Are some of my beliefs wrong?

I have some beliefs I mean to talk about, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. I want to know if any of you have similar beliefs or directly go against teachings of Christianity.

1. Possible reincarnation- This is a hypothetical question: if we have free will in Heaven, then could someone desire to become a human again? Likely few people, if any, would go back, so is this possible? Or will we only find out when we get there?
  2. Is it wrong to believe that saying the Rosary or Hail Mary is wrong? I do not want to violate the First Commandment, so they get me worried.
  3. The Church needs to have children’s programs outside CCD in order to attract children to the faith. I know some Protestants who have youth group activities.
  4. Is it wrong to believe in Marian sightings that have not been approved by the church (ie Our Lady of La Vang)
  5. Is it wrong to believe that Heaven is individual for each person? Are there different conditions for each person’s desires?
  6. Is it wrong to believe that God and, unfortunately, Satan can communicate with us in dreams?

Thank you for responding to the laundry list of things. I wish you a merry Christmas!

This is flat out wrong. there is no reincarnation in Catholic theology, only the Ressurrection at the last day.

1. Is it wrong to believe that saying the Rosary or Hail Mary is wrong? I do not want to violate the First Commandment, so they get me worried.

The Rosary was given to us by Our Lady and the church, and the Hail Mary is straight out of the New Testament. The Church would not, could not, approve devotions that were meant to violate God’s commandments or bring spiritual harm. Praying for the intercession of Mary or the Saints is by no means a violation of the First Commandment. Mary is not God. St. Jude is not God. Nor for that matter is Fr. O’Brien at your local parish who you may have asked to pray for you about something. Because that is exactly what we do when we pray the Hail Mary. We are not saying “we worship you, O great and powerful Mary” when we pray the Rosary, nor would she ever she wish us to. Instead we ask that she, a creature like us, intercede for us to God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

1. The Church needs to have children’s programs outside CCD in order to attract children to the faith. I know some Protestants who have youth group activities.

This is a perfectly fine matter of opinion, and there is no “right” or “wrong”. I kinda-sorta disagree, only as IMO if we start aping what Protestants are doing, that could be a slippery slope, and I’d rather have activities, if going that route, that both entertain and teach solid catechesis, something we Catholics seem not to have grasped really well yet. On the one extreme, you have “teen masses” that try to be “hip” and “relevant” and water down the Mass, and on the other direction you have EWTN’s rather ham-fisted attempts at children’s programming, which while definitely faithful, are so eye-gougingly ugly in their execution (animation, acting, etc.) that no sane parent would want to watch them with their kids…

1. Is it wrong to believe in Marian sightings that have not been approved by the church (ie Our Lady of La Vang)

The answer is “it depends.” There has been a long debate about the veracity of one such apparition, at a place in the former Yugoslavia that to avoid problems I shall not name, and so while not “wrong”, neither is the Church going to encourage it overmuch until a thorough investigation has happened. I’ve not heard of Our Lady of La Vang, so I can’t really say anything about that one.

1. Is it wrong to believe that Heaven is individual for each person? Are there different conditions for each person’s desires?

I’m not a theologian, but this sounds highly suspect. I doubt that God has a Heaven for each and every one of us. He might, but why He would makes no sense, especially as at the end, Heaven and Earth will become one anyway IINM.

1. Is it wrong to believe that God and, unfortunately, Satan can communicate with us in dreams?

We know God and the angels can. St. Joseph received two such dreams concerning the infant Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew. As for Satan – I don’t know and I hope sincerely I never get inflicted with the opportunity to find out! :smiley:

You can believe in anything you want as long as it has scriptural foundation and authorization of the Church. The rosary is a private prayer and disapline where we are giving homage to the Mother of Christ and asking her to PRAY for us. not praying to her as if she were God-'though she was indeed a Godly woman.
As for reincarnation-if you are blessed to enter the gates of heaven-wouldn’t that be enough? How would anyone want more?
DON’T TELL ANYONE-I CAN’T SPELL.:smiley:

no, yes, yes, yes, yes, no.:stuck_out_tongue:

I will go with believing Our Lady of La Vang is a Traditionally Approved Apparition, we have already been through that.

miraclehunter.com/marian_apparitions/approved_apparitions/traditional.html

Hebrews 9:27
Just as people are destined to die** once**, and after that to face judgment,

Just as an FYI: Youth groups in the Catholic church ARE vessels for Catechesis.
We make them interesting to help illustrate the points being taught, But they are not just pizza and games. In fact, we rarely serve anything. Our high school group did over 2000 hours of community service last year. And they prepped for Confirmation, and they did the Living Stations, and they tutored the younger children…etc etc.

Reincarnation is not compatible with the faith. One may not hold the position that people are reincarnated.

One may not hold the position that the Rosary or the Hail Mary are contrary to the faith.

Scrupulous thoughts and tendencies are best handled under the direction of your pastor.

If you don’t believe the spiritual needs of young people in your parish are being met, talk to your pastor about that.

Depends on what you mean by “believe in”. We are to be obedient to the authority of the Church. If the Church has declared something not of supernatural origin, we may not involve ourselves in such things. If the Church has approved then we may. In cases where the Church has not yet ruled one way or another, we should be cautious.

“Heaven” is the beatific vision. It is direct contact with God. The Body of Christ consists of ALL those in the Beatific Vision as well as the Church Militant. In heaven, we worship corporately, so no we will not be in an “individual heaven”.

And, Heaven is not about our “desires”.

If one is experiencing what one believes to be supernatural phenomenon-- one needs to go see one’s priest and ask for help in discernment.

Hello Kid.

Yes, some of your thoughts need a little work. You are a work in progress and God isn’t done with you yet. It is obvious that you haven’t quite got all the facts regarding your faith. You need some education and some prayer. Hang in there. You’ll find out what you don’t know by coming here and if you are sincerely trying to repair or fill in the parts you don’t quite get yet, then in time you will be able to shout from the roof tops, “Lord, I do believe!” with the rest of us. Hang in there and ask more questions.

Just because you thought something strange doesn’t mean you* believe* something strange. Everyone who takes their faith seriously thinks strange things from time to time.

Glenda

There is the truth , and then there is our own individual interpretation of that truth,
I think we should poke and prod and Question, it’s a healthy Church if people can Question

Reincarnation is against the Catholic faith. Scripture makes that abundantly clear.

But let’s say that this part of scripture was not there.

I’d be asking these questions:

If someone offered you twenty million dollars cash, why would you want to give that up for five dollars cash?

If someone offered you a CEO job, why would you give that up and get a hamburger flipping job?

You’d have to be INSANE to make the second choice.

Yeah, you would have free will. But you would never choose to make it, because it would be completely irrational and insane to do it.

And insanity is not possible in heaven, you’re completely healed of anything you had on earth.

If you’re in heaven, you’re with God and you have like the maximum possible happiness you’d ever have. WHY would anyone WANT to leave that?

1. It is wrong.We believe only in the Resurrection. But honestly, I like the idea…I believe I was a Japanese monk in my past life lol.:smiley:
  2. The rosary is very powerful (based on experience), but it is not an imperative to say one.
  3. Yes, I believe in the authority of the Church…even if they were really real, we couldn’t claim to be experts.
  4. I do believe the Devil can come to us through dreams
  1. yes, that is a heresy.
  2. Yes, believing it is WRONG is against the infallible teaching of Jesus through the Church. Not being comfortable with it or not saying it is not a sin however. I know many people who do not say the hail Mary. But if you think it is wrong, not only are you saying the Church is wrong in teaching it, but you are in effect saying the scriptures are wrong as well. Because that is where the prayer comes from.
  3. I absolutely agree with this one.
  4. This is dicey. If the jury is still our so to speak one could possible “believe” it. However, one should not follow the vision out of the guidance of the Church. If the Church condemns it, then one should leave it alone because it cannot be Holy.
  5. hmmm. Well that might go against the “Communion of Saints” Which is one of our core beliefs.
  6. No that is not wrong to believe. it is quite biblical. Read Daniel.

At least you came here and asked. Submitting your thoughts to the Church is one of the first steps on the road to holiness. For my part, I was once sympathetic to the skoptsy. shudder I just couldn’t fathom how sexuality could be compatible with holiness. Well. That’s why the Church is there to guide us.

“There is a way that seems good to a man, but its end is the way of death.”
“There was no king in Israel in those days; each man did what was right in his own eyes.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.