Are tax payers paying for half of the Pope's visit, or is the media winding people up?

bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/05/who_should_pay_for_the_popes_v.html

The Papal visit will cost £15m, not including extra policing and security, most of which will be spent on three open-air masses which the Church says could attract up to 400,000 people in total.

The Church's share of the cost is £7m, and with slightly less than half of it raised, congregations are being asked to contribute via the collection plate.

I'm getting fed up of all this anti-Catholic stuff in the media. 98% of the responses are negative.

The government of the UK invited the pope to make a state visit. In the case of state visits by other leaders, doesn't the government normally pay for the associated costs?

Granted, the comparison is difficult since other leaders don't hold mass rallies. But the UK government paying the cost of some of the visit doesn't seem out of place.

The BBC is a government organisation. The government is complaining about a government invitation. That’s stupid.

[naughty, naughty, you used the “s” word. tch, tch, tch]

There is an ongoing discussion elsewhere in which we are seeking PC replacement candidates for the “i” word [idiots] and which could also fill the purpose of replacing the “s” word.

Candidates for the Annual Darwin Award

seems to be one of the front runners.

Other candidates that may be too too outre:

Clueless [as in lacking a clue]

Feckless [as in lacking a … , well you get the point]

We call it “Stinkin’ Thinkin” :smiley:

While the BBC has the ability to annoy me immensely (on the grounds of its perpetual self-satisfied arrogance), it’s not a government organization.

Really? I was told that it was because the government funds it through the television licence.

I’m sorry everyone for using the ‘s’ word lol.

The BBC is **not **a government organisation.

It does operate under a Royal Charter:

The BBC has operated since its creation in 1927 under a Royal Charter as a public corporation. The Charter decreed that the BBC’s views be entirely independent of any private or governmental influence. It is thereby required to be free from both political and commercial influence and answer only to its viewers and listeners.

The current Charter[15] came into effect on 1 January 2007 and runs until 31 December 2016. The Royal Charter is reviewed every 10 years.

The 2007 Charter specifies that the mission of the Corporation is to “inform, educate and entertain”. It states that the Corporation exists to serve the public interest and to promote its public purposes:

Sustaining citizenship and civil society;
Promoting education and learning;
Stimulating creativity and cultural excellence;
Representing the UK, its nations, regions and communities;
Bringing the UK to the world and the world to the UK;
Helping to deliver to the public the benefit of emerging communications technologies and services, and taking a leading role in the switchover to digital television.
This Charter also created the largest change in the governance of the Corporation since its inception. It abolished the sometimes controversial governing body, the Board of Governors, and replaced it with the BBC Trust and a formalised Executive Board

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

Tax payers dollars pay for the police, security services and civil service - all of which will be working on all 6 cylinders over the Papal visit - so in a way the tax payer is paying anyhows.

At the catholic mass I attended last week, we were asked to dig deep in a second collection to support the Papal Visit and consequent expense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.