Are secularists using Satan to drive religion out of public schools? [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Classroom_Credit_P_Chinnapong_via_wwwshutterstockcom_CNA.jpgWashington D.C., Aug 5, 2016 / 03:07 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- As activists push “After School Satan” programs for elementary school students, it is likely an underhanded tactic to remove all religious programs from public schools, one lawyer says.

“What they’re trying to do, I think, is scare people into saying ‘let’s shut down the forum’,” Jordan Lorence, senior counsel for the legal group Alliance Defending Freedom, told CNA. “And they would eliminate all of these Bible clubs, prayer meetings, ‘Good News Clubs’ that are meeting all around the country.”

The Satanic Temple – a group dedicated to promoting rationalism, individual liberty, and secularism – has announced its plans to establish “After School Satan” in several U.S. public school districts.

In a fundraising pitch on its website, the temple claims that “Fundamentalist Christian organizations are trying to turn public schools into indoctrination camps for children” and are “successfully eroding the separation of Church and State.”

If allowed at schools, rather than teach children Satanism, the Satan clubs would probably talk about atheism and how “science answers all questions,” Lawrence said. Their adaptation of Satanic imagery and language “is just to scare people into thinking that these are actual Satan worshippers,” he added.

“What I think is disingenuous and tragic is that they’re really using all these Satan names for their organization, their lead guy, these after-school clubs, to scare school officials into shutting down the forum for everyone.”

The Satanic Temple stated it will be “leveraging Religious Freedom laws established by decades of Evangelical litigation” to insert its curricula into schools.

Spokesman Lucien Greaves stated that “we are sure that the school districts we’ve approached are well aware that they are not at liberty to deny us use of their facilities, nor are they at liberty to deny us any level of representation in the schools that they afford to other school clubs.”

“We would like to thank the Liberty Counsel, specifically, for opening the doors of public schools to the After School Satan Club through their dedication to religious liberty,” he continued.
Full article…

Naw, Satan not needed. The ACLU has it covered.

Yep, it’s a clever ploy on their part that will work since the Liberty Council has already indicated they intend to fight the Satanic Temple. And it’s a fight they’ll lose on 1st Amendment Grounds.

:hmmm: - I don’t KNOW … but …

*It’s a short drive by now!

And “religion” can then visit “prayer” and “the Bible” which took an earlier bus. *

In two landmark decisions – Engel v. Vitale on June 25, 1962, and Abington School District v. Schempp on June 17, 1963 – the Supreme Court declared school-sponsored prayer and Bible readings unconstitutional

This is one of the reasons I oppose prayer or anything else religious in public schools. The radicalism of courts nowadays leaves such things open for Satanists and other things.

Long ago, when I was one of the few Catholics in a public school full of protestants, mainline Protestantism was practically the state religion. We had readings from the King James in “home room” and protestant preachers at assemblies. Assemblies often closed with some protestant hymn or prayer or whatever. The schedules of events for the Masonic DeMolay and Order of Rainbow for girls were announced over the speakers.

But perhaps interestingly, I didn’t mind it. I really didn’t. Well, it was a bit clumsy at times because I didn’t know the words to the hymns and didn’t want to sing them anyway. I didn’t mind it because it was, after all, Christian of a sort, rather generic and staid, and not grotesque.

Also of interest, the Fundamentalists were just as out of the mainstream as I was. Kind of funny that I knew their songs because I heard them on the radio and in the strawberry and tomato patches. But the mainline ones, I didn’t, though I did rather like the sound of some of them.

But Satanists (and for that matter Islamic) goings-on. No. And if the Evangelicals want their prayers and such in the public schools, they’re not going to be able to prevent Satanism, Wicca, Gaia worship, Islam and all sorts of things from being pushed on their children.

So, while I didn’t mind the mainliners and had no opposition to prayer in school then, I sure do now.

I am not sure that the Satanic Temple necessarily has a winning argument. They are not a religion, but a philosophy of life.

[quote=Washington Post]But the group’s plan for public schoolchildren isn’t actually about promoting worship of the devil. The Satanic Temple doesn’t espouse a belief in the existence of a supernatural being that other religions identify solemnly as Satan, or Lucifer, or Beelzebub. The Temple rejects all forms of supernaturalism and is committed to the view that scientific rationality provides the best measure of reality.

According to Mesner, who goes by the professional name of Lucien Greaves, “Satan” is just a “metaphorical construct” intended to represent the rejection of all forms of tyranny over the human mind.
[/quote]

washingtonpost.com/local/education/an-after-school-satan-club-could-be-coming-to-your-kids-elementary-school/2016/07/30/63f485e6-5427-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

Calling their organization “The Satanic Temple” is simply a way of attracting attention and getting people riled up. It has nothing to do with the Christian devil or Satan or :Lucifer etc.

They’ll argue they are a religion as they do have a set of beliefs and rituals they can point to. That’s typically all it takes.

Parents will need to step up and PARENT on this one!

I say again, i think we really need to re-assess our acceptance of the philosophy of secular equality which ends up forcing the creation and maintenance of mandatory, tax payer funded godless institutions.

Blindly and against reason we are asked to accept this philosophy is neutral and good. It is not.

The thing I don’t get is why Religion[sup]TM[/sup] is the only topic that has to be suppressed and censored.

Why is sexuality ok but spirituality not?

Why is it OK to teach ‘ethics’ in schools but not if those ethics derive from a transcendent, objective, higher origin? What’s so wrong with thinking about God? We can talk about anything else we want. :shrug:

Surely there’s something wrong when secularists (aka atheists) can openly take one side of the abortion debate, yet the biblical theists who have good reason to think life is sacred (because God) find themselves gagged and cannot freely express their ethical framework on campus.

This is the official narrative.

I mean this with all due respect, but one would have to be incredibly naive to actually buy the idea that folks like Anton LaVey or any other “atheistic” satanic group are, in essence, utterly bereft of a supernatural outlook on life. Maybe that’s what they say to sell the group to outsiders and to celebrities and to the media and to kids, but that’s not what they’re really about in the long-run.

The first step is to accept satan as an archetype, but that’s a first step, and the folks who are assuming it’s the only step are simply useful idiots.

=Lion IRC;14092390]The thing I don’t get is why Religion[sup]TM[/sup] is the only topic that has to be suppressed and censored.

Why is sexuality ok but spirituality not?

Because religion is supposedly “boring” and sexuality is supposed to be fun and makes people feel good inside.

And by “religion” it really means straight white male Christians who vote conservative. The end all be all to much of this is the election of liberals.

Why is it OK to teach ‘ethics’ in schools but not if those ethics derive from a transcendent, objective, higher origin? What’s so wrong with thinking about God? We can talk about anything else we want. :shrug:

Because someone may have a hurt feeling or be exposed to a different POV, namely one from a conservative, straight white Christian male. And no one should have to endure that “oppression,” :rolleyes: even with safe spaces.

Surely there’s something wrong when secularists (aka atheists) can openly take one side of the abortion debate, yet the biblical theists who have good reason to think life is sacred (because God) find themselves gagged and cannot freely express their ethical framework on campus.

Yes: the side against life is worried that it cannot win on an even playing field. And they would be correct.

SuperLuigi nails it. (Again) :thumbsup:

A neat and passionate summing up. thank you…

Here in Ireland we are in the throes of change. After centuries of Catholic schools with a sprinkling of Anglican and Quaker etc, there is now a sizable rebellion .

But instead of sheerly secular education, leaving Catholic teaching to after school, we are getting a range of groups who each have their own agenda, always against RC Educate Together does not leave "religious teaching"aside but teaches a mishmash of world religous cuture, as opposed to faith, Now we also have Education Equality, and Atheist Ireland are wading in demanding all religious symbols etc are to be outlawed. In addtion we are seeing an incursion by infant schools eg Steiner

We do have CEIST thankfully.

My landlord and I have talked a lot of this.He has 4 small children and is fighting to keep the tiny rural school they attend open.

The problem here is not the outlawing of all religious education but the deliberate anti Catholic bent, And replacing sound teaching with ???

Teaching little ones the faith at home is one thing. trying to counter other teaching is quite another.

If this craziness is allowed, should we have to pay taxes for an agenda that violates our beliefs?

If I had children, I would do anything in my power to home-school or send them to a good Catholic school.

It’s the other way around…Satan is using secularists. The ACLU is Satan’s law firm after all!:slight_smile: Question: Why are our tax dollars funneled to the ACLU when they clearly only support the satanical?

Assuming this wasn’t sarcasm…

Not only does the ACLU not receive any government funding, donations made to it aren’t even tax deductible. In addition, see this list for dozens of examples of the ACLU defending the religious rights of Christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.