Are sins that affect others more serious or offensive?

Gossiping, Yelling at Others, Blaming Others, Lying to Others. What if your sins seems to benefit or progress you? Cheating others, failure to give money to poor. Sometimes it is difficult for me to honestly believe we will render an account for our sins. Some sins do not hurt the “doer” at all. Being impatient with others. Harsh to the weak or elderly.

If I steal a dollar from a rich man… it is still the sin of theft, and in my mind a violation of the commandments, thus mortal, and yet, when compared to the same act of theft from a poor man, wherein his entire life savings may be that dollar, the sin is greatly multiplied due to the greater harm caused… the theft from the rich man may not be noted and yet the poor man may die because he couldn’t purchase any food- thus you may have committed an act of manslaughter; thus, doubling the sin.

Gossip, kills the person’s reputation… in that aspect then gossip is a form of murder.
Same with bearing false witness against a person… and such could lead to loss of life, income, family… by ones act the other is gravely harmed. If done with intent and knowledge, this is potentially a mortal sin.

Being unduly harsh with those less fortunate… let me remind you of our Lords own words:
From Gospel of Mathew:34Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in: 36Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. 37Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? 39Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? 40And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me"
**. **
No, you may not of hurt yourself, but you hurt our Lord just as surely as if you had driven the spikes into his hands and feet by your own hand “Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me

Never you fear, there will be an accounting of your (of all of our sins for I am a sinner too and will have my own account to settle, Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief. ) sins in heaven… even those you seek to hide from our Lord’s eyes, for he does not look upon us with the eyes of man, no he sees the true nature of our hearts - our soul.

All sin harms others. All sin. Even personal sin like masturbation. It harms others.

We are the Body of Christ. IF I harm me, I harm you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.