Are non-Christian religions acceptable?

I’m surprised to see the number of Catholics today who actually believe non-Christian religions are somehow acceptable. Read these verses from Scripture carefully:

• And he said to them: Go ye into the whole world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall be condemned.” Mark 16:15-16
  • If any man come to you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into the house nor say to him, God speed you. For he that saith unto him, God speed you, communicateth with his wicked works.” 2 John 1:10-11
  • But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven.” Mat 10:33

These verses contain words directly from our Lord confirming that those who deny Jesus, don’t believe in the Gospels, and who do not get baptized are condemned. How then can any Catholic possibly give any value to non-Christian religions?

What?

What do you mean - we’re not Biblical Christians?

Well i always taught growing up that If you dont believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and you do not belong to the Roman Catholic Church, that you end up in Hell. Then I learned there was a catch 22 with purgatory so maybe non catholics go to purgatory along with regular catholics ? Then I remembered that only God / The Holy Trinity is judge , jury, and executioner, and isn’t bound by human rules. Who knows Eddie, Make sure to let the Pope and everyone else in on the secret once you figure it out though.

It’s self explanatory. They use traditions over the Bible.

No, we don’t. What in the world gave you that idea?

I suppose we need to have a better understanding of what you mean by the word “accepteable”. Acceptable to whom? Acceptable in what way?

How are Catholics supposed to interpret this statement.

Is this a negative statement? Are you accusing Catholics of not being ‘real’ Christians?

Is this a positive statement? Are you saying Catholics rightly believe that the Bible must be read in its proper context with Tradition and Authority?

He’s a Jesuit behaving like a Jesuit. He’s perfectly fine.

I believe that catholics are christians, I just don’t believe they’re Biblical.

I’m thinking it’s the former, Diz.

Haydock Commentary, Mark 16

Ver. 16. Let those weep and lament who have not yet seen him, and in a short time they shall receive consolation. Blessed are they that weep, for they shall be comforted, St. Matthew v. (St. Jerome) — Perhaps some one will say within himself, I have already believed, I shall be saved: he says true, if his faith be supported by good works; for that only is true faith, which does not contradict in works what is believed in words. (St. Gregory)

Haydock Commentary, 2 John 1

Ver. 10. Nor say to him, Hail; or peace be to you, God speed you, all hail; or use any form of saluting him, as you would a friend, much less receive or entertain him in your house: this admonition is in general to forewarn persons of the dangers which may arise from a familiarity with heretics, and such as teach evil doctrine. But by this is not forbidden civility, kindness, and a sincere charity for all men, by which we ought to wish and pray for the eternal salvation of every one. I translate Ave by peace be to you, because this was the usual salutation among the Jews, and in those times, as we see in Luke xxiv. and John xx.

What other type of “Christian” is there?

And not Biblical in what way? What do we do that’s not Biblical? Specifics would help.

What does this mean? Acceptable in what way? Are you referring to the fact that Catholicism acknowledges that we cannot begin to comprehend the mercy and will of God, and as a result, it is possible that God may decide that they are worthy of heaven? Is this really the same as considering something Acceptable?

Answer something for me: what Christian denomination do you profess?

And please tell me what the Pope has done that is non-biblical?

Yes, it is. You have a point of view that is informed by your beliefs.

I think it is. If you’re going to sit here and tell me I don’t follow the Bible and my Pope is leading me astray and criticize my own religion, I have a right to know where you’re coming from, and it just might help your case. (Or shatter it.)

What Christian denomination do you profess?

No, it’s not relevant. You will just mock my denomination if I were to tell you.

Now you are just being disrespectful. Let me remind you that you are expected to be respectful of Catholicism and other religions here!

The Catholic Church compiled the Bible.
It is nonsensical to then say the Catholic Church is non-Biblical.

Do all Catholics live biblically based, sinless lives? No, but what Christian does?

You are concerned about revealing your faith, but you have no problem mocking other people’s faith… How convenient.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.