Are "spirit guides" Guardian Angels?

While I have been in college recently, I went to a Catholic retreat from a public university when I was an officer in the Catholic Campus Ministries. One of the sessions involved a guy who said he could help people get into touch with their guardian angels. Everyone was supposed to be in a circle, with a candle in the center and they were supposed to focus on making a traingle with their fingers to concentrate on the unity and strength of the shape (which they tried to link to the Trinity). The leader who wanted to do this said he had learned from a Native American friend to get in touch with spirit guides which he equated with guardian angels. As one of the retreat leaders, I flatly refused to be involved in the session citing the grave danger of calling spirit guides guardian angels., but I was outvoted 9-1 against barring the topic. Does anyone have thoughts on whether spirit guides are guardian angels??? If not, how would you address the the session??? Thanks and God Bless.

I don’t know how to advise you, but I believe that you did exactly the right thing. I worry about all the new agey stuff that is doing the rounds. You could be in touch with anything.

I think, if you want to get in touch with your guardian angel, the thing to do is to** pray** !!

[quote=slinky1882]. Does anyone have thoughts on whether spirit guides are guardian angels??? If not, how would you address the the session??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

the ritual you describe will conjure up only evil spirits, that is fallen angels, or demons. There is no way to compel God, the saints or angels to manifest themselves or to act in our behalf. God acts, directly or through the angels, his messengers, at his will, not ours. Prayers are efficacious because they dispose us to hear God’s voice, recognize and accept his will, not because they cause him to “change his mind”.

[quote=slinky1882]While I have been in college recently, I went to a Catholic retreat from a public university when I was an officer in the Catholic Campus Ministries. One of the sessions involved a guy who said he could help people get into touch with their guardian angels. Everyone was supposed to be in a circle, with a candle in the center and they were supposed to focus on making a traingle with their fingers to concentrate on the unity and strength of the shape (which they tried to link to the Trinity). The leader who wanted to do this said he had learned from a Native American friend to get in touch with spirit guides which he equated with guardian angels. As one of the retreat leaders, I flatly refused to be involved in the session citing the grave danger of calling spirit guides guardian angels., but I was outvoted 9-1 against barring the topic. Does anyone have thoughts on whether spirit guides are guardian angels??? If not, how would you address the the session??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

How would I address the session? I would contact the Bishop! This is nothing more than a seance!

I would, also, never again attend a retreat or any other religious meeting, happening, or whatever, held by the people who authorized this sinful foolishness!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.