Are only priests "marked" in Heaven?

I read a priest that I respect very much and recently he wrote that in Heaven he would retain the mark of his priesthood, but lose the “mark” of his particular branch of religious life.

ie, Father Joe Priest OFM would remain a Father, but no longer be an OFM.

2 questions:

1. Is this true? and

2. Is this true also for third orders? (we were told that we were “marked” as an OFS at profession, for example)

May God bless all of you for all that you do. :slight_smile:

Hi,

There are three sacraments that leave indelible marks on the soul: Baptism. Confirmation, and Holy Orders. This means that in heaven we are metaphysically changed. One’s very being undergoes a change for having received these sacraments. So our souls and glorified bodies will reflect this in heaven for all eternity.

This does not mean that our personal histories on earth will be forgotten or not acknowledged. Just because sacramental marriages are until death and are therefore fulfilled in heaven, the spouses will remember their marriage and appreciate it and each other, more than ever. My parents will always be my parents and I will always be their son. This goes for spiritual parents as well. I will always be a spiritual son of St. Dominic and you and Fr. Joe will always be the spiritual children of St. Francis. Heaven does not destroy what God willed on earth; it simply perfects it by completing it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.