Are Muslims better than Atheists

I’ve been running this over and over in my mind as Christianity in America seems to have become so insipid. Unless things change dramatically especially among Evangelical Christianity (Mainline Protestantism doesn’t count for anything) and unless Catholicism doesn’t rise up with the truths it has America will continue its drift into Atheism. That alternative would have been inconceivable just a couple of decades ago but seems rather likely now.

In America the one religion that shows some vitality is Islam.

Will Christianity gets some nerve in America? Will we continue to drift into self centered Atheism the religion of mainline Protestantism and insipid (I like that word) Evangelicalism? Will Catholicism flex what muscle it has left and put a stop to the drift? Will Islam offer such an attractive alternative to insipid American Christianity that it will become the religion of choice for serious people?

Is Islam better than Atheism?

Dan L

Which do you consider the LESSER of the two evils?

There is nothing better than the other (muslim or atheist) except to believe in the one who was crucified, died, and rose again on the third day. Praise be to the Lord Jesus Christ. For no one can say that “Jesus is LORD” except by the Holy Spirit.

Pio

I believe Muslims are the lesser of two evils but in either way we will be persecuted endlessly.

What I’m really hoping is to bestir American Christians to stop focusing upon their own wants and desires and focus upon Jesus Christ.

DanL

Doesn’t matter… if either one manages to obtain a sizeable enough majority here, we’re in trouble.

I’m a bit perplexed, do you all believe that it is the same for someone not to believe in God, and for someone to believe in Monotheism (On God), yet not profess the divinity of Jesus?

Munawar

[quote=Munawar]I’m a bit perplexed, do you all believe that it is the same for someone not to believe in God, and for someone to believe in Monotheism (On God), yet not profess the divinity of Jesus?

Munawar
[/quote]

They’re not identical, but neither would have any practical value in the grand scheme of things.

Granted, the Catechism does state that it is possible for those including Muslims (maybe athiests also?) to be saved, but that’s only taking into account the slight possibility of invincible ignorance.

EDIT: Okay, I’m not sure about the Catechism specifically, but that is the position of the Church in any event.

From what I hear of the definition of invincible ignorance, it doesn’t seem like it is slight.

[quote=Munawar]I’m a bit perplexed, do you all believe that it is the same for someone not to believe in God, and for someone to believe in Monotheism (On God), yet not profess the divinity of Jesus?

Munawar
[/quote]

Im with you Munawar. Certainly the Catholic Church professes that both Islam and Judaism are superior to atheism. Im not sure what the original poster was thinking when he wrote “Is Islam better than Atheism?”. Is the context of the question theological or practical?
Anyone who recognizes God is “better” - whatever that means - than someone who denies God. I certainly feel an affinity with Muslims that I do not share with atheists…

Phil

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]From what I hear of the definition of invincible ignorance, it doesn’t seem like it is slight.
[/quote]

Really? I always had a pretty strict definition, like never even having heard of Christianity before… but that’s just me. I haven’t read any authentic church documents that actually define it in any way.

[quote=exoflare]Really? I always had a pretty strict definition, like never even having heard of Christianity before… but that’s just me. I haven’t read any authentic church documents that actually define it in any way.
[/quote]

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1260 “Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery.” Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity.

Of course, this presupposes the person truly desires to live a life pleasing to God and in accordance with his will. And how many people really do that, even among Christians? This is not a “get out of jail free” card by any means, but rather a statement upholding the infinite mercy of God who alone judges the hearts of men.

The intent of the question was mostly practical. Given the laissez faire attitude about God I perceive among many Roiman Catholics and many Protestants in America many seem to take for granted the great blessings of Christ through the Church. This attitude makes us rife for take over by a crippling practical atheism from within or for a take over by Islam which in many areas is very vibrant.

It is troubling. Maybe I just need to pray more, but I think the danger is real.

Dan L

[quote=GregoryPalamas]The intent of the question was mostly practical. Given the laissez faire attitude about God I perceive among many Roiman Catholics and many Protestants in America many seem to take for granted the great blessings of Christ through the Church. This attitude makes us rife for take over by a crippling practical atheism from within or for a take over by Islam which in many areas is very vibrant.

It is troubling. Maybe I just need to pray more, but I think the danger is real.

Dan L
[/quote]

Gregory, I think that islam is worse than atheism, I know this is very polemical but It´s my opinion, respect growth, well, apostates are difficult to find for clear reasons, but the conversions of muslims to catholicism will produce soon.

[quote=GregoryPalamas]The intent of the question was mostly practical. Given the laissez faire attitude about God I perceive among many Roiman Catholics and many Protestants in America many seem to take for granted the great blessings of Christ through the Church. This attitude makes us rife for take over by a crippling practical atheism from within or for a take over by Islam which in many areas is very vibrant.

Dan L
[/quote]

Yes, the take over from a Judeo-Christian-based society to a purely secular one is only the first step towards an atheistic society so longed for by groups like the ACLU. They and others who believe like them have worked tirelessly to root out any mention of religion, except in the most negative terms, from the public consciousness.

It’s been a long campaign that most Christians had been oblivious to until Roe vs Wade and even then many thought it didn’t affect them. But now, with the Terri Schiavo case many are waking up to the fact that the goal of atheists is the total annihilation of religion, especially Christianity in any form except that which closes an eye to its agenda or, by going along with it, have been rendered harmless.

By all means let us to our prayers. And along with that, let us not be afraid to be counter-cultural and stand up for other people of faith when they are being oppressed by those who want to hush us up at all costs, including taking away our civil rights and eventually putting us all in gulags–real ones, ala Russia and Cuba, et al.

Della,

I certainly believe I have more in common with a Sufi Muslim than I do with the ACLU or some of the judges who rush to put peaceful abortion protestors in prison.

Dan L

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.