Are Stay at Home Moms "Letting Down the Team?"

albertmohler.com/commentary_print.php?cdate=2006-02-24

For some reason that link didn’t work for me.

[quote=luvmykids]For some reason that link didn’t work for me.
[/quote]

Try it again, I had a typo in it the first time.

featuring the arguments of Linda Hirshman, a prominent feminist thinker.

'Nuff said, it’s garbage!

Lisa

This is stunning stuff. In Hirshman’s view, a woman’s choice to deploy her “capacities for speech and reason” as a mother is not prudent or acceptable. Beyond this, she seems to demonstrate an inherent dislike for children in general, and infants in particular. She accuses stay at home moms of “bearing most of the burden of the work always associated with the lowest caste.” She identifies these tasks as “sweeping and cleaning bodily waste,” and condemned mothers who were described in a press account as “vigilantly watching their babies for signs of excretion 24-7” as “untouchables” by choice.

Thus, when she argues that stay at home moms are “letting down the team,” she means to shame young women out of motherhood and back into the workplace. At the very least, she argues that mothers should have only one baby so that they can return to the workplace in short order.

Hmmm… sweeping bodily waste??? SWEEPING? I don’t want to know where that feminist goes to the bathroom :smiley:

One-child-per-family policy = negative population growth = problems and great decline in the nation. Why do “feminists” insist on ignoring this tried and tested conclusion? It’s been proven again and again all over the world that negative population growth is disastrous for a country. Oh well, luckily it seems as though our educated men and women are choosing to keep moms with their babies more and more :slight_smile:

[quote=CatholicSam]Oh well, luckily it seems as though our educated men and women are choosing to keep moms with their babies more and more :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Amen to that!

Lisa

"She accuses stay at home moms of “bearing most of the burden of the work always associated with the lowest caste.”

So who does she suggest should clean my bathroom? Should I hire a maid? What about that poor woman who has to "sweep and clean bodily waste’? Ah, wait. . . only intelligent women shouldn’t be doing that. I thought feminism was about equality :whacky:.

By the way, my DH cleans the bathroom as much as I do and he almost has a PhD!

I was just going to say that…‘Who is going to sweep out the bodily waste then?’ Weird woman :rolleyes:

Anna x

It’s easy to see that this brand of feminism is incredibly materialistic. Self-centered, hungry for power…

They come right out and admit that they think someone’s self-worth should be determined by how much they make and how impressive their careers are to others. Ironic that this type always values the things they criticize men for wanting.

Peace.
John

Good question.

I’m one of those who would anger her: a master’s degree, 9 children, and I work only pt in the afternoons when my husband is with them. We made the decision before our first was born that they are ours, and therefore raising them is our responsibility… and privilege… not a daycare’s.

[quote=8isgr8]Good question.

I’m one of those who would anger her: a master’s degree, 9 children, and I work only pt in the afternoons when my husband is with them. We made the decision before our first was born that they are ours, and therefore raising them is our responsibility… and privilege… not a daycare’s.
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

We are guilty of contributing to the trend as well. My wife is a stay at home mom (Domestic engineer :smiley: ) She has a BA and speaks 2 languages. We figured if we are going to have children then we should raise them and not let a daycare provider do the socialization and child rearing for us.

These types of articles always annoy the dickens out of me for their simple lack of common sense and logic.

Guess they think , being a SAHM, I’m to stupid to catch such things?

So let me get this straight:

If I worked in a school - I would have the noble and dignified profession of teacher.

If I worked in a hospital or nursing home - I would have the noble and sacrificing job of nurse/dr.

If I worked for a financial consulting company - I would be contributing to the economic growth of society.

If I worked in daycare - I would be a patient and caring person doing a service for women everywhere.

It’s great to be paid to do these things for other people. (And I do think that, btw.)

BUT if I dare to do any of those jobs for my own children and spouse - I’m ignorant, selfish, and generally a parasite on society, and a hazard to working women everywhere?! That’s just nonsense.

The lady is a fool with a twisted, sick view of what a loving relationship really is. She is to be pitied.

My situation is a little different – I’m a stay at home dad. Arguments against stay-at-home parenting just become silly when I look at how my own kids have thrived since we started doing this.

i love this line:

“I am saying an educated, competent adult’s place is in the office,” Hirshman told “Good Morning America.”

This person has obviously never tried to get kids through their homework, plan, shop for and prepare a week’s worth of healthy meals, re-caulk the bathtub, teach the kids more effective ways to settle disagreements, write a Church newsletter (it seems like the stay-at-home parents are often the ones doing these things), plan and lead a Cub Scout meeting, clean the living room, do the laundry, find time for exercise, balance a budget and more, every week.

Being a stay-at-home parent requires all the competence you can muster!

[quote=bquinnan]This person has obviously never tried to get kids through their homework, plan, shop for and prepare a week’s worth of healthy meals, re-caulk the bathtub, teach the kids more effective ways to settle disagreements, write a Church newsletter (it seems like the stay-at-home parents are often the ones doing these things), plan and lead a Cub Scout meeting, clean the living room, do the laundry, find time for exercise, balance a budget and more, every week.

Being a stay-at-home parent requires all the competence you can muster!
[/quote]

:yup: Very true!

[quote=CatholicSam]One-child-per-family policy = negative population growth = problems and great decline in the nation. Why do “feminists” insist on ignoring this tried and tested conclusion? It’s been proven again and again all over the world that negative population growth is disastrous for a country.
[/quote]

Actually, the ideal is no children at all. You can have one child if you must, but you need to get back in the workforce likety-split!

So I’m guessing it’s all the uneducated, incompetent women who are supposed to supply the next generation. Then society can properly educate all of the intelligent women from that generation since their mothers are too stupid. All the while the “education” should stress that they have an obligation to stay in the workplace. Thus, the cycle continues…

I think this notion of “letting down the team” is ludicrous. Anyone who has ever had a mother (I believe that is all of us :wink: ) should agree. I know I would have loved for my mom to be able to stay home even while I was in school.

I’m amazed that anyone is even willing to buy into anything this woman has to say. She is unbelievably shrill, arrogant, and demeaning. Her poor mother (unless she’s the one responsible and then shame on her).

I received a version of this when I was in college. I was finishing up my junior year at MIT (yes, that MIT) when I got married. I told anyone who asked that my intent was to finish up my bachelor’s degree and then stay home to raise a large family. All of my friends from the pro-life group were 100% supportive. All of my supposedly enlightened feminist friends were horrified, and more then one had the gall to ask, “Then why did you bother going to college?” :eek:

Margaret

[quote=Red Meg]I received a version of this when I was in college. I was finishing up my All of my supposedly enlightened feminist friends were horrified, and more then one had the gall to ask, “Then why did you bother going to college?” :eek:

Margaret
[/quote]

I have my own theory as to why the feminst movement has “failed” to re-structure the family. The ones who hold views like that woman’s aren’t having as many children, and therefore are contributing less to the size of the next generation. If they had more kids, they’d be able to raise their daughters (excuse me, they’d be able to pay someone else to raise their daughters) to espouse their beliefs. It’s not about getting the message out. It’s about the mathematical results of putting their beliefs into practice, as was alluded to by someone earlier.

Hehe. And these are some of the same people that complain about how not enough girls take math and science classes…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.