Are our marriage vows valid?

Ten years ago, with our priest’s permission (and not knowing any better), we mixed the two recommended forms of the marriage vows from the USCCB, rather than choosing only one of the forms. We are worried that this illicit act renders our vows invalid. Here is the final form of our vows: I, (name), take you, (name), for my lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life, until death do us part. Are our vows valid?

While it is illicit to change the wedding vows, their exact formula is not necessary for a valid sacrament. Otherwise anyone married outside the Catholic Church would not be validly married. Since you blended the two official versions of the vows and didn’t leave out anything essential to our understanding of marriage, there isn’t a question of intent. Therefore I would say yes, your marriage vows were valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.