on a fairly obvious reading, to provide an exhaustive distinction in which there is no middle group. There are the pagans, and those that believe in one God. We are allowed to marry those that believe in the One.

Algebra stated, from what I gather, **claims that there is nothing in the koran that states otherwise - that there is no verse in the koran where it claims muslim women cannot marry Jews/Christians. **…

He is correct. There is nothing in the koran that a muslim woman cannot marry a Jew/Christian - but the islamic thought is that it is not proper practice.

Now that last sentence I would agree with entirely. There is nothing in the Qur’an that forbids marriage of, for instance, a Jew or Christian by a woman (and in fact I would say that 2.221 gives us the exact same options as men). But, traditionally, we do not do it for other reasons.

yes thats true,because when children are born the children usually follow the fathers tradition and religion

BUT,many muslims and scholars say that there are no “people of book”, not anymore…so muslim men can NOT marry any jchristians anymore…because as we see it,their religion has developed,its not the same as during the Kuran,so today the christians are also mushirkun(Pagan)

Jews are still very monotheistic so it would be okey to marry a jew if it wasnt for the politics(israel and stuff)

and thats kinda my opinion

Please , show me the verse that allows Muslim Women to marry non-Muslims . Mother Aisha (ra ) was first engaged to another man -Zubair. When he refused to accept Islam , marriage proposal was broken . Prophet’s daughter was married to Abu Lahab’s son . He refusued to accept Islam & divorced her .

During the time of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) , do u know any believing woman who married any Jew or Christian ?

After reading the Quran , we must find examples in the life of the Prophet . He never arranged marriage of any Muslim Woman with any non-Muslim man . Pl. don’t write anything that may encourage your sisters in Islam to commit a major sin .

more explanation : The point is Allah allowed Muslim men to marry Jewish & Christian women . Allah did not mention in any verse that says Muslimah can do the same .

That’s the main reason Muslim woman can’t marry non-Muslims.

Some scholars try to explain what may be the reasons for this . The Reasons given by them may or may not be true but as I said , Allah says so , that’s why Muslim men can marry women of the holy book . We must not say or do anything that goes against the command of Allah .

And Allah knows Best.

Hi algebra :),

I understand your situation, but unfortunately as others have said your wife is sinning (Islamiclly), here is how it goes:

First: Quran did not allow BOTH Muslim men and women to marry non-Muslims per this verse:

(Quran 2:221):
Do not marry unbelieving women until they believe: a slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman. Even though she allure you. Nor marry (your girls) to Unbelievers until they believe: a slave man who believes is better than an Unbeliever even though he allure you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of Bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: that they may receive admonition.”

[RIGHT]ولا تنكحوا المشركات حتى يؤمن ولأمة مؤمنة خير من مشركة ولو أعجبتكم ولا تنكحوا المشركين حتى يؤمنوا ولعبد مؤمن خير من مشرك ولو أعجبكم أولئك يدعون إلى النار والله يدعو إلى الجنة والمغفرة بإذنه ويبين آياته للناس لعلهم يتذكرون
[/RIGHT]

Second: After sometimes Quran partially cancelled “aka الناسخ والمنسوخ” the above verse with this one (which allows Muslims men to marry women from the people of the book only AND NOT vise versa) :

(Quran 5:5):
This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are Believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time, when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues. If any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).”

[RIGHT]اليوم أحل لكم الطيبات وطعام الذين أوتوا الكتاب حل لكم وطعامكم حل لهم والمحصنات من المؤمنات والمحصنات من الذين أوتوا الكتاب من قبلكم إذا آتيتموهن أجورهن محصنين غير مسافحين ولا متخذي أخدان ومن يكفر بالإيمان فقد حبط عمله وهو في الآخرة من الخاسرين

[LEFT]So (Quran 5:5) has partially cancelled (Quran 2:221) for Muslim men only, while (Quran 2:221) is still valid for Muslim women in general and still valid for Muslim men marrying women not from the people of the book.

Its complicated right… :whacky: :p.

My advice to you is to introduce Christianity to your wife, maybe by starting watching documentaries about Christianity together from time to time, maybe God The Most High will open her heart for the truth like how He did with you.

[/LEFT]
[/RIGHT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.