Are non-denom "churches" basically protestant?

my ex-girlfriend started going to a “non denom church” she had no interest in going to my catholic church but wanted me to attend her non-denom church. so i went once…i felt very uncomfortable with attending and felt that i didnt like the “evangelical” “fanatical” type preachings and worship ways.

so basically we broke up because she became very fanatical with her church and felt that catholics were wrong…blah blah blah.
i feel that non-denom churches are basically protestant churches. also is it wrong to be put off and annoyed with the “evangelic” “high pressure” “fanatical” type of worship? because i very much am annoyed by that.

[quote=justint77]my ex-girlfriend started going to a “non denom church” she had no interest in going to my catholic church but wanted me to attend her non-denom church. so i went once…i felt very uncomfortable with attending and felt that i didnt like the “evangelical” “fanatical” type preachings and worship ways.

so basically we broke up because she became very fanatical with her church and felt that catholics were wrong…blah blah blah.
i feel that non-denom churches are basically protestant churches. also is it wrong to be put off and annoyed with the “evangelic” “high pressure” “fanatical” type of worship? because i very much am annoyed by that.
[/quote]

I have asked this a few times on this forum and not one person has responded. I will answer as I was in a non denominational church for a few years. The non denominational churches are just another protestant denomination. PERIOD. No one has yet to prove me wrong.

I would say that non-denominational churches are basically Protestant.

The charismatic catholic churches can be just as fanatical – and protestant, I might add!

[quote=mastda]I have asked this a few times on this forum and not one person has responded. I will answer as I was in a non denominational church for a few years. The non denominational churches are just another protestant denomination. PERIOD. No one has yet to prove me wrong.
[/quote]

I guess that, except for converts who previously attended non-denom churches, there’s not a lot of expertise here about them. But if somebody asked my my opinion I would certainly say that non-denom churches were independent churches of Protestant origin and theology.

I don’t think it’s wrong to be put off by the non-denom style of worship. It’s quite different from what we, as Catholics, are used to. If a non-denom attended our mass for the first time, he would probably be a bit put off by it as well.

As yes, I think that non-denom churches are just another form of Protestant Chruches. No more - no less.

If it’s not Catholic, it’s protestant. A protest against The Catholic Church.

Calvary Chapel as far as I know is just a protestant church that claims that we are “just christians”

This is very appealing to Catholics because non-denominational sounds like it accepts all beliefs. Yet the beliefs are pretty much evangelical beliefs said to be non-affiliated with any faith tradition.
A Baptist minister told me that making a non-denominational church is essentially creating your own denomination, which I believe is a pretty accurate statement.

I know of many Catholics who have gone to a non-denominational church and then gradually accepted their theology. This theology includes most the basic parts of Baptist belief.

Some Baptists also believe they are not Protestant either.

God Bless
Scylla

yeah she had no intentions of attending my church even though i went with her. people who talked to us afterwards asked what religion i was and when i told them i was Catholic i got wierd looks and one person even told me “oh, im sorry” i wanted to smack him. others had all kinds of stories that ran along the lines of “… i used to be Catholic…” that was the LAST time i ever went and soon after that my girlfriend and i broke up. now im pretty happy because my current girlfriend goes to mass with me and is completely willing to convert because she believes a family should worship the same.

I have heard the same sort of comments, like

“I used to be Catholic now I am Christian”

Stuff like that, since I spend a lot of time around people from Calvary Chapel they shy away from talking about Christianity with me, though I bring it up. I want to share the beauty of the Catholic Church so much, but it is amazing the feelings against the Church people feel after attending non-denominational churches for awhile.

Just go over to RaptureReady.com and you will see, how deep it runs.

Pray and share the gospel with them as much as possible.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=justint77]my ex-girlfriend started going to a “non denom church” she had no interest in going to my catholic church but wanted me to attend her non-denom church. so i went once…i felt very uncomfortable with attending and felt that i didnt like the “evangelical” “fanatical” type preachings and worship ways.

[/quote]

Just curious. what “evangelical” “high pressure” “fanatical” type of worship?

Kendy

One of my daughters decided to be “non-denom” some years ago. She was baptised, confirmed Catholic. Somewhere along her spiritual life, she was pursuaded to visit a non-denom pentecostal church. She felt very welcome, they made her feel very special, they even took most of her paycheck, convincing her that the Lord would re-pay her many times over. She went bankrupt! Now she is in a different nom-dom church. They teach how to read dreams, etc. Being around Catholics gives a “bad feeling”. I love my daughter and she loves me, but she spends as little time in our home as possible to not have that “Catholic feeling”. She calls me often, e-mails me, meets us for lunch, etc. They do not like any main-stream religion such as Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist,etc.

The Catholic Church lost many to non-denoms because of the way we didn’t teach the bible, show enthusiam etc. We should not have to be welcomed at the front door, but there are those who need that, they think. Sorry reason to leave the RCC, but it is happening.

So, I’d say they are protestant, but a different rather dangerous breed.

Love and peace

Mom of 5

[quote=tiny’smommy]The charismatic catholic churches can be just as fanatical – and protestant, I might add!
[/quote]

What is the Charismatic Catholic Church? I’ve never heard of it. There is the Catholic Church. There are charismatic groups within the Catholic Church but there is no Charismatic Catholic Church!!

i guess i mean, they seemed to be all in my face and in everyones business. they wanted to know everything about me etc. they were kind of pressuring me into going to this and that bible study and worship groups almost volunteering me to go. i finally had to be like “look, im here because my girlfriend wanted me to come once!, i am a Catholic and i am happy with my religion and don’t plan on converting.” basically i felt like i was at a used car lot with a high pressure salesman bugging me.

i dont mean to be disrespectful, but man, it really annoyed me, especially being a fairly "to myself "private person.

basically i started this thread to see if anyone else felt this way. and i felt somewhat bad being so judgemental about the non denominational fad.

"A denomination, in the Christian sense of the word, is an identifiable religious body, organization under a common name, structure, and/or doctrine."
It is all a matter of definitions/semantics. There are lots of non-denominational churches which do have a structure to them. There is also Victory House Fellowship down the street(serious here) that has a guy who believes the Book of Mormon and also the Bible(not a LDS), and just decided to start a church and it is non-denom as well. I have been to non-denom that speak in tongues, I have been to non-denom that say that is a sign of being possessed.

I understand the reaction to the term Protestant. It is, in practice, a term that Catholics use way more than non-Catholics. Very rarely would you hear a non-Catholic refer to themselves as Protestant. I do not use the term myself…I am not protesting against the Catholic or the Orthodox church. Semantics, a good thing to spend the afternoon arguing and nothing would change…but…there are less productive ways to kill time. :smiley:
BrianH

Non-denominational churches are an attempted to respond to divisions in the Christian faith by stepping out independently and saying, “I am not going to take sides, I just am going to worship God.” I understand that feeling, but it’s misguided since it doesn’t actually address the problem, but avoids it.

Secondly, you cannot judge non-denominational churches by one church since that church can only represent itself.

As for the harrassing part, since I have been on CAF, I was invited everyday to converted to catholicism and occasionally rebuked for resisting that suggestion; people tend to do that when you are on their territory :).

Now, what are these “charismatic people” that you speak of? That might be of interest to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Kendy

[quote=Kendy]Non-denominational churches are an attempted to respond to divisions in the Christian faith by stepping out independently and saying, “I am not going to take sides, I just am going to worship God.” I understand that feeling, but it’s misguided since it doesn’t actually address the problem, but avoids it.

[/quote]

The only problem with this rationale is the moment you choose to not choose sides, you have already made a choice and chosen a side!

[/quote]

Denonmination is division. They can call themselves non-denom but they are a division unlike the Catholic Church. Yes they are protestant because they call themselves Christians but are not Catholic therefore they’re protestant.

Peace
Tony

Adding on to my previous post…The first non-denom church DD joined made her be re-baptized (born again) because Catholic (as well as Lutheran, Episcopal, etc.) do not baptize correctly. Must be submerged. The entire church prayed for and recieved a miracle. Each one had a silver tooth filling turn GOLD!! They were literally crazed in their worship. The current church she belongs to doesn’t seem as wild as the first, but the teachings are very dangerous. They are “bible only” in beliefs and seem to have a different way of understanding the scriptures.

There are many of these ND and seems they all teach differently. DD’s minister was a co- minister in another ND. He quit because he didn’t like the way the other minister taught and started his own.

Please pray that DD returns to CC. I do not argue with her, I only pray for her and we need lots of prayers.

Love and peace

Mom of 5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.