Are sins not "confessed" in confession forgiven?

I just went to confession about a month ago and go yearly at best. 3 years ago after the birth of our daughter, I had a tubal ligation. I had the procedure after two difficult, complicated pregnancy and after finding out that I had reproductive issues with my fallopian tubes and a misshaped uterus that made it unlikely that I would have conceived at all. But I did, twice. I had the ligation because any future pregnancy at my age and condition could be dangerous to me and any baby. I haven’t spoken about this in confession since but it is on my mind and in my heart when I go. Is this sin absolved or do I need to address it specifically to my priest expaining the circumstances?

Hi,

Any forgotten sin is automatically forgiven in Confession. But to deliberately not mention a mortal sin is a sin in itself. Such an act renders the whole Confession invalid. I don’t know how knowledgeable you were about why the Church considers such procedures to be immoral, but I think it would be best for you to repeat your last Confession along with what you held back. How fortunate we are that through this sacrament He makes us whole, no matter how we have offended Him–as we all do…

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.