Are Protestants saved?

I have been reading many posts and it would appear that most Catholics believe that I as a Protestant still am saved.
I don’t think that the Church actively teaches that I am not saved, but in the teachings of the past that it appears to not have changed I am outside of the church and am going to hell.
It appears as though the official teaching is that I and other protestants are anathemas.
I get this from the decrees of the Council of Trent. Many of my beliefs and what many of the Protestants I know believe, say that we are declared anathemas.
Why doesn’t the Catholic Church admit its error, or continue to teach what it has taught throughout history?

he Catholic Church makes claims about herself that are easily misunderstood, especially in the modern atmosphere of pluralism and ecumenism. Among these claims, the most fundamental is the doctrine of the Church’s necessity for salvation. Not unlike other dogmas of the faith, this one has seen some remarkable development, and the dogmatic progress has been especially marked since the definition of papal infallibility. It seems that as the Church further clarified her own identity as regards the papacy and collegiality, she also deepened (without changing) her self-understanding as the mediator of salvation to mankind.

ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ315.HTM

(worth reading whole article)

and

catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=4085

and Pope John XXIII

The Church has always opposed these errors, and often condemned them with the utmost severity. Today, however, Christ’s Bride prefers the balm of mercy to the arm of severity. She believes that, present needs are best served by explaining more fully the purport of her doctrines, rather than by publishing condemnations.

Pope John XXIII

catholic-forum.com/saints/pope0261i.htm

First of all, the Church doesn’t teach that anyone is saved or not saved including Catholics. “Once saved, always saved” is a Protestant innovation.

Secondly, the Church teaches today what she has always taught. Dominus Jesus reiterates the Church’s teaching on the subject.

Third, you seem to misuderstand the word anathema and to whom it applies. What is it you think this means?

The church teaches that you must convert to the Church to be saved–if your invincibly ignorant of the faith you can be saved–but only if you have no other mortal sins on your soul–DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS NON SENSE----PEOPLE WANT TO SUGAR COAT THE TRUTH–IF YOUR NOT A CATHOLIC YOUR MAY VERY WELL BE IN GRAVE DANGER OF ETERNAL DAMNATION–WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE TOTALITY OF CHURCH DOCUMNETS YOU WILL SEE THAT THIS THIS THE TEACHING OF THE CHURCH–EVEN THOUGH TODAY WE SEE CHURCH DOCUMENTS USING “NICER” LANGUAGE–IT STILL DOESNT MEAN THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GO TO HEAVEN–IN FACT IF I WERE YOU I’D BE VERY SCARED-HELL IS NO JOKE And if your a protestant you should come home–we will welcome you with open arms–AND THE ANGELS AND SAINTS IN HEAVEN WILL REJOICE–

I’m pretty sure, that the anathemas of the Council of Trent were directed to former Catholics, i.e. first-generation heretics, like Hymenaeus and Alexander (1 Timothy 1:19-20) who rejected conscience and made shipwreck their faith. The anathemas don’t apply to those who are born and brought up in heretical communities and are ignorant of the true faith, like Apollos who simply needed the way of God expounded to him more accurately. (Acts 18:24-26)

As for you, knowing that some of your beliefs have been condemned by the bishops of the Catholic Church, who succeed to the teaching authority of the Apostles, places you in a perilous position because you are no longer ignorant of the truth. How you respond to this knowledge may well determine your salvation. Remember what Jesus said,

And that servant who knew his master’s will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating. But he who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, shall receive a light beating. Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required; and of him to whom men commit much they will demand the more." (Luke 12:47-48)

[quote=niecea]The church teaches that you must convert to the Church to be saved–if your invincibly ignorant of the faith you can be saved–but only if you have no other mortal sins on your soul–DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS NON SENSE----PEOPLE WANT TO SUGAR COAT THE TRUTH–IF YOUR NOT A CATHOLIC YOUR MAY VERY WELL BE IN GRAVE DANGER OF ETERNAL DAMNATION–WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE TOTALITY OF CHURCH DOCUMNETS YOU WILL SEE THAT THIS THIS THE TEACHING OF THE CHURCH–EVEN THOUGH TODAY WE SEE CHURCH DOCUMENTS USING “NICER” LANGUAGE–IT STILL DOESNT MEAN THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GO TO HEAVEN–IN FACT IF I WERE YOU I’D BE VERY SCARED-HELL IS NO JOKE And if your a protestant you should come home–we will welcome you with open arms–AND THE ANGELS AND SAINTS IN HEAVEN WILL REJOICE–
[/quote]

marineboy,
it’s good to see you again - several of us have been praying for you to receive the gift of discernment. how are you? has God bestowed His peace on you?
lovingly,
RyanL

This what I understand in my search regarding this topic.

Vatican II in the 1960’s addressed the issue of those Christian bretheren that were not in union with the Church. Their response was that those who are in Christ, but not the Church cannot be accused of the sin of separation. The Church embraces other Christians as brothers meaning those that believe in Christ and are Baptized are considered to be in communion with the Church, though their beliefs and practices are imperfect. As long as those people live a life of grace they are not damned. It truly depends on state of their soul at the time of their death whether they go to heaven, purgatory or hell. Only those that realize the role of the RCC and refuse to enter or remain in it cannot be saved.

not true–its not only those who know the catholc faith is the true faith but also those who dont know it-p-but its their fault that theydont know it----of course only God knows their culpibilaty–but sorry you cant just dismiss it that easily–if one doesnt know and hardens his heart or doesnt seek the truth then they can be damned–ALL THE MORE IMPORTNAT FOR US CATHOLICS TO GO FORTH AND CONVERT ALL PEOPLE------AMNEN

[quote=ecclesia2]not true–its not only those who know the catholc faith is the true faith but also those who dont know it-p-but its their fault that theydont know it----of course only God knows their culpibilaty–but sorry you cant just dismiss it that easily–if one doesnt know and hardens his heart or doesnt seek the truth then they can be damned–ALL THE MORE IMPORTNAT FOR US CATHOLICS TO GO FORTH AND CONVERT ALL PEOPLE------AMNEN
[/quote]

Hi, Marineboy. Gosh, that didn’t take you long!

To get to the heart of the matter, it’s best to go to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, promulgated by our late and beloved Holy Father, Pope John Paul II. Here’s what it says:

**818 **“However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . ***All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”***272 **819 **"Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

**Who belongs to the Catholic Church? **

**836 **"All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God’s grace to salvation."320

**837 **"Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. ***Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but ‘in body’ not ‘in heart.’"321 (As an aside, I always think this is worth remembering).*****838 **"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist."324

agreed that you cant charge those who were born in those comminities–no problem–but it may be their fault for staying their “communities”----question should protestants convert to the catholic faith??if yes why–if noy y–please try to answer this question—

[quote=ecclesia2]agreed that you cant charge those who were born in those comminities–no problem–but it may be their fault for staying their “communities”----question should protestants convert to the catholic faith??if yes why–if noy y–please try to answer this question—
[/quote]

Why, let’s see what the Catechism says (promulgated late/beloved HF happy memory HHJPII): ***All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

bjcros,

You asked if Protestans are “saved”:.

1st, we are Catholics here, and we dont use the term “saved”.

2ed. Since you are a Protestant , may I tell you that you have come to the WRONG SITE to get a Protestant answer.

3rd. Did you come to this Catholic site to try to start something?

Lastly, you have come to a Catholic site to get a Protestant answer. Find some Protestant site.

the question is, which still hasnt been answered --do you agrree–yes or no–that Protestants run the risk of eternal damnation for not entering the Catholic faith?? its amazing how painful it is for people to answer this question with a simple yes or no answer–for me its simple its yes–but i am awaiting your answer–so please answer yes or no

There’s been so much going round & round & round, I’m not ever going to be able to put this all into words that make sense!!! :crying:

Can it be described in a nutshell? I have to see if I can put this into words…

1. There is no salvation outside the (Catholic) Church.

This is true because:

There is no salvation outside of Jesus Christ; and the Church cannot be separated from its spouse, its maker, its head. The Church is the “embodiment” of the Sacraments which impart the grace of God.

Protestants (thru valid baptism) are members of the Church (“brothers in the Lord”, “separated brethren”).

The gift of grace and truth (from Father, Son, and H.S.) are not confined to explicit means. These graces (whereever they are found) are also a non-visible expression of the graces found in the Church (see CCC section below).

This applies not only to those who are not baptised, but to Protestants who-- without becoming explicit, fully unified members-- may attain salvation thru the (Catholic) Church. This is why any and all (even if they’ve never heard of Jesus), may be saved.

OTOH, anyone (whether pagan or Prot or Cath) may refuse salvation (which only comes thru Jesus Christ and the Church) by personally rejecting whatever Truth and grace that they have received (thru explicit or implicit means).

Am I making sense?

819 Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church.]

OBJKECTIVELY SPEAKING PROTESTANTS R NOT MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH–BOTH PIUS IX AND PIUS XII AFFIRMED THIS–YOU PEOPLE TRY TO STRETCH IT OUT DONT YOU–PAT MADRID SAID IT THE BEST–“MANY OF YOU RUN THE RISK OF GOING TO HELL FOR NOT ENTERING THE CATHOILC FAITH.” IN HIS DEBATE WITH JAMES WHITE ON SOLA scriptura

grow up

[quote=truthwarrior1]OBJKECTIVELY SPEAKING PROTESTANTS R NOT MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH–BOTH PIUS IX AND PIUS XII AFFIRMED THIS–YOU PEOPLE TRY TO STRETCH IT OUT DONT YOU–PAT MADRID SAID IT THE BEST–“MANY OF YOU RUN THE RISK OF GOING TO HELL FOR NOT ENTERING THE CATHOILC FAITH.” IN HIS DEBATE WITH JAMES WHITE ON SOLA scriptura
[/quote]

**818 **“However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . ***All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”***272 **819 **"Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

**Who belongs to the Catholic Church? **

**836 **"All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God’s grace to salvation."320

**837 **"Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. ***Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but ‘in body’ not ‘in heart.’"321 (As an aside, I always think this is worth remembering).*****838 **"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist."324

[quote=Exporter]bjcros,

You asked if Protestans are “saved”:.

1st, we are Catholics here, and we dont use the term “saved”.

[/quote]

This isn’t true. The term “saved” is used repeatedly in the Catechism.

could someone other than marineboy answer my quest before this thread is closed?

[quote=shannon e]could someone other than marineboy answer my quest before this thread is closed?
[/quote]

It is important, Shannon, to remember that the fullness of Truth is found in the Catholic Church alone. All other churches/ecclesial communities are deficient. They are joined to the Church in a certain, but imperfect, union.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.