Are some professional sports sinful?

In most sports there is a high risk of injury. In association football(which i’m a fan of), there can be numerous injuries in your career. So is it a sin to be a footballer for example, knowing that you will almost certainly get some injuries including big ones?

Having a mortal body, there is no way to avoid all physical hazards, and the Church does not require us to.

Even if you lie in bed to avoid physical injury, you’d get blood clots in your limbs.

So no, provided one treats his own body and those of others with respect, participation in hazardous activities including pro sports would not be sinful.

ICXC NIKA.

The Church has not said so, that I know of, nor does the bible condemn competitive sports.

That being said, I believe that taking extreme risk just for a thrill may be sinful, especially if the risk-taker has loved ones who depend on him for love and financial support. Taking extreme risk without a just reason may constitute a reckless disregard for one’s own life and one’s family. That IMHO would be sinful.

Most if not all professional sports do not involve extreme or unreasonable risks, and are closely regulated to protect the players.

Paul

The only sinful sport I can think of is lingerie american football :smiley:

In the last few years in American football, high profile suicides and deaths have brought much closer medical attention to the frequency and types of injuries inflicted on the field. If there were a serious risk of death or illnesses that would impair judgment, I think the Church would begin to counsel a degree of prudence that didn’t seem necessary before; if the injuries involve inconveniences or pain, it would probably be left to individual judgment.

What certainly is sinful is the sort of anger or even hatred that sports can generate, and I know that there was a time in my life when my involvement as a fan surpassed simply rooting for my team and involved wishing (not actively doing) injury or harm to the opposing team. Those sins are much more common in the stands than they are on the field.

“Moralists generally have doubted the morality of professional boxing, of the bull-fighting popular in Hispanic culture, of speed racing, and of various kinds of stunting in which there is serious risk of death or grave bodily injury.”

~ Fr. Benedict Ashley OP

pg 306 “Living the Truth in Love, a Biblical introduction to Moral Theology” 1996 Alba House

(Fr. Benedict Ashley was professor of Theology at the Aquinas Institute of Theology, highly respected author of several text and countless articles on moral theology. A consultant for the Committee on Doctrine of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and a senior fellow of the Pope John Center of Medical Ethics. He was honored with the Pro Ecclesia medal from Bl. Pope John Paul II)

You could apply that kind of thinking to a lot of things, flying in an airplane, driving a car all involved risk. All but a handful of sports involve some kind of physical risk of injury but just because one participate in it or even enjoys watching them doesn’t mean it is sinful because there might be a level of risk. Unless the sport involves direct death of the opponent as an end, I can hardly think of sports in general as sinful.

well put

The way you say “footballer” leads me to believe that you mean the football that I would call soccer and not the football that I would call football.It is my understanding that many soccer injuries are either faked or wildly exaggerated. “Oh no, that guy tapped me! I will never walk again!!! What’s that? The ref’s not calling a foul? Nevermind, I’m okay.” Faking injuries is dishonest and therefore somewhat sinful, but it is not sinful to play a sport that has fake injuries.

When I was a child and went to the circus with my parents I could not understand whysome tight rope walkers did not use a net. Thankfully, I had never seen an accident occur, but I had heard that the Wallenda family had experienced deaths in their families because of not using a net.

That is not right that to thrill an audience they would not use a net.

It would be just as thrilling to see their skills displayed with a net under them to keep them safe.

I know that tight rope walking is not a sport, but an entertainment. Sports are entertainment also.

Be rest assured, no one is “faking” injuries. Where in the world did you get that so call “understanding”. My daughter plays competitive soccer and trust me, I’ve watched a lot of it and there is no way anyone “faking” injuries in that sport or any other. Please stick to facts an not made up fantacies in peoples heads that are not true at all. BTW, my other son did ripe his meniscus and ACL playing soccer and that was not faked at all.

Why would I think that soccer players fake injuries? Hmm. Well:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_%28association_football%29
wikihow.com/Fake-an-Injury-While-Playing-Soccer
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130520202445AADE
youtube.com/watch?v=Ppt7NdIj_yg (music’s not all that great, but that isn’t the point.)

“Fake soccer injuries” yields 2.8 million Google results. I’m sorry that your kid had a real injury, but that does not mean that people faking injuries while playing soccer is something that I made up out of the blue. It happens!

“Moralists generally have doubted the morality of professional boxing, of the bull-fighting popular in Hispanic culture, of speed racing, and of various kinds of stunting in which there is serious risk of death or grave bodily injury.”

~ Fr. Benedict Ashley OP

pg 306 “Living the Truth in Love, a Biblical introduction to Moral Theology” 1996 Alba House

(Fr. Benedict Ashley was professor of Theology at the Aquinas Institute of Theology, highly respected author of several text and countless articles on moral theology. A consultant for the Committee on Doctrine of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and a senior fellow of the Pope John Center of Medical Ethics. He was honored with the Pro Ecclesia medal from Bl. Pope John Paul II)

I fully agree with you.

Definitely NOT!

Since when is getting injured a sin?

Exactly my line of thinking. Thank you. You’re not purposefully hurting yourself, so I see nothing wrong with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.