Are retreats worthwhile?

I think it depends on the retreat, and how receptive you are.

I did Christ Renews His Parish for awhile, and it was a great, thought transitory, experience for me. I’d recommend it to anyone; with the caveat that what was worthwhile was the fellowship of being on a team to plan the next retreat. If it was just the retreat itself it wouldn’t move the needle much.

:smile::grinning::laughing::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

In some regions besides offering overnight “residential” retreats they also offer non-residential weekend retreats where the couples go home after the all-day session and return to the retreat the next morning. It might be easier for your husband to attend one of these non–residential retreats.

1 Like

They may not work for you but what you state you want from a retreat

is what happens, at least at Cursillo.

I’ve been on Charismatic retreats, they are not for me. I’ve been on a silent retreat will go again this year. I’ve done many one day retreats with various themes.

It sounds as though you want a private retreat:

https://bustedhalo.com/ministry-resources/plan-personal-spiritual-retreat

All you need to do is make the commitment to do it. Struggling with which retreat to do, what happens in a retreat, what is the structure, will I get a schedule, is basically procrastination. Don’t worry about which retreat house or which spirituality the order is. Many monasteries offer rooms for retreatents. You could even rent a hotel room in a city near a church you like and do a personal retreat that way. God is calling you to do a retreat, respond to his call and do one. Trust God to have your best interest in mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.