Background: I grew up with cats, as my mother loved them (she would keep a few strays who showed up at our house). I grew to like them a little but I have always preferred dogs, and so does my wife, so we’ve had dogs all our married lives (mostly labs or lab mixes).
Pros of pet ownership for me:
- teaching them to do useful things and tricks.
- comedy show (watching both of them wrestle and play together and do goofy playful things
- console us and lower our blood pressure
- prevent loneliness when otherwise alone
Cons of pet ownership:
- Veterinary bills can be prohibitive on a tight budget. We once had to pay for an emergency surgery when one of our dogs had a twisted stomach, over $3000 US.
- pet food bills
- the emotional pain at having to put them to sleep when they age and die. I try not to become emotionally attached but inevitably do, and this hurts a tremendous amount sometimes.
- picking up the poop outside constantly
- lots of shedding of hair inside the house
In the end, I sometimes wonder if pet ownership is worth the hassle. What say you?