Are official canonizations infallible?

When the Vatican canonizes somebody a saint, is that declaration infallible? Is there any possible legitimate doubt left about the eternal destiny of the person who's been canonized?

I'm just curious what the official Church position on this is, so if anyone could provide a source from Church documents on the matter, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :).

[quote="Lief_Erikson, post:1, topic:180293"]
When the Vatican canonizes somebody a saint, is that declaration infallible? Is there any possible legitimate doubt left about the eternal destiny of the person who's been canonized?

I'm just curious what the official Church position on this is, so if anyone could provide a source from Church documents on the matter, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :).

[/quote]

Hi, there.

Yes, when the Holy Father declares a person to be a saint, it's an exercise of papal infallibility.

See this essay that references Church documents, as well as a section in the Catholic Encyclopedia (scroll down for the appropriate section) that noted many other Church fathers and theologians concur on this as well.

Not all saints have this mark of infallibility, as the first and earliest saints in Catholic history became known by general acclamation--that is, popular opinion deemed the individuals as saintly. And the Orthodox Churches have made other people saints that aren't recognized by their Western Church.

[quote="Lief_Erikson, post:1, topic:180293"]

[/quote]

HI, I've always believed it is infallible, and the miracles required for canonization show the person is in Heaven.. the miracles have to be really obvious with no other possible explanation

God bless

Thank-you for the references. You’ve cleared this matter for me!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.