Are some churches gambling with people's souls?

Would you say that some churches are gambling with the souls of their parishioners/members? My mom is contemplating returning to her church because the pastor’s wife, whom she was once friends with, said something very offensive to her during one of their usually friendly conversations.

Basically their church believes women cannot wear pants, should not wear jewelry or make up, wear a hat on their heads at all times (not just at church) and must have a skirt that reaches their ankles. If I wear a skirt it is always at my knee or a little lower when I sit and I was told that was too short and I don’t can’t wear dress pants so I was stuck. I mean I wear skirts occasionally (Like during Easter) but most of the time I prefer pants especially in winter or if it is raining. Anyways basically the pastor’s wife said that women who get raped deserve it and its their fault because they were dressed in a way that invites men to do so.

My mom was offended because someone in her life got raped in their own home and I am offended because a friend of mine was raped. But the idea that that is what they teach in their church disturbs me a lot more because I believe that is ignorant and I can’t say Jesus would put his seal off approval. It is almost as if they would mock someone for dressing a certain way. And that makes me wonder if they see me that way too because I have visited their church a few times and I think I wore a skirt only once.

Would you agree that certain churches are gambling with people’s souls? I feel that I should start praying for other Christians to find their way to God because there are many churches that teach cruel things like this and judge people on their appearance. That being said no I don’t think it is acceptable to dress in a revealing way especially at church but I think it is worse to judge people and tell them they deserve to be attacked by men for their choice in clothing. I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

Many so-called churches go beyond gambling - some go to outright ignoring the fate of their adherent’s souls.

Many ignore the command in the Gospels to reenact the Last Supper, let alone the Pauline belief in the participation in the Last Supper itself via the Eucharistic Liturgy.

Many teach a “Prosperity Gospel” - ignoring the bit about a Rich man already having gotten his reward. (Luke 6:24.) Their preachers, at least, are in for a world of shock come judgement day. (Especially the ones who do it mostly for the money.)

Such groups essentially have become pagans.

Not that all pagans go to hell, even - but the issue is one of not having the essential character of Following Christ.

Sounds like a very legalistic church. What kind of church is it?

“The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests and bishops” - St. John Chrysostom (d. 409)

I want to say Pentecostal/Apostolic Church since those are the churches my mom usually goes to

And who can forget the classic Matthew 7:15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves”

It is so sad to me though how spiteful she was. As if because she is a “Christian,” and I use that word very loosely, she believes that she is better than everyone else and because of how she acts and dresses she doesn’t deserve any harm to come to her. Sadly it is not just one church that shares this belief they do have other sister churches that are larger and share the same belief system. And very many people believe this to be true and are judgmental about how you dress.

I mean its not just their celebration, if at all any, is corrupt, but their way of thinking has poisoned the people that go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.