Are priests needed more in the US or the UK or Ireland?

Since I've been seriously contemplating the priesthood for about a year and a half now, this question arose, because I want to leave the US for somewhere in Europe.

If there is a high need of priests in the US, I'll stay here. But if they're more needed in the UK or Ireland, I could be a priest there, and get to live in Europe too.

Really, it's just a matter of where the need is though. So, where are priests needed the most: the US, UK, or Ireland?

(PS if they're really really needed in some non-English speaking European nation, I might consider that too!)

I'm almost shocked as an Irishman living in the UK but based on what I have been reading in this Forum and seeing some Youtube it could be Ireland . As QUALITY is more important than QUANTITY. :blush::blush::blush:

I think we need more Priests in the US but ive never been in Ireland or UK so i wouldnt really know with exact certainty. Ireland is a nation with many catholics so i dont think its ireland

I don't know about other countries, but the USA is in need of priests. I am from the Diocese of Sioux Falls in South Dakota, and we are very short. We have several missionary priests and are still closing some small churches. Most priests have 2-3 parishes unless they are in a larger town. The state is very rural and there is lots of driving between churches. My preist has 3 churches and he drives 25-30 miles between churches.

Please stay in the US! Please come to SD! I will be praying for you!

God will call you where he wants you- it isn't about where you feel you are most needed. There are ordinations in the diocese of Lincoln Nebraska every year, but they don't have a priest shortage (they've been fortunate enough to have outstanding bishops all along)- but God still calls men to be priests for that diocese.

[quote="Glorthac, post:1, topic:235675"]
Since I've been seriously contemplating the priesthood for about a year and a half now, this question arose, because I want to leave the US for somewhere in Europe.

If there is a high need of priests in the US, I'll stay here. But if they're more needed in the UK or Ireland, I could be a priest there, and get to live in Europe too.

Really, it's just a matter of where the need is though. So, where are priests needed the most: the US, UK, or Ireland?

(PS if they're really really needed in some non-English speaking European nation, I might consider that too!)

[/quote]

If your really looking for a Diocese in utter need of vocations try the Diocese of Fairbanks, AK: cbna.info/
I think they have 14 priests for 40,000+ Catholics....no seminarians in last 15+ years

OR

Diocese of Juneau, AK.
dioceseofjuneau.org/

OR

Archdiocese of Anchorage, AK.
archdioceseofanchorage.org/

Good Luck and God Bless!

[quote="beth40n2, post:4, topic:235675"]
I don't know about other countries, but the USA is in need of priests. I am from the Diocese of Sioux Falls in South Dakota, and we are very short. We have several missionary priests and are still closing some small churches. Most priests have 2-3 parishes unless they are in a larger town. The state is very rural and there is lots of driving between churches. My preist has 3 churches and he drives 25-30 miles between churches.

Please stay in the US! Please come to SD! I will be praying for you!

[/quote]

just checked out your Diocese's vocation page....you have 24 seminarians!!!! That's fairly good compared to the several Dioceses that have less than 10...some even have 0 (those in Alaska). God Bless!

If one compares the three nation, US, UK, & Ireland, then its Ireland that is most in need now...Their one & only seminary (Maynooth) is closing. The few they have will all go to Rome to study at the Irish College. The Irish College in Rome is filled w/men from other countries at the moment. Some will transfer so as to make room for the few Irish students.
Did you know that Ireland was once the nation w/the most missionaries? Every Irish family had sons & daughters in the Priesthood & Religious Life. They used to have more missionaries
round the globe than the US or Italy! Sadly, today Ireland itself is mission territory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.