Are TAN Books Completely Reliable?

So far from what I’ve read, TAN books are completely inspirational for Catholics. Are they completely reliable for the Truth? I am considering becoming a customer on their site. Even though the Church does not make it a requirement to believe what these various Priests write, is a Catholic fully permitted to completely believe in what he or she reads in TAN books?
Has any material in TAN ever been opposed to Church teaching?

IF they have the Nihil epstate and imprimature, then Im sur thir clean.

The Douay-Rheims Bibl of coruse is clean…

For further answers, wait.

Hello All,

TAN Books has a lot of good resources, but also a lot of bad ones too. The books Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, True Devotion to Mary, A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture, Liberalism is a Sin, and College Apologetics are highly recommended. However, AA-1025, Alta Vendatta, Liturgical Shipwreck, Liturgical Time Bombs, and In the Murky Waters of Vatican II are strongly discouraged.

PMV,

TAN books has done some service to the Church by reprinting older texts which have gone out of print. But don’t for a minute expect anything out of them post Vatican II. To them the Church stopped in 1962, no, better make that 1958, when Pius XII died.

John

[quote=RikasAngel]TAN Books has a lot of good resources, but also a lot of bad ones too. The books Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, True Devotion to Mary*… * are strongly discouraged.
[/quote]

I almost had a heart attack, because I read your post just about like I quoted it… I read the first couple of titles and then skipped to the ending.

And I thought, Lord have Mercy, Rikas is dis’ing Ott! I put on my angry eyes and got ready to heat up my keyboard! But then I read it again and was much releived.

Are writers such as Fr. O’ Sullivan or Fr. Faber considered to be anti-Vatican II? Here’s the site which contains the books I am interested in; tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:browse_subjects/
Any suggestions on what I should and should not read?

[quote=PMV]Are writers such as Fr. O’ Sullivan or Fr. Faber considered to be anti-Vatican II? Here’s the site which contains the books I am interested in; tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:browse_subjects/
Any suggestions on what I should and should not read?
[/quote]

As far as I’m conserned, anything from TAN is fine reading, even the ones that criticize Vat II…

[quote=DavidFilmer]I almost had a heart attack, because I read your post just about like I quoted it… I read the first couple of titles and then skipped to the ending.

And I thought, Lord have Mercy, Rikas is dis’ing Ott! I put on my angry eyes and got ready to heat up my keyboard! But then I read it again and was much releived.
[/quote]

:rotfl:

No, not all TAN Books are completely reliable. Though they publish many fine, pre-Vatican II books that are perfectly orthodox, they also publish sedevacantist literature.

What does TAN mean? :S

TAN Books and Publishers, Inc. is a company that publishes traditional(ist) Catholic books. TAN is the initials of its founder, Thomas A. Nelson.
I don’t think he’s any relation to the Protestant Bible publisher, Thomas Nelson & Sons

I have one of their books, This is the Faith, by Canon Francis Ripley. It is a reprint from the 1950s, when it was first published. It is set up like the Baltimore Catechism, with questions and answers. However, the answers are in paragraph form.

[quote=PMV]So far from what I’ve read, TAN books are completely inspirational for Catholics. Are they completely reliable for the Truth? I am considering becoming a customer on their site. Even though the Church does not make it a requirement to believe what these various Priests write, is a Catholic fully permitted to completely believe in what he or she reads in TAN books?
Has any material in TAN ever been opposed to Church teaching?
[/quote]

Some of them take a (doubtless unintentionally) inventive approach to ascertainable fact, partly because some of them are rather old and dated.

And that is not good ##

[quote=RikasAngel]Hello All,

TAN Books has a lot of good resources, but also a lot of bad ones too. The books Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, True Devotion to Mary, A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture, Liberalism is a Sin, and College Apologetics are highly recommended. However, AA-1025, Alta Vendatta, Liturgical Shipwreck, Liturgical Time Bombs, and In the Murky Waters of Vatican II are strongly discouraged.
[/quote]

AA-1025 - dodgy

Liberalism is a Sin - dodgy (It might have been true for Spain in 1886 - but not for Europe, now.)

[/quote]

Ott is full of typos - and 50 years old, so not a good guide to Church teaching since V2. Ott need proof-reading, and revising. :slight_smile:

Here’s 2 cents from a Protestant perspective.

I don’t have anything against a Roman Catholic who wishes to write a book about Luther. Many such works exist. some of them are exellent (the works of Lortz, Todd, and Tavard come to mind).

I own one TAN book (of which I have 2 copies): the rerpint of Patrick O’Hare’s Facts About Luther. Originally printed in 1917, the book eventually sank below the surface and went out of print. It would have remained obscure, but TAN books resurrected it in 1987 with a new printing. TAN claims this book is:

“Incredible history; fascinating, damning evidence about [Luther] that is quite contrary to the popular image. Many quotes from his own mouth. Essential history!”

I’ve documented how terrible this book is:

ntrmin.org/The%20Roman%20Catholic%20Understanding%20of%20Martin%20Luther%201.htm

It’s a book filled with poor documentation and terrible ad hominem. Perhaps some of th other TAN books are better- but O’Hare’s Facts About Luther is the closest thing one can find to a Roman Catholic version Jack Chick.

Regards,
James Swan
ntrmin.org/rccorner-reformation.htm

I don’t buy from TAN, as I don’t wish to support their rad trad leanings. Even if you buy a text that doesn’t dump all over the post-Conciliar Church, buying anything from them aids in their “ministry.” I don’t give to religious organizations that are not steadfastly AND obediently Catholic. I urge others not to do so either.

I wish their were more publishers like TAN books!! Were else can you get such great books at such a low price and in bulk. I have used numerous books from TAN for evangelization like “Trustful surrender to divine providence” and “Twelve steps to holiness and salvation”. They are doing a great job at TAN and I highly recommend them to all. :smiley:

[quote=OurLadyOfEfes]I wish their were more publishers like TAN books!! Were else can you get such great books at such a low price and in bulk. I have used numerous books from TAN for evangelization like “Trustful surrender to divine providence” and “Twelve steps to holiness and salvation”. They are doing a great job at TAN and I highly recommend them to all. :smiley:
[/quote]

And then they are able to continue their diatribes against the legitimate authority of the Church in the person of the Council and the Successors of Saint Peter, ordained by Christ to lead the Church. Thus, the faithful are lead into doubt, scandal is given to non-believers and non-Catholics, and Satan wins a small victory.

I would buy the TAN books that do not oppose Vatican II. Although the publishers may be against the present Church, their writings on miracles, the Four Last Things (death, judgement, Heaven, Hell), prayer, morality, Catholic practices and writings from the saints are informative and inspirational. I think there is a lot of truth to be discovered by reading these books. I think I will register to the site soon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.